British Speedway Forum

Brummies

Why would Poole or indeed any club agree to race in a 'higher' league on an off race night which would almost certainly lead to a big financial loss - despite tv revenue (which doesnt amount to that much in the overall scheme of things!) - and already be on the back foot as regards team building, despite Poole's previous successes at that level? Especially having lost money in their last 'successful' Elite League year!!

To move up and race on a Wednesday - maybe, if they have full access to their many assets  even those that may have 'agreed' 2024 with other clubs!!

(Sits back and awaits............?);)

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Why would Poole or indeed any club agree to race in a 'higher' league on an off race night which would almost certainly lead to a big financial loss - despite tv revenue (which doesnt amount to that much in the overall scheme of things!) - and already be on the back foot as regards team building, despite Poole's previous successes at that level? Especially having lost money in their last 'successful' Elite League year!!

To move up and race on a Wednesday - maybe, if they have full access to their many assets  even those that may have 'agreed' 2024 with other clubs!!

(Sits back and awaits............?);)

Only one reason that I've repeatedly explained. 

To save the TV deal, possible litigation by Disney and the skins of Management Committee who are actual Directors of BSPL Ltd with most to lose 

So if one Club Has to step up to make 6...will it be Poole or Scunthorpe? 

There has to be a minimum of 6 Clubs under TV deal doesn't there? 

If they need to make up the numbers for TV, How about allowing ghost teams to track share? Norwich could rise from the ashes and hold home meetings at KingsLynn and Ipswich. Peterborough could track share with Mildenhall and Kings Lynn,  Eastbourne could ride at Iwade and Southampton ride at the Isle of Wight. Swindon could ride electric bikes at home an conventional machines at away meetings. Few more teams to solve the problem and create even more fixture chaos but what’s new, it cannot be any worse than the current model.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

If they need to make up the numbers for TV, How about allowing ghost teams to track share? Norwich could rise from the ashes and hold home meetings at KingsLynn and Ipswich. Peterborough could track share with Mildenhall and Kings Lynn,  Eastbourne could ride at Iwade and Southampton ride at the Isle of Wight. Swindon could ride electric bikes at home an conventional machines at away meetings. Few more teams to solve the problem and create even more fixture chaos but what’s new, it cannot be any worse than the current model.

Isn't there a rule somewhere that you are not allowed to track share? 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I'm  thinking you've just 'leaked' the new five year plan ahead of the AGM. B)

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Me either. Obviously I am missing out on something that happens on a Thursday! ;)

It does seem odd, can understand a weekend club going to a Thursday being a no no for most fans, was a disaster for Eastbourne way back for one season in the Elite, but Weds to Thurs?  Maybe Spoons curry club or bingo or something....Having said all that most club fans always prefer their traditional night whatever it is, so probably just creatures of habit I suppose, whether the 'incentive ' of Premiership racing is enough to change the habit, almost certainly not I imagine. 

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Tradition! It works so why change it?

I guess it's a retirement area and older people are more set in their ways and resistant to change. So it makes sense :D

24 hours really really shouldn't make that much difference though.

7 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Imagine how many meetings Bomber could ride in? 

He diary would be so full he could end up guesting for himself....:D

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, noaksey said:

Presumably Oxford physically can't run on Thursdays but Poole can if they choose to?

It's Mondays that are the problem for Oxford. They have an SIS deal which requires a greyhound meeting every Monday. Possible they could race away on Mondays and home on Thursdays?

2 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

It's Mondays that are the problem for Oxford. They have an SIS deal which requires a greyhound meeting every Monday. Possible they could race away on Mondays and home on Thursdays?

Only Belle Vue ride home matches on a Monday now so presumably that wouldn't work 

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I guess it's a retirement area and older people are more set in their ways and resistant to change. So it makes sense :D

24 hours really really shouldn't make that much difference though.

Well in this case I have to cancel my Monday evening plans to fit in my speedway fix. It’s a good job I’m considered hard core.

54 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Doesn't look like it!

I'd certainly like to hear something from Nigel and his Partners by the end of the week. 

He's gone above and beyond and in my opinion deserves to tell his side of the story first either way. 

What we don't want nor need is some form of Management Committee embargo or fudge. 

If we can't run despite valiant efforts and due to Landlords we need to know soon as it is known, not as an afterthought in some BSPL fudge. 

In Nigel we trust.