British Speedway Forum

SGP wild cards 2024

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

As long as they continue to block the Russians it's pretty much invalid as a World Championship as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if they should put in some sort of legal challenge against this, seeing as Russian competitors are able to tale part in other individual sports under a neutral flag.

Look at tennis, for example. The recent US open had a Russian in the men's final and a Belarussian in the women's final. Even Wimbledon relented this year and allowed them back in after their points were removed from the World ranking the previous year..

I even remember a statement being made by the Russian federation a couple of years ago stating that they had banned Laguta from competing for Russia due to comments made about Putin.

There is no valid reason to exclude them any more than there would have been to exclude Hancock and Loram because of the Iraq war.

Tennis is a bad example where Poland is concerned though.

A Russian player was immediately deported from the country when trying to enter a couple of months ago

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/12925684/vera-zvonareva-russian-player-is-barred-from-entering-poland-for-warsaw-open-tournament

The only reason that they can't do the same to the speedway riders is because they have been living and working and benefitting from a way of life in Poland for many years.  All whilst representing Russia on the world scene which is what makes them unpalatable to most Polish people.

The ban on Russians isn't just a speedway thing. The FIM don't let them compete in other disciplines either.  You know, the popular disciplines that people go and watch in large numbers.  They can't just take a different line with speedway because 2 of the better riders happen to be Russian.

Edited by CB252
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CB252 said:

Tennis is a bad example where Poland is concerned though.

A Russian player was immediately deported from the country when trying to enter a couple of months ago

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/12925684/vera-zvonareva-russian-player-is-barred-from-entering-poland-for-warsaw-open-tournament

The only reason that they can't do the same to the speedway riders is because they have been living and working and benefitting from a way of life in Poland for many years.  All whilst representing Russia on the world scene which is what makes them unpalatable to most Polish people.

Spot on. The PZM will never put them forward.

10 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The Gp qualifiers were very lopsided need to seed it better.

Don't they just allocate spots to Federations, and they select the riders for the meetings ? I seem to remember Wölbert complaining about always being selected for long journeys, whereas other riders (Smolinski) seemed to always get selected for easier meetings

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

As long as they continue to block the Russians it's pretty much invalid as a World Championship as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if they should put in some sort of legal challenge against this, seeing as Russian competitors are able to tale part in other individual sports under a neutral flag.

Look at tennis, for example. The recent US open had a Russian in the men's final and a Belarussian in the women's final. Even Wimbledon relented this year and allowed them back in after their points were removed from the World ranking the previous year..

I even remember a statement being made by the Russian federation a couple of years ago stating that they had banned Laguta from competing for Russia due to comments made about Putin.

There is no valid reason to exclude them any more than there would have been to exclude Hancock and Loram because of the Iraq war.

100% CORRECT...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

100% CORRECT...

Not really. In this instance you're talking about a conflict in a country that shares a direct border with Poland, which is the country that the SGP relies on, almost exclusively, to keep it afloat.

I would like to have seen the Iraq GP go ahead back in the day though.

Edited by CB252
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CB252 said:

Not really. In this instance your talking about a conflict in a country that shares a direct border with Poland, which is the country that the SGP relies on, almost exclusively, to keep it afloat.

I would like to have seen the Iraq GP go ahead back in the day though.

what with all those weapons of mass destruction knocking about. :shock:

Does anyone actually know if Emil and Artem want to do the GP series? No one seems to have any factual evidence that they actually want to be included. 

At the end of the day, we're all speedway fans, just be grateful there is still a world recognised championship to watch. 

6 hours ago, CB252 said:

So Huckenbeck and Lebedevs I guess are everyone's main issue. Can't do much about Kvech as he qualified.

They want to try and cement the series in Germany and Latvia so they've given them a spot.

Hard to argue that Kubera isn't worthy of a shot instead of Magic or Dudek.

How did Kvech qualify?

Not a surprise, but not sure Woffinden deserved another wildcard.

It makes a mockery of the sporting contest where you can be selected because your face fits or because of being a world champion five years ago, rather than because you earned the right to be there based off form over the last 12 months.  

Wildcards should only ever be reserved for riders who were on target for qualification but injury prevented. 

• Like 1

:rolleyes:
“Woke” !?

”Never watching it again!”

Jeez, the drama queens are out in force on this one. Let’s see if they are not watching it next year and they back up their big words with action: 

Of course Laguta and Saifutdinov are among the best in the world. I get that. But the isolation of Russia from international sport (in many cases). I get that too. There are.bigger things than speedway. 

• Like 2

Without any shadow of a doubt, the WORST quality GP line up EVER! Sadly sums up the state of World speedway without the Russians, might as well give Bartosz the title NOW as he's the only one with real World class in it! Some of the wild cards picks are utterly embarrassing! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JC71 said:

One thing I will say, several years ago (?2013), Tai Woffendin was given a wildcard, probably due to nationality. Cue much mirth and derision (sponsored by Audi, 0000) etc......... and look how that turned out....... 

I hope he does repeat history, but let’s be honest based on his recent form I don’t see him finishing top 6. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheReturn said:

I hope he does repeat history, but let’s be honest based on his recent form I don’t see him finishing top 6. 

Ah it was more to do with a new rider coming in, and surprising everyone. I love Tai, he got me back into watching the GPs........ I'm not convinced he should be there next season (though I'm happy he is)

• Like 1