British Speedway Forum

RYE HOUSE

Just an enquiry from someone who doesn't know the area where Rye House is situated - would there be any possibility of a ground share with Grays Athletics FC

It is only a mile and a half from Lakeside speedway so more applicable there. I always felt the Hammers could have looked at it (they may have and had reasons not to pursue) . It isn’t in Grays, but the former Thurrock (originally Purfleet) FC ground alongside the Best Western next to the M25 opposite the services at “Arena Essex”. So close.

Grays have been nomadic for 14 years since their central ground in the town was sold for redevelopment. They currently play in Tilbury.

The owner of Thurrock FC, the good guy in it all, was taken seriously ill and put the club up for sale but with no takers and unable to continue, it has been empty since 21st April 2018 when my own team lost there.

I am a bit hazy on the actual ownership statuses now, but assume it is a car preparation plant, who now own the freehold as they have been trying to develop the site for around 5 years being denied as it is on green belt and dedicated for sports use. They needed to have a sports club to tie up with but even so, their type of industry was seen as incompatible with the green belt. I am sure a Wolves type speedway track could have been put inside the ground but not around the pitch, but again feel the car company would only have been interested if planning consent to develop their buildings was included. Being so close to junctions 30 and 31 of the M25 it should be a cash cow as a recovery centre for breakdowns and accidents there. 

Given it is, albeit with acoustic fencing alongside, next to the M25 I imagine the sound insulation at the hotel would have meant no noise issues for speedway. Again, there is land behind the far goal, where a Weymouth noughties style track could have been included but green belt issues and “owner” reluctance would not be in favour now that they have consent and have given Grays FC £500k to develop the existing ground, I would say no chance of any other tenants or development. 

A shame as the food there was among the best in the Isthmian League. A bigger shame that the “clubhouse” at the speedway has been demolished but the footprint of the tracks is still visible, so could still be in use.

Edited by Mr Ore

1 hour ago, brianbuck said:

Thanks for the detailed info. I don't know the area well, but I just wondered!

It was a sensible question Brian. Sorry to have drifted the thread towards Lakeside in responding. My last comment regarding the track still being there also referred to Lakeside. Would be good to have both back  

1 hour ago, Mr Ore said:

It was a sensible question Brian. Sorry to have drifted the thread towards Lakeside in responding. My last comment regarding the track still being there also referred to Lakeside. Would be good to have both back  

Absolutetely

It certainly would. My best wishes to those people doing their damnedest to make this happen. I never had the pleasure of visiting Lakeside's stadium, but I first visited Rye House in 1958 when I was 18. It was then the original circuit with the board fence and the black cinder surface, which stuck to your hair and face when it hit you, but I enjoyed the racing there and made several further visits over the years.

Edited by brianbuck

7 hours ago, brianbuck said:

It certainly would. My best wishes to those people doing their damnedest to make this happen. I never had the pleasure of visiting Lakeside's stadium, but I first visited Rye House in 1958 when I was 18. It was then the original circuit with the board fence and the black cinder surface, which stuck to your hair and face when it hit you, but I enjoyed the racing there and made several further visits over the years.

If we are reminiscing my first visit to Rye House was during a student placement in Birmingham. I'd been looking forward to doing the trip to Rayleigh at the start of the 1974 season but when they closed and moved to Hoddesdon the match was rearranged for just before I returned to Uni. IIRC a Mr Brian Buck took my coach booking at the supporters' hut on 1st/2nd bend  :D

The Rye House stadium is right in the middle of Hoddesdon and I'm not sure if the local residents are sympathetic about the loss of speedway in their town. People on here have mentioned about the rundown look of the stadium when it hosted speedway. In my opinion, Len Silver had a great opportunity to secure the longevity of Rye House Speedway, but failed. If it returns, wonderful, but I wouldn't bet on it. The club had its chance, when it was lost before, but has squandered that lease of life, in my opinion. :cry:  

On 6/28/2024 at 9:28 PM, Ray Stadia said:

The Rye House stadium is right in the middle of Hoddesdon and I'm not sure if the local residents are sympathetic about the loss of speedway in their town. People on here have mentioned about the rundown look of the stadium when it hosted speedway. In my opinion, Len Silver had a great opportunity to secure the longevity of Rye House Speedway, but failed. If it returns, wonderful, but I wouldn't bet on it. The club had its chance, when it was lost before, but has squandered that lease of life, in my opinion. :cry:  

Unfortunately, Len Silver decided to take the money and run with no thought of the outcome. Another who has to take responsibility for the unnecessary closure of the club.

He stopped investing in the stadium towards the end of his time as well as running teams on the cheap. A shame as he put good teams together and created a nice little venue round 2004- 2008

I wouldn't have thought noise or local residents would be the main problem. The nearest houses are across the River Lea and speedway was still running when they were built so would have been aware of the stadium.

The Rye House Group aren't in a good position with a demolition notice against them and planning denied for the area where the track was. They have spunked a lot of money for little return and are likely to have to rip out a lot of the building work out if they don't win their appeal. They must be in breach of their lease with the Lee Valley Park Authority as well. The arrogance and spite from them has bitten them in the backside.

• Like 1