British Speedway Forum

Ipswich v Sheffield play off final 1st leg

32 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

To me it seems he is so desperate for Sheffield to win he is trying to make out that Harris will have a bad night which will gift Ipswich the title whereas in reality all known previous form suggests otherwise. 

Correct it’s clear as day what he’s doing. Underplaying Harris and Sheffields chances despite the evidence thrown his way that contradicts literally everything he’s saying. People aren’t daft to fool for that codswallop. Personally I think he’s still smarting from Swindon’s demise and Seeing an ex Swindon stalwart in Doyle leading another team to victory rankles just a bit too much. He’s free to root for whoever he likes though I’m sure every neutral will more than likely pick a side who they’d prefer to win. 

Edited by Aries

4 minutes ago, Aries said:

Correct it’s clear as day what he’s doing. Underplaying Harris and Sheffields chances despite the evidence thrown his way that contradicts literally everything he’s saying. People aren’t daft to fool for that codswallop. Personally I think he’s still smarting from Swindon’s demise and Seeing an ex Swindon stalwart in Doyle leading another team to victory rankles just a bit too much. 

Of course all Ipswich will be happy if he has a bad night! He had a breakdown last night and he only scored 4 in the crucial Leicester meeting so there is hope 

Edited by foreverblue

Louis has a decision to make on the track. It was very grippy and tricky to ride by all accounts for the Cup match and Holder, Howarth and Pickering were all useless and didn’t fancy it on the night. That would play in to Harris’ hands though. Make it a bit slicker and easier to ride then Holder will get stuck in and be a threat. Ipswich have to take at least a 10 point lead going to Sheffield IMO. Watching them on Thursday the middle order pair of Holder and Pickering will get heat advantages all night long at Sheffield over King and Rew unless King brings his A game. 

13 minutes ago, Aries said:

Louis has a decision to make on the track. It was very grippy and tricky to ride by all accounts for the Cup match and Holder, Howarth and Pickering were all useless and didn’t fancy it on the night. That would play in to Harris’ hands though. Make it a bit slicker and easier to ride then Holder will get stuck in and be a threat. Ipswich have to take at least a 10 point lead going to Sheffield IMO. Watching them on Thursday the middle order pair of Holder and Pickering will get heat advantages all night long at Sheffield over King and Rew unless King brings his A game. 

I did notice King hasnt ridden too well at Redcar but I thought he was superb at Foxhall,nearly won a race after getting into trouble so he maybe keeping his best bikes at Foxhall. I would imagine a league title with Ipswich is very high on his bucket list.

11 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I did notice King hasnt ridden too well at Redcar but I thought he was superb at Foxhall,nearly won a race after getting into trouble so he maybe keeping his best bikes at Foxhall. I would imagine a league title with Ipswich is very high on his bucket list.

King has been in really good form through most of September for both clubs but just the last week or two as you say, he’s just starting to drop off it a bit. Desperately need him firing. We also can’t afford to carry anybody so Riss is going to have to contribute something over the next two meetings if we’re to be successful. A repeat of his three duck eggs at Belle Vue will be a disaster, especially without Rew taking a ride as Hume is unlikely to fair much better away from home. By his own admission he’s been surprised and very grateful the promotion stuck by him this year, he now has a golden opportunity to repay that loyalty. 

• Like 2

May the best team win over 2 legs.  I don’t mind which team wins - it will just be good to see these 2 teams doing their best to win it.  Guests are a necessary evil and I’m sure if you were to ask any Sheffield supporter, they would much rather have their own riders over any guests but those are the cards they have been dealt.  The rules allow Harris to ride (as they have all season) so no point in complaining - although if he had only scored a handful of points in the semis  I’m sure no one would be complaining :wink: C’mon the Ipsfield Robins (including those currently injured) :t:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

To me it seems he is so desperate for Sheffield to win he is trying to make out that Harris will have a bad night which will gift Ipswich the title whereas in reality all known previous form suggests otherwise. 

Why would I want Sheff  to win.? Just a pure neutral looking to see a decent final ..I have opinion that Harris won't score that many this time based upon the opposition he's against, nothing more nothing less.No idea what the big uproar and drama is about expressing that view 

17 minutes ago, orion said:

Why would I want Sheff  to win.? Just a pure neutral looking to see a decent final ..I have opinion that Harris won't score that many this time based upon the opposition he's against, nothing more nothing less.No idea what the big uproar and drama is about expressing that view 

No drama from me , I dont know why you would want Sheffield to win but that is what your posts indicate.I dont mind either except like BV last year, it seems Sheffield have benefitted from using guests.I hope it is a great meeting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aries said:

Make it grippy....

Doyle and Emil ride anything well so won't be bothered and King will also like it...

And the racing hopefully will be better for it...

The Aces were poor last Monday but both sets of riders were well strung out in virtually every race regardless of finishing order...

Good luck to Ipswich....  

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Make it grippy....

Doyle and Emil ride anything well so won't be bothered and King will also like it...

And the racing hopefully will be better for it...

The Aces were poor last Monday but both sets of riders were well strung out in virtually every race regardless of finishing order...

Good luck to Ipswich....  

Ipswich can and will prepare it as they like but not too grippy please, as a neutral I don't want to see riders struggling to get round. 

Will be interesting to see if Lambert can lower the colours of the Witches top two on a consistent basis tomorrow, I fear Ippo will run away with the first leg and then possibly the tie if not. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Ipswich can and will prepare it as they like but not too grippy please, as a neutral I don't want to see riders struggling to get round. 

Will be interesting to see if Lambert can lower the colours of the Witches top two on a consistent basis tomorrow, I fear Ippo will run away with the first leg and then possibly the tie if not. 

I think they need a good lead and although Lambert probably not that keen on Foxhall I expect he will go well and could beat Doyle or Emil, maybe both.

Can see a Witches win by 10-12 leaving the aggregate finely balanced 

Bound to be a few surprises through the tie where one of the big boys runs a last or the lower end get a win (either side)

It's a final and the adrenaline will be pumping

I hope the Witches can edge it - after all can the sport afford to inscribe Sheffield Multi Change and League Select Guests Tigers on the trophy?

;):P

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Bound to be a few surprises through the tie where one of the big boys runs a last or the lower end get a win (either side)

I hope the Witches can edge it - after all can the sport afford to inscribe Sheffield Multi Change and League Select Guests Tigers on the trophy?

Better hope they have a big enough trophy to fit all that on it! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

or even an Ipswich trophy for winning the semi final using guests

• Haha 1

Track HAS to be grippy like previous 2 matches ... a proper Foxhsll track 

This wiill suit the Witches whereby Holder , Lambert, Pickering and Mountain won't like it.

As for the racing I don't care if its a thriller as long as the Witches come out on top... Witches hitting at least 55 would be lovely with a gate and go fest. B)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Track HAS to be grippy like previous 2 matches ... a proper Foxhsll track 

This wiill suit the Witches whereby Holder , Lambert, Pickering and Mountain won't like it.

As for the racing I don't care if its a thriller as long as the Witches come out on top... Witches hitting at least 55 would be lovely with a gate and go fest. B)

A grippy track may suit Lambert, may not suit Howarth. I think a Witches win of 12 would be acceptable to Ipswich.

These p off meetings show how modern day speedway has evolved. 

We have 2 types of rider. 
The large track gate and go head down bum up throttle jockey , who will show a clean pair of heels to almost anyone on a large pacy track such as Owlerton or NSS .

The small track technical rider who can master the art of turning on tight circuits , in both slick and grippy conditions. Their gating can be inconsistent but usually pass the throttle jockeys on their own tracks when mistakes are made. Foxhall, Monmore are examples. 

As in all sports there are a very small handful of riders who can ride any track well. 

so we see Ippo narrowly beating the NSS aces .. neither side happy on each others tracks apart from star riders Doyle and sayfootdinov. 
 The same scenario Ippo v Sheffield is in store.

my guess Doyle and sayfootdinov will be the difference. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

or even an Ipswich trophy for winning the semi final using guests

You cannot blame any team having to use guests,its speedway and they are the rules or changing your team for better overall strength, Ellis had to go, Kerr unfortunate casualty, imagine if you had Kerr at reserve tomorrow night. 

9 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

These p off meetings show how modern day speedway has evolved. 

We have 2 types of rider. 
The large track gate and go head down bum up throttle jockey , who will show a clean pair of heels to almost anyone on a large pacy track such as Owlerton or NSS .

The small track technical rider who can master the art of turning on tight circuits , in both slick and grippy conditions. Their gating can be inconsistent but usually pass the throttle jockeys on their own tracks when mistakes are made. Foxhall, Monmore are examples. 

As in all sports there are a very small handful of riders who can ride any track well. 

so we see Ippo narrowly beating the NSS aces .. neither side happy on each others tracks apart from star riders Doyle and sayfootdinov. 
 The same scenario Ippo v Sheffield is in store.

my guess Doyle and sayfootdinov will be the difference. 

They usually are, the biggest shock was Emil coming 3rd in a race at Belle Vue, getting stuck behind Riss who should of been sacked weeks ago,but that disappointment was put to bed in heat 15. 

Edited by foreverblue