British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2024

2 hours ago, emilali said:

Yet another meeting where Etheridge and Hume have cost Berwick this evening. Embarrassing management of the team keeping those two at the club for as long as they have. 

What about the TM, did he play his best cards every heat tonight?

Can’t understand the hate for Dickson tonight on the meeting thread and on this one.

Hagon was going better than Jye at that point of the meeting and was mixing it and I fancied he could’ve have beaten Worrall if Bomber hadn’t tried to send him in to the back straight fence on the second lap.

Garrad had to take another ride as it seems to me his 2 minutes exclusion in Heat 8 doesn’t count so therefore had to take heat 14 at that point, Kemp then as seems to be the case, went missing in a big race leaving us the unlikely task of overhauling Bomber in Heat 15.

Kemp and Kerr both made it too easy for Bomber to pass them in earlier races, I know he is almost impossible to stop when he’s charging but maybe don’t leave him the width of a bus to come round the outside of you on the last bend.

Too many what ifs and maybes but I’ve seen a lot of people pinning the loss on the TM which baffles me when out of the 4 “Bandits” in the team only one really showed up, if it wasn’t for a couple of good guest bookings which I’ve no doubt Stewart had a massive part in sorting, we’d have been a mile off against a fairly underwhelming Glasgow side.

Regardless of all that, the season is well and truly over and all we can do now is make a couple of changes and see how some riders stack up for next season.

Edited by Hamster00
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Normski said:

Kemp not much better tonight sadly, especially after he rode so well in the BSN Cup fixture at the star tof the season

I agree on Kemp as well he has been very inconsistent but not as bad as the other 2 mentioned imo. You could argue they need to replace 6 riders and just keep Kerr but that obviously wont happen at this stage. 

5 hours ago, Hamster00 said:

Can’t understand the hate for Dickson tonight on the meeting thread and on this one.

Hagon was going better than Jye at that point of the meeting and was mixing it and I fancied he could’ve have beaten Worrall if Bomber hadn’t tried to send him in to the back straight fence on the second lap.

Garrad had to take another ride as it seems to me his 2 minutes exclusion in Heat 8 doesn’t count so therefore had to take heat 14 at that point, Kemp then as seems to be the case, went missing in a big race leaving us the unlikely task of overhauling Bomber in Heat 15.

Kemp and Kerr both made it too easy for Bomber to pass them in earlier races, I know he is almost impossible to stop when he’s charging but maybe don’t leave him the width of a bus to come round the outside of you on the last bend.

Too many what ifs and maybes but I’ve seen a lot of people pinning the loss on the TM which baffles me when out of the 4 “Bandits” in the team only one really showed up, if it wasn’t for a couple of good guest bookings which I’ve no doubt Stewart had a massive part in sorting, we’d have been a mile off against a fairly underwhelming Glasgow side.

Regardless of all that, the season is well and truly over and all we can do now is make a couple of changes and see how some riders stack up for next season.

Glasgow were there for the taking last night and half way through the meeting it wouldn't have been a shock if Berwick won. The ht13 inspired comeback could have been nullified if Hagon was in ht14.

Next week hopefully Cami can communicate to his riders to get to the tapes on time, and stay in the saddle. Ht8 was avoidable nonsense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hamster00 said:

Because Dickson got it terribly wrong. If there was a chance Hagon would have scored in 13, then surely that translates to an almost certain win in heat 14?

If riders underperformed, then they rightly can be called on it too. Doesn't mean the TM gets a free pass on bad decisions.

The only defence Dickson can have is he thought ht 8 counted as a ride for Garrad & at the last minute was told he needed a 3rd ride, so had rode in ht 14, otherwise he should have been in ht 13.

Dickson certainly didn't cause the loss, that was the riders. But it could have been closer for the bonus point with more shrewd team managing. 

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, MD said:

Glasgow were there for the taking last night and half way through the meeting it wouldn't have been a shock if Berwick won. The ht13 inspired comeback could have been nullified if Hagon was in ht14.

Next week hopefully Cami can communicate to his riders to get to the tapes on time, and stay in the saddle. Ht8 was avoidable nonsense.

Surely its the responsibility of the rider and his team to make sure you get to the tapes on time and watch the clock

2 hours ago, MANSE said:

Surely its the responsibility of the rider and his team to make sure you get to the tapes on time and watch the clock

I agree but having your TM leave you in no doubt before leaving the pits cant do any harm.

6 hours ago, emilali said:

I agree on Kemp as well he has been very inconsistent but not as bad as the other 2 mentioned imo. You could argue they need to replace 6 riders and just keep Kerr but that obviously wont happen at this stage. 

That's a bit ridiculous. Kemp for example has been good this season, you don't drop him due to one "poor" match. Besides he scored his average last night. Strange people don't complain about his inconsistency in the good night lol!

The other riders team places could be under threat.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That's a bit ridiculous. Kemp for example has been good this season, you don't drop him due to one "poor" match. Besides he scored his average last night. Strange people don't complain about his inconsistency in the good night lol!

Kemp has done “his bit “this season IMO.

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

What good nights has he had in your opinion?

33 minutes ago, emilali said:

Scores at home 

Away

4,9,0 (withdrew injured),11,5,11,8,3,5

Signed on a 5.19. 

Only got less than 5 in 4 meetings, one where he crashed and withdrew failing to finish a race.

But no actual Berwick fan is calling for Drew Kemp to be dropped.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Scores at home 

Away

4,9,0 (withdrew injured),11,5,11,8,3,5

Signed on a 5.19. 

Only got less than 5 in 4 meetings, one where he crashed and withdrew failing to finish a race.

But no actual Berwick fan is calling for Drew Kemp to be dropped.

Do you think he’s an asset to the team? As I said initially for me it should be Hume and Etheridge that should be away but I dont think Kemps pulled up any trees personally given there was a feeling pre season he was on a low average.

32 minutes ago, emilali said:

Do you think he’s an asset to the team? As I said initially for me it should be Hume and Etheridge that should be away but I dont think Kemps pulled up any trees personally given there was a feeling pre season he was on a low average.

I think the way he comes across is that he’s difficult etc, but the riders and promotion seem to get on fine with him. I agree re Hume and Etheridge, although Hume done more than his job at home, but awful away. But he’s averaging 6 this season, signed on a 5.19, I’d say he’s done his job and what I expected of him imo.

3 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

I think the way he comes across is that he’s difficult etc, but the riders and promotion seem to get on fine with him. I agree re Hume and Etheridge, although Hume done more than his job at home, but awful away. But he’s averaging 6 this season, signed on a 5.19, I’d say he’s done his job and what I expected of him imo.

Hume had been very disappointing away and Etheridge is his usual injury prone self.

56 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Hume had been very disappointing away and Etheridge is his usual injury prone self.

Etheridge should be no were near a berwick team as he costs us time over time and needs to be gone! 

Hume has done a decent job for us so has kemp to an extent! But they both try as etheridge doesn't. 

Sooner rather than later would be best option 

Edited by Bandits go wild

6 hours ago, emilali said:

I would have to go through the fixtures to look, but I can remember a few double figure scores.

Logically if his average has risen then for every poor match he's had, he must of had a good match to, otherwise his average would have dropped.

Don't forget Kemp got his 5.5 average at reserve last year, this year he's upped that (slightly) in the top 5.

I'm sure Kemp will no doubt want to kick on further, but I see no reason for anyone to be unhappy with his form so far.

• Like 1

Berwick with a month off now, will there be any changes when they return to track action? Will Borke be fit by then?

Looks like it'll be a fight to avoid the wooden spoon when they resume.

At the moment I'd say Berwick, Edinburgh, Plymouth & Redcar look like the bottom 4. Think Bandits may be relying on other clubs dropping home points?

The thing is, Berwick can make changes and bring in two new riders, with the two injured guys -- neither seemingly likely to be fit again this year -- being replaced without disturbing the others.

Which action might freshen up the squad for the last half-dozen matches.

It might also be time to give Freddy Hodder -- who has real talent and will come again -- a rest, as his sad string of zeros must be draining his confidence.

Jason Garrad got stuck in over the weekend, didn't he?

9 hours ago, crescent girl said:

The thing is, Berwick can make changes and bring in two new riders, with the two injured guys -- neither seemingly likely to be fit again this year -- being replaced without disturbing the others.

Which action might freshen up the squad for the last half-dozen matches.

It might also be time to give Freddy Hodder -- who has real talent and will come again -- a rest, as his sad string of zeros must be draining his confidence.

Jason Garrad got stuck in over the weekend, didn't he?

Some strong hints there Dick.