British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Vs Oxford play offs 26/9/23

Anzum

26 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Thinking about this, Glasgow must have a back up plan surely? To call it off early due to a bad forecast, and potentially lose any chance of making the final in the process is a bold call. You'd think they would have tried everything to get it on if it's their only chance. I'm convinced Glasgow must know either that there is a re-staging date in place before the cut off, or they know the cut off has been extended (I suspect the latter).

Personally I think the BSPL need to step in if the two clubs can’t agree a date maybe they have , If not then a date should be decided for them with a back up date i if the weather continues to not play ball.

Regardless if either team are missing riders for whatever reason.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Thinking about this, Glasgow must have a back up plan surely? To call it off early due to a bad forecast, and potentially lose any chance of making the final in the process is a bold call. You'd think they would have tried everything to get it on if it's their only chance. I'm convinced Glasgow must know either that there is a re-staging date in place before the cut off, or they know the cut off has been extended (I suspect the latter).

Didn't Glasgow cover the track for a meeting in the past, was it the GP challenge 

• Like 1

Was Tarasenko due to be missing tonight? Some talk (purely that) he was wasn’t on his morning flight suggests they either they told him not to bother as it was going to be called off or it was a tactical rain off as no Vissing  as well.

Either way gutting for the  end of season format and the fans. Let’s hope they can agree a date with full strength teams. 

Edited by J-D

30 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Would Scott and Sam be back?

Forecast no great for Sunday. Friday is best option to get chance of getting it in. However, Oxford should be allowed proper guests from say Edinburgh or scunny who probably be out by then. Not ideal but a better option than bowtell or equivalent for marsters

Edinburgh and Scunny both already riding Friday. I guess if Friday is a real option then Rory Schlein would be the only reasonable guest.

5 minutes ago, J-D said:

Was Tarasenko due to be missing tonight? Some talk (purely that) he was wasn’t on his morning flight suggests they either they told him not to bother as it was going to be called off or it was a tactical rain off as no Vissing  as well.

Either way gutting for the  end of season format and the fans. Let’s hope they can agree a date with full strength teams. 

Tweet or whatever it's called now went out at 8, assume decision made before that so I'd assume told him not to bother.

On a side note bit stalkerish folk checking flight manifests nowadays looking for their conspiracy theory 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Edinburgh and Scunny both already riding Friday. I guess if Friday is a real option then Rory Schlein would be the only reasonable guest.

Wednesday and Thursday are a washout, Friday evening is also forecasting rain in the west of Scotland so if Glasgow are to stage this it will probably have to be Saturday and Nicholls will have to hand over his microphone to someone else and turn out for the speedway team he signed a contract with at the start of the season. As handsome as he may be it's not like anyone watches the GP's to see Scott Nicholls so I doubt he will be badly missed by the TV company or their viewers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

It didn't seem to with the pairs. But as you can use any 2 of your top 3 for that, you may well be right.

Scott doesn't seem too convinced about the call off.

https://x.com/scottnicholls78/status/1706628137050624012?s=20

He's been spending too much time with Kelvin - he either moaned when it was on or moaned when it was called off too

1 minute ago, bringbackHalifax said:

The rules were meetings must be completed by end of September. Redcar forced to go to Oxford last Sunday cannot be undone so it’s Saturday or bust. No extensions at this late stage as not fair on Redcar

Who forced Redcar? Maybe they agreed. Flint wasn’t a bad guest for Riss, so was just Bailey that was the issue, no? 

36 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

Wednesday and Thursday are a washout, Friday evening is also forecasting rain in the west of Scotland so if Glasgow are to stage this it will probably have to be Saturday and Nicholls will have to hand over his microphone to someone else and turn out for the speedway team he signed a contract with at the start of the season. As handsome as he may be it's not like anyone watches the GP's to see Scott Nicholls so I doubt he will be badly missed by the TV company or their viewers.

Are you serious?! Please don’t question Scott’s integrity he has been nothing but professional at Oxford this year. He has ridden through some devastating times for him and his family, when many others would have pulled out of meetings.

How do you know when he signed his contract with Discovery may be that was first. I’m Oxford through and through and yes I would love for Scott to be able to ride but if he is contracted to be with Discovery I understand that as the GP dates have been fixed for 12 months at least. 

23 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

The rules were meetings must be completed by end of September. Redcar forced to go to Oxford last Sunday cannot be undone so it’s Saturday or bust. No extensions at this late stage as not fair on Redcar

Where are these rules? Has anyone ever seen then written down anywhere?

• Haha 1