British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Vs Oxford play offs 26/9/23

Anzum

4 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

That’s down to each club leaving big gaps between fixtures. Hence why the end of September should stand, it’s not other clubs fault. Pretty sure we had this issue last year with Leicester and Glasgow and waiting for a fixture to be completed. 

Can’t argue with any of that , think it is more an issue getting riders available and working round there schedule and there is the problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Can’t keep extending cut offs though we’re do you stop.

As it is a summer sport the fixtures for the playoffs should and could have been completed by mid July.

But once again here we are trying to cram meetings in to complete the season when the weather doesn’t play ball.

Appreciate that, but as an Oxford fan...Glasgow forefitting is the last thing I want to happen.

Edited by Bojangles

2 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Fearing the wrath of the Glasgow fans for this...but perhaps this is karma for Glasgow's very tame calling off of this league fixture earlier in the year! 

That fixture has taken place this is a play off fixture now.

Its not Karma as you say it’s attempting to run a summer sport entering winter and expecting the weather to play ball.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Fearing the wrath of the Glasgow fans for this...but perhaps this is karma for Glasgow's very tame calling off of this league fixture earlier in the year! 

Considering the stick the promotion got for the Berwick meeting a couple of weeks earlier (when no rain had even been predicted) and another call off around the same time, no. It rains a lot in Glasgow. It's can also be very localised. They try to give certainty rather than leave people bored and grouchy hiding under a tin roof.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tocha said:

Unlikely I would have thought. Scott Nicholls is due be on duty with Discovery+ for the Torun SGP.

I agree Torun has been on the diary all year!No way will Oxford go to Glasgow without Scott unless they can track a rider who would cover well enough, Lawson?

Edited by Pirates Of Poole

1 minute ago, MartinBSN said:

There’s a full month to run 4 fixtures. Very unlikely it will run into November

Don’t come up to Scotland much in October then, if and it’s a big if Glasgow are in the mix then running into November is very likely.

2 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

The simplest thing to do is for Glasgow to go to Redcar and lose. That way everyone will be happy. The season fizzles out and clubs and riders lose out financially. But maybe, just maybe this will be the catalyst to do away with play offs.

It definitely would make things simpler. I'd rather not though! Playoffs aren't the issue. Completing the league fixtures on time is the issue.

1 minute ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I agree Torun has been on the diary all year!No way will Oxford go to Glasgow without Scott unless they can track a rider who would cover well enough, Lawson?

If that's the last day the fixture can run, can they really have a choice?

2 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

You can't have a guest from another team in the playoffs I believe, so very limited options to replace Nicholls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Shambolic fixtures once again. Get the league and play offs done first, then worry about the cup and trophy. We can't keep having this scrapping about in Sept and Oct to get the most important meetings of the season ridden. 

That’s too simple it seems.Same every season and has been pointed out before it’s normally the same Teams each season who make all the finals ( the best that season)