British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe 2024

1 hour ago, hackneyrocket said:

Having seen Rye House close after the decision to move up to the Premier, I hope Scunthorpe don’t make the same mistake.

I have no idea of the cost difference between the two leagues but surely points money must be more.

Poole quoted they saved 30% on costs when they moved down to the Championship in 2021. Although the difference could be more now with more top riders back? 

Just now, Skidder1 said:

Would make more sense for Rob Godfrey to renegotiate the 'minimum 6 teams' agreement with Discovery!!!

Would make more sense for Rob Godfrey to step away from the top table of Speedway altogether and concentrate on running Scunny, driving his tractor and centre green presenting :t:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neila said:

Heard this at the worky practice session on Sunday,  find it hard to believe,  but maybe Mr Godfrey coming in to save British speedway !!!

can only mean that when Rob is in Hungry for the fim meeting this weekend he will be finalising deals with Magic and Laguta wondered why he was shying away from signing Luke Harrison

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think you're all missing the blindingly obvious. 

Rob G has always paid what he can afford, always been on the case of those paying PL rates in CL. 

There will be 42 spaces in PL

He'll bank the TV money and basically pay higher CL rates and build a team to be competitive at home. 

Certain riders excel there, some of the fancy dan high earners will never have been there. 

He'll run PL on a budget and pick a team who'll ride for the pay. They will always be paid. 

He won't have the ego that says he has to win, that's not his style. 

Edited by HGould
Spell

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Luke asking for £10 a point would put Rob off.!!!!!!!!!!!

He'll pay considerably less than half the current CL in the PL. 

But he'll not lose money and have a competitive home team. 

If they average 25 points away he'll save money. 

He is very pragmatic. He's outlived a lot of dream merchants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

well certainly some deluded folk on here probably listening to Lewy and his source who said Steve Worrall is nailed on for scunny:D

Maybe he meant in the Premiership lol

1 hour ago, HGould said:

He'll pay considerably less than half the current CL in the PL. 

But he'll not lose money and have a competitive home team. 

If they average 25 points away he'll save money. 

He is very pragmatic. He's outlived a lot of dream merchants. 

I am glad somebody has said this. People give him stick for not spending money but in the same breath slag other promotions off for spending above their means.  I understand there’s a lot of disapproval towards Rob Godfrey (some of which is justified) but he has the interests of Scunthorpe Speedway at heart. Scunthorpe is not a club that can compete financially with the likes of Belle Vue or Sheffield for example, that’s quite apparent. So would be foolish to try. 

Whether  the club decide to make the move up or not, I can’t imagine Rob would do it and risk losing out financially. It’s a business decision and has to be treated that way to ensure the sustainability of the club. Why then people criticise this is beyond me. I am still personally undecided what is for the best but I’m sure the clubs interests are the priority and if that involves saving a few quid then what’s the problem? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stumper said:

I am glad somebody has said this. People give him stick for not spending money but in the same breath slag other promotions off for spending above their means.  I understand there’s a lot of disapproval towards Rob Godfrey (some of which is justified) but he has the interests of Scunthorpe Speedway at heart. Scunthorpe is not a club that can compete financially with the likes of Belle Vue or Sheffield for example, that’s quite apparent. So would be foolish to try. 

Whether  the club decide to make the move up or not, I can’t imagine Rob would do it and risk losing out financially. It’s a business decision and has to be treated that way to ensure the sustainability of the club. Why then people criticise this is beyond me. I am still personally undecided what is for the best but I’m sure the clubs interests are the priority and if that involves saving a few quid then what’s the problem? 

The best would be to stay put and see some great competitive racing.Premiership is a league of riders with too great differing standards .

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1