British Speedway Forum

Ipswich Witches 2024 serious team predictions

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

100% wrong move to charge Kids, especially if its just to gain £1 a head

BSPL should have made it mandatory that all clubs done kids 16 and Under FREE for the good of the sport

Couldn’t disagree more and surprised this has got a “like”. They should be charged more or at least change the age ranges for free entry. Toddlers and kids under 10 who attend with their parents fair enough, but I’ve seen groups of mid teens walk in at both Ipswich and Lynn and not have to pay a single penny. That can’t be right surely? Name another event whether that be football even lower league, cinema, or any other event you can think of, where 14 and 15 year old teenagers get in Scott free? An amateur bangers meeting will cost a child between 5 and 14 a tenna! And people think charging a quid at Speedway is out of order? Unbelievable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

100% wrong move to charge Kids, especially if its just to gain £1 a head

BSPL should have made it mandatory that all clubs done kids 16 and Under FREE for the good of the sport

Agree, but it should be accompanied by an adult as at Oxford where it has been very successful  

22 minutes ago, Aries said:

Couldn’t disagree more and surprised this has got a “like”. They should be charged more or at least change the age ranges for free entry. Toddlers and kids under 10 who attend with their parents fair enough, but I’ve seen groups of mid teens walk in at both Ipswich and Lynn and not have to pay a single penny. That can’t be right surely? Name another event whether that be football even lower league, cinema, or any other event you can think of, where 14 and 15 year old teenagers get in Scott free? An amateur bangers meeting will cost a child between 5 and 14 a tenna! And people think charging a quid at Speedway is out of order? Unbelievable. 

I couldn't disagree more with your perspective on Speedway entry charges for kids. While it might seem unusual compared to other events, the focus shouldn't solely be on immediate revenue. Speedway needs to prioritize building a sustainable fan base for the future.

Charging kids for entry can deter families from attending, as the financial burden may discourage parents from bringing their children to Speedway events. The average age of current Speedway supporters is relatively high, and it's crucial to attract younger audiences to ensure the sport's longevity.

By offering free entry for kids accompanying paying adults, Speedway is making a strategic investment in its future. The goal is to cultivate a love for the sport in the younger generation. As these kids grow into adults, they are more likely to become loyal fans who willingly pay for tickets. This long-term approach is essential for the survival and growth of Speedway.

Comparing Speedway entry charges to other sports may not be the most relevant metric. Instead, the focus should be on creating incentives for families and young individuals to choose Speedway as their entertainment of choice. It's about fostering a sense of community and passion for the sport, not just about the immediate revenue generated from kids' ticket sales.

In the grand scheme of things, whether it's 50p or £1 for a child's entry is a minor detail. The primary objective should be to secure the future of Speedway by building a diverse and enthusiastic fan base that will sustain the sport for years to come.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Aries said:

Agree here to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, Toady said:

Agree, but it should be accompanied by an adult as at Oxford where it has been very successful  

That’s the best way of doing it. The club get the attendance fee of the adult whilst the child is being introduced to the sport for free. Aries is correct, it is wrong that a group of teens can just walk in for free. At Ipswich it always used to be kids free with a paying adult, but for whatever reason, that changed to simply kids under 16 go free. End of the day it is still only a quid so hardly worth arguing over. Can’t even get a freddo for that these days. 

Just to chip in on this… my brother gets along to most home meetings and often has no childcare on a Thursday evening so takes his boys with him - he’s not too bothered if they don’t watch the action because he hasn’t shelled out for them. Will he swallow the extra pound each?… probably because it’s still so much cheaper than a sitter… but some fans in a similar position to him might find it is too much of an ask depending on their financial circumstances and then you have potentially ruled out some fans… think the Witches need to tread carefully on this.

Just had a look at other clubs and Wolves to me seem to have pitched it perfectly previously. Under 7 free, 7-12 £1 and 13-18 £6. That eliminates the issue of groups of teens walking in for free, under 7’s no charge as they’re not going to be attending without a paying adult, and a token quid for the 7-12’s. Sensible pricing. 

• Like 1

Are those group of teenagers that are getting a free night out really there for the speedway ? or are they there to go someone to be with their mates away from parents? They will happily pay the quid (as would the parents if truth be known)

Bigger issue is 16 and under is free. but then once the child gets to over 16 its £21 . thats why you rarely see many "students" at speedway. 

comparing season tickets Speedway is now more expensive than football in Ipswich... let that sink in :blink:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Are those group of teenagers that are getting a free night out really there for the speedway ? or are they there to go someone to be with their mates away from parents? They will happily pay the quid (as would the parents if truth be known)

Bigger issue is 16 and under is free. but then once the child gets to over 16 its £21 . thats why you rarely see many "students" at speedway. 

comparing season tickets Speedway is now more expensive than football in Ipswich... let that sink in :blink:

That really surprises me...:o

It's an interesting debate. I absolute get the 'groups of mid teens' thing, as someone has pointed out they do need to be accompanied by an adult. Although in Lynn's case I suspect Buster isn't really bothered as long as they are buying his food and drink!

Yes it's only a pound but to flip it round why bother changing at all in that case? I think speedway needs to do all it possibly can to engage younger customers to safeguard it's future but the ticket price is only a small part of that. Its been discussed to death before but it needs to provide more than just 15 heats and some dodgy music as a night out IMO to attract new people and keep them coming.

4 hours ago, Aries said:

Charge OAP’s extra not kids… ridiculous decision  

30 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Under 10’s free, up to 16 £5, 16-18 £10 would be what I would be looking at. No point having free until 16, as the 17 year olds just stop going when being charged adult prices.

Agree. They definitely need to look in to better pricing tiers for different age ranges rather than all or nothing (or practically nothing). The argument against is probably policing that at the turnstiles. 

Charge the oaps more,,, that's most of the crowd,, and its mostly them with all the spare cash. 

People like me that live alone that private rent have very little spare cash available once we have spent our money on essentials like booze, drugs and hookers

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Charge the oaps more,,, that's most of the crowd,, and its mostly them with all the spare cash. 

People like me that live alone that private rent have very little spare cash available once we have spent our money on essentials like booze, drugs and hookers

Best post of the year...:D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Badge said:

Arghhh

https://twitter.com/englishmaninBX/status/1739594004604256716?t=gDQyC-_bM_i6Fbwoe8QJtw&s=19

Damn won't share 

Basically Adam has dislocated shoulder racing in Oz today.

Let's hope he's sensible and rests up for a few weeks...

• Like 1