British Speedway Forum

Poole v Scunthorpe 13th September 2023 Champ playoffs 1st leg

6 minutes ago, therefused said:

Can you just use a facility for someone that is struggling? 

I meant struggling with his injury from the Edinburgh meeting. As what Skidder eluded to. Just don't want him pulling out after one ride and then we can only use reserves, if we use RR we can have Ben and Anders too. Depends how bad his arm is I suppose. 

They may have just got him to test it last night as Peterborough Vs Wolves had nothing riding on it. 

Edited by lisa-colette

24 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I meant struggling with his injury from the Edinburgh meeting. As what Skidder eluded to. Just don't want him pulling out after one ride and then we can only use reserves, if we use RR we can have Ben and Anders too. Depends how bad his arm is I suppose. 

They may have just got him to test it last night as Peterborough Vs Wolves had nothing riding on it. 

Can't be that bad he did 5 rides.

• Like 2

Nice to see Pirates  fans already writing the Scorpions off, we like to be the under dogs. Look at our side.  Ryan Douglas not topping the averages for nothing. MPT just coming back to form after a two month break. Lambo riding his socks off everywhere. Jake , always a dark horse capable of big wins. Connor due a big score. Drew, could be an ace at Reserve. Finally Nathan, lots to prove to the club that let him go.  If we keep it close on this leg, its ours for the taking at the EWR.;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scunny1 said:

Nice to see Pirates fans already writing the Scorpions off, we like to be the under dogs. Look at our side. Ryan Douglas not topping the averages for nothing. MPT just coming back to form after a two month break. Lambo riding his socks off everywhere. Jake, always a dark horse capable of big wins. Connor due a big score. Drew, could be an ace at Reserve. Finally Nathan, lots to prove to the club that let him go. If we keep it close on this leg, its ours for the taking at the EWR.;)

Scunthorpe are not a bad side, but still can't see past Poole winning the group. 

Does Nathan have anything to prove? Poole dropped him because he averaged less than 2.00 & they wanted strength in depth. He's upped his average to 3, so well done to him for that, but that's still lower than Poole's number 7, so whatever he scores, their tactics have been proved right. 

Scunthorpe could certainly win at home, but don't see them getting an aggregate win, would certainly make the group more interesting of they could though.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:56 AM, Neila said:

Mr Godfrey will make sure only one team can ride on a Friday nite :rolleyes:

On 9/10/2023 at 6:45 PM, IronScorpion said:

YAWN! YAWN! ... this is getting a bit old now(2018) ........ & not seen since as teams are now adhering to racing on alternative nights.

Tbh if he stopped clubs racing on Fridays so he could have a better choice of guests he deserves to be ridiculed for as long as people remember it imo

• Like 1

I'm back, Pirates are back, play offs are back & it's all down to WINborne Road where the Scorpions are gonna get beaten! 

Just waiting me National Express coach to London where a very tasty flat white awaits me.

Shout outs for Rob, Steve, Mike, Allen, Nigel & Val. Hi to all. :D

C'mon the PIRATES

You can do the bizzo! :t:

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Scunthorpe are not a bad side, but still can't see past Poole winning the group. 

Does Nathan have anything to prove? Poole dropped him because he averaged less than 2.00 & they wanted strength in depth. He's upped his average to 3, so well done to him for that, but that's still lower than Poole's number 7, so whatever he scores, their tactics have been proved right. 

Scunthorpe could certainly win at home, but don't see them getting an aggregate win, would certainly make the group more interesting of they could though.

Personally I would have liked to keep Nathan and King but I admit it has worked better having a stronger number 7 although King proved at Sheffield he can mix it with the best and raises his performance when needed which we may miss in the play offs.

Edited by foreverblue

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Personally I would have liked to keep Nathan and King but I admit it has worked better having a stronger number 7 although King proved at Sheffield he can mix it with the best and raises his performance when needed which we may miss in the play offs.

Didn't King ride for Sheffield when they were Champ though, so should do well there. Think they were both coming back til points limit got lowered. 

Anyway according to Poole twitter we are full strength so looks like Zach is riding. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Nice to see Pirates  fans already writing the Scorpions off, we like to be the under dogs. Look at our side.  Ryan Douglas not topping the averages for nothing. MPT just coming back to form after a two month break. Lambo riding his socks off everywhere. Jake , always a dark horse capable of big wins. Connor due a big score. Drew, could be an ace at Reserve. Finally Nathan, lots to prove to the club that let him go.  If we keep it close on this leg, its ours for the taking at the EWR.;)

Not sure that many Poole fans are 'writing off Scunthorpe'?  Scunny have riders who go well at Wimborne Road so Pirates will all have to be 100% on it to get a decent lead (No pressure!!), as this could turn out to be a real 'banana skin of a meeting'!

Its a bit overcast today but no rain forecast and no hot sun which should make track prep a little easier.

Lets go Racing.........!

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Didn't King ride for Sheffield when they were Champ though, so should do well there. Think they were both coming back til points limit got lowered. 

Anyway according to Poole twitter we are full strength so looks like Zach is riding. 

A rider of his experience should ride most tracks well although I doubt Chris Holder is looking forward to the Ipswich track tomorrow!  I thought Kyle Newman rode well at Sheffield, Glad Zach is riding, hope he is fit enough to ride to his usual standard.  We should win this fairly easily although Ryan Douglas is very good at Poole.

6 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

A rider of his experience should ride most tracks well although I doubt Chris Holder is looking forward to the Ipswich track tomorrow!  I thought Kyle Newman rode well at Sheffield, Glad Zach is riding, hope he is fit enough to ride to his usual standard.  We should win this fairly easily although Ryan Douglas is very good at Poole.

Not sure about easily. They scored 41 points last time and that was before they signed Kemp. Although we didn't have Lawson riding and Sedge only got 7. Can see a similar scoreline. 12 would be ideal though. 

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Not sure that many Poole fans are 'writing off Scunthorpe'?  Scunny have riders who go well at Wimborne Road so Pirates will all have to be 100% on it to get a decent lead (No pressure!!), as this could turn out to be a real 'banana skin of a meeting'!

Its a bit overcast today but no rain forecast and no hot sun which should make track prep a little easier.

Lets go Racing.........!

With respect you suggested that Zak Cook's injury might mean that tonight isn't 'quite so one sided' which could be construed as writing Scunny off from having a chance of winning  :)

Interested to see how ablett goes against Poole. Was some here mentioned thought had been "tapped up", to use a footballing term, prior the the scunny home league match. Given he scored inside of a bagel in that match but was paid for double figures the next week against Glasgow added bit of fuel to those flames

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not seeing anything like an easy win tonight at all. Would have much preferred Redcar in our group than Scunthorpe. With Douglas possibly the best rider around WR, Lambert on form, Palm Toft is no slouch and reserves who know Poole like the back of their hands and keen to put one over, this could be a right old banana skin. We have to be on it from the start or it could be a painful reminder that nothing is guarenteed.

• Like 2