British Speedway Forum

Poole v Scunthorpe 13th September 2023 Champ playoffs 1st leg

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Tarasenko will be a good replacement for Bomber on a 5 next season.!!

Technically Tarasenko, shouldn't be on a 5 average next season, he has a Prem ave that can be converted, rather than using an assessed average. But given Edinburgh signed Roynon on an old Champ converted average rather than a current Champ converted average, you never know what will happen!

• Like 1

I don't see Poole deviating much from this season's top 4 tbh. 29 points roughly gives 11 for the bottom end. Plus they've probably got Danny king if they need him too don't see them moving for dougy. 

Bomber, basso and dougy might find their averages difficult next season. One frustration about speedway is that success is penalised by making your average unattractive the next year 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I don't see Poole deviating much from this season's top 4 tbh. 29 points roughly gives 11 for the bottom end. Plus they've probably got Danny king if they need him too don't see them moving for dougy. 

Bomber, basso and dougy might find their averages difficult next season. One frustration about speedway is that success is penalised by making your average unattractive the next year 

Would be hard to have Bomber and Basso in the team and not being weak at reserve. Having the pair and say Danyon Hume and Ace Pijper at reserve would take about 26 points. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Would be hard to have Bomber and Basso in the team and not being weak at reserve. Having the pair and say Danyon Hume and Ace Pijper at reserve would take about 26 points. 

I think and hope the leagues will be amalgamated next year with no doubling up so averages may increased. 

2 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

Problem with making your team around the cooks is that isn’t one of them a Plymouth asset or is that not the case anymore I thought I read earlier in the season one was but I’m not sure which one it is.

Knowing Plymouth's luck it would be Craig 

• Haha 1

Just now, cinderfella said:

I think and hope the leagues will be amalgamated next year with no doubling up so averages may increased. 

Only way forward. Been saying it for quite a while now.  But with 6 man teams and a 2 pointer at the back.  Then at a guess you  could build to about 39/40

18 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

Problem with making your team around the cooks is that isn’t one of them a Plymouth asset or is that not the case anymore I thought I read earlier in the season one was but I’m not sure which one it is.

Zach cook is a Plymouth asset and could very well be in Plymouth’s plans next season. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Knowing Plymouth's luck it would be Craig 

Lol. It's Zach. All well and good having assets but you can't force them to ride for you. If they don't want to then they won't. That goes the other way too. I'm sure Poole have plenty of assets who aren't interested, I just can't think of anyone lol. Although tbh when it gets to that stage we usually swap assets with another club. Like Doyle and Magic with Swindon and Basso and Lawson with Glasgow. 

Interestingly if no Poole Zach's next choice is Redcar...

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Lol. It's Zach. All well and good having assets but you can't force them to ride for you. If they don't want to then they won't. That goes the other way too. I'm sure Poole have plenty of assets who aren't interested, I just can't think of anyone lol. Although tbh when it gets to that stage we usually swap assets with another club. Like Doyle and Magic with Swindon and Basso and Lawson with Glasgow. 

Interestingly if no Poole Zach's next choice is Redcar...

I wasn’t trying to be funny but if Plymouth want him and he says no then it will be up to Poole to buy him,if they don’t then you might only have one cook as Redcar might be prepared to buy him I bet money bags Glasgow would be interested as well could be interesting times this summer I wonder what mark Phillips might do.

10 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

I wasn’t trying to be funny but if Plymouth want him and he says no then it will be up to Poole to buy him,if they don’t then you might only have one cook as Redcar might be prepared to buy him I bet money bags Glasgow would be interested as well could be interesting times this summer I wonder what mark Phillips might do.

Riders have the power I'm afraid Mike. Glasgow can buy him but if he doesn't want to ride for them he won't. Same with most riders. That's why having them as an asset doesn't mean much these days apart from getting a loan fee if they decide to ride elsewhere or not having to pay a loan fee if they your asset and ride for that team. 

But hey maybe he does want to go back to Plymouth. I am only going on video interviews he's done about Poole being first choice and Redcar second. Could have changed his mind since then! 

6 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Makes absolutely no difference, we've seen this many times in the past eg Klingberg, Kennett, Miedzinski.

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Riders have the power I'm afraid Mike. Glasgow can buy him but if he doesn't want to ride for them he won't. Same with most riders. That's why having them as an asset doesn't mean much these days apart from getting a loan fee if they decide to ride elsewhere or not having to pay a loan fee if they your asset and ride for that team. 

But hey maybe he does want to go back to Plymouth. I am only going on video interviews he's done about Poole being first choice and Redcar second. Could have changed his mind since then! 

It's like back in the days of Rider Control back in the 60s and 70s.

The number of riders assigned to Scottish teams that refused to ride for them was embarrassing. 

Story goes Ivan Mauger was supposedly assigned to Coatbridge in 1973 but refused because a Friday track interfered with travel for his continental meetings. One of the reasons for him leaving Belle Vur who rode on a Sat if course

21 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The club that  a rider ends the season with has first option on his services for the next season, no matter if he's an asset or not.

Not correct, the club the rider finishes the season with must consent to another club speaking to him. If they don't consent they will get tapped up on the quiet,poole are well known for this.:t:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, lewy said:

Not correct, the club the rider finishes the season with must consent to another club speaking to him. If they don't consent they will get tapped up on the quiet,poole are well known for this.:t:

As are Glasgow, with a certain Benjamin Basso 

4 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

He wouldnt be contacting Plymouth then!

Very predictable reply. He certainly enjoyed himself this season scoring well and also made some favourable compliments about the track surface and prep. Maybe it wasn't the track it was just the club as a whole he didn't like. :t: