British Speedway Forum

Richie Worrall statement

11 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Whilst in no way condoning  the actions of Richie Worrall, the behaviour of Mr Vatcher doesn';t surprise me at all.

A guy with no particular skills arrived on the speedway scene at Arena Essex  (or Lakeside whatever it was called at the time) and contributed little to the team as assistant TM. Not seen what he adds to the British Speedway scene tbh.

He's been around Poole for years, maybe in the Jobs for the boys Club, going on alot lately.

12 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Whilst in no way condoning  the actions of Richie Worrall, the behaviour of Mr Vatcher doesn';t surprise me at all.

A guy with no particular skills arrived on the speedway scene at Arena Essex  (or Lakeside whatever it was called at the time) and contributed little to the team as assistant TM. Not seen what he adds to the British Speedway scene tbh.

I would agree with that, he comes across as a guy with very limited capabilities & he should be nowhere near the job he has. The stuff he puts out for for public consumption makes the SCB appear very amateurish .

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

In regards to the £3,000 fine that Richie had to pay (rightly or wrongly I don't care to debate)

Is this money going into the running of the sport in the country, the development of youth and facilities...

OR

is this money being spent on the promoters p!ss up in Tenerife...

This sport is ran by complete and utter tw@ts, so I think I know the answer... But I'm open to be proven wrong...

Straight into vatchers personal account !!

Genuine question, is there a scale/table of fines ie £1500 for failing a drug test, £3000 for bringing the sport into disrepute etc or is a figure just plucked out of the air and also what happens if the fine isn't paid, does it just increase (like parking tickets) or do bailiffs get sent in or is it just written off?

29 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Genuine question, is there a scale/table of fines ie £1500 for failing a drug test, £3000 for bringing the sport into disrepute etc or is a figure just plucked out of the air and also what happens if the fine isn't paid, does it just increase (like parking tickets) or do bailiffs get sent in or is it just written off?

It’s speedway,plucked out of the air would be my guess.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

It's one thing posting something dodgy on social media, it's another when you are under suspension for a drugs offence. I've urged a bit of compassion in this issue as young men frequently do silly things and shouldn't be burned at the stake for a first time offence. But posting about it and undermining the whole process afterwards is, frankly, stupid.

I won't go into the details, but a long time ago, I had a quite traumatic experience of someone close being spiked. It does happen.

However, if you are a professional sportsperson, then part of that professionalism is being extra vigilant on what enters your body. I have been on senior management teams alongside elite athletes and its is absolutely drummed into them again and again to be vigilant and examine every little ingredient of every medication. Athletes don't consume anything unless they are sure of its safety to the point of paranoia, eg. only drinking sealed bottled water when they are personally breaking the seal. Speedway being speedway, its unlikely such professionalism occurs.

The problem for the authorities is that they cannot go on the "how" of drugs cases, they can only go on the "what". That means sportspeople have to be held accountable for what is in their bodies, end of. If they are let off for being "spiked" or "never knowingly ingesting", then that sets a precedent for all future drugs cases. He may have taken drugs, he may have been clumsy. Either way he needs to own it and learn a harsh lesson.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

He'll remain suspended until the fine is paid.

Somebody (I can't remember who, a Reading rider maybe) from years ago never paid his and never rode again