British Speedway Forum

Richie Worrall statement

41 minutes ago, DJC said:

I'd hazard a guess there are only a few ways cocaine can get into your system and very few of those are inadvertently. 

He isn't really a 'young man', he's in his 30's and has been a 'professional sportsman' for almost 2 decades- it isn't a silly mistake - he should know better! 

and you can't seriously compare standing on a stage miming to jumping on a 60mph bike with no breaks with 13 other blokes? Give your head a wobble.

Then let me clarify for you. I'm saying taking his livelihood away for good is not appropriate, as some are suggesting.

He's made a mistake, he's been rightly punished. Boxall is a repeat offender and deserves much harsher treatment.  Of course Worrall should know better. Now he does. People make mistakes in life. This is a big one and he's been punished and - in the eyes of some - will be tarnished forever. There will always be plenty of folk charging out of the door with their pitch forks shouting "burn him", particularly in the extreme black and white media world folk inhabit. 

Real life doesn't work that way.

As far as I know Richie Worrall doesn't have a track record of misdemeanors, so let's been grown up about it and not treat him like some leper.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fatface said:

Then let me clarify for you. I'm saying taking his livelihood away for good is not appropriate, as some are suggesting.

He's made a mistake, he's been rightly punished. Boxall is a repeat offender and deserves much harsher treatment.  Of course Worrall should know better. Now he does. People make mistakes in life. This is a big one and he's been punished and - in the eyes of some - will be tarnished forever. There will always be plenty of folk charging out of the door with their pitch forks shouting "burn him", particularly in the extreme black and white media world folk inhabit. 

Real life doesn't work that way.

As far as I know Richie Worrall doesn't have a track record of misdemeanors, so let's been grown up about it and not treat him like some leper.   

Totally agree, it's not the first time a top rider has been caught taking drugs. Richie maybe thought he'd get away with it , how often he was doing this recreationaly is up to him but ignorance of after effects on himself and more importantly others is shameful. On the other hand if , as has come out his drink was spiked then he's been very unlucky.

Edited by ONTWOMINUTES
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Is the mitigation consideration that he got caught.Seems rather light sentence.IMO.Especially suspending 9 months of it.

The Mitigation was that his drink got spiked on a night out the weekend before the test took place. Which was confirmed in the levels that were in the laboratory tested sample .

18 minutes ago, fatface said:

He'll have to get another job then... just like a delivery driver would if they lost their licence

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, eric i said:

9 months from september 5th so Worral will be signing for someone on june 5th?

I don’t think he will find it that easy . At 33 years old next June his career is more likely to go down than up. He will have to find a club that can fit his average in and take a bit of a chance on him, especially as by June others will be race fit and he won’t.  He might get in somewhere perhaps as a temporary signing to cover injuring but might well have to go to a club a track that doesn’t suit him. The repercussions will probably go beyond the period of his suspension and hit his pocket in more ways than one.

2 hours ago, AceBelle said:

so Morris gets 2xyear ban no test taken?  worrall 9mth basically? being guilty of cocaine?? Doesn't add up to me ?

Wouldn't even say 9 month most of the ban is covered by off season pathetic really 

Edited by mc131
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I don’t think he will find it that easy . At 33 years old next June his career is more likely to go down than up. He will have to find a club that can fit his average in and take a bit of a chance on him, especially as by June others will be race fit and he won’t.  He might get in somewhere perhaps as a temporary signing to cover injuring but might well have to go to a club a track that doesn’t suit him. The repercussions will probably go beyond the period of his suspension and hit his pocket in more ways than one.

If he can't act like a responsible adult/professional sportsman at 33 years old, time for him and any potential employer to move on I would have thought,  or is it just me....

4 minutes ago, gazzac said:

If he can't act like a responsible adult/professional sportsman at 33 years old, time for him and any potential employer to move on I would have thought,  or is it just me....

Potential employer? So, never be allowed to work again ever anywhere? This is the next level from those who want a lifetime ban from speedway. Maybe rethink that in the cold light of day.

1 minute ago, orion said:

He needs to sign for a club with a tight track so can hug the white line 

Very good :D

21 minutes ago, fatface said:

Potential employer? So, never be allowed to work again ever anywhere? This is the next level from those who want a lifetime ban from speedway. Maybe rethink that in the cold light of day.

I meant a potential employer in speedway not outside of it. I don't know him personally and he maybe able to rectify his misdemeanor and come back clean and stronger, was just saying he's not a 17 year old who hasn't lived yet and needs to grow up, must have known the consequences in failing a test and perhaps if hasn't learnt that at 33 years old not a good scenario for all concerned in the speedway pressure cooker.