British Speedway Forum

Glasgow V Oxford Championship - Friday 8 September 2023 - 7.30pm

9 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Tarasenko is a great signing but the reserves look like absolute cannon fodder. If Poole pick the Scottish teams I think they'll win their group at a canter but we shall see.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Glasgow's reserves, not as strong  as some teams, but they both have 3.5(ish) averages, it's not like they have sub 2.00 aves.

• Like 1

That was my first speedway meeting since 2016 and second in ten years; I’m hooked again.

I’ve no idea where to begin, but it won’t be tonight. I’m knackered, so I’ll fire my thoughts in here tomorrow, but wow. The atmosphere, the smell, the racing, unbelievable.

• Like 9

What a meeting, we have seen some extraordinary racing at Ashfield this season, but tonight tops the lot. It takes 2 teams to provide the excitement, so well done Oxford for making a match of it, Tarasenko, just wow , could watch him all day, shame the season is almost over.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What a meeting some great  racing from everyone.Looking forward to play off matches at Ashfield. Tarasenko looks handy.!!!!!!

Has to be one off the best meetings so far this season, there have been plenty off them this year to be fair.

Tarasenko sussing the track out in his R/R ride then he was flying thereafter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BanditsFan said:

Ridiculous that Tarasenko is allowed to ride at Championship level by the way, never mind him being on a 5 point average. 

One of the reasons the sport is on its arse in this country. 

Can’t blame the ‘splash the cash Tigers’ however, great coup for them!

Berwick could have had him on 5pt av but they chose Hans on a 5.Unlucky again.!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

That was my first speedway meeting since 2016 and second in ten years; I’m hooked again.

I’ve no idea where to begin, but it won’t be tonight. I’m knackered, so I’ll fire my thoughts in here tomorrow, but wow. The atmosphere, the smell, the racing, unbelievable.

Glad you enjoyed it was a superb nights entertainment.

Agree on the atmosphere tonight it really added to the night overall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

That has to be the meeting of the season at Ashfield.Credit to Oxford they got stuck in .

Oxford were very good tonight but the whole package was excellent tonight, the racing and the atmosphere from a large crowd plus the glorious weather.

Whats not to like.

• Like 4

Staring a new Drinking game.

Every time I see a post including the phrases:

"Speedway is on its arse"

Or

"Final nail in the coffin of speedway"

You take a shot.

Rewind 2 years ago, there was very little championship speedway being streamed at a professional level. Now we have multiple meetings every flippin week, coming at you in Sky Sports quality productions.

If you don't like it, sod off and watch cricket, I'm sure you'll find it far more entertaining.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Or

You take a shot.

Speedway IS on its arse. Several clubs are on the brink of extinction, 3 riders have failed drink/drugs tests in the past few months, more have "withheld their services" and the sport is still (for the most part) badly run in poor stadia unfit for the modern age, attendances number a few hundred hardy souls at most clubs and the streaming you mentioned barely has any significance outside of people who already follow and support speedway.

But one exciting meeting changes all that? 

I want to take a shot of whatever you've taken!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Speedway IS on its arse. Several clubs are on the brink of extinction, 3 riders have failed drink/drugs tests in the past few months, more have "withheld their services" and the sport is still (for the most part) badly run in poor stadia unfit for the modern age, attendances number a few hundred hardy souls at most clubs and the streaming you mentioned barely has any significance outside of people who already follow and support speedway.

But one exciting meeting changes all that? 

I want to take a shot of whatever you've taken!

What have the failed (none negative )drugs/alcoholic tests got to do with how the sports performing.

I work in an industry where we are tested, is it the companies fault if idiots break the rules and get caught? 

Withholding services? Happens in every sport, want a transfer but the managers not letting you go ? 

The difference being they have squad systems that can replace defective or ineffective players.

I 100% agree that the sports organisation and rules are a joke and something my 5 year old could write. 

What ruffles my feathers is having people continuously drone on about how horrific the sport is and how it's going to be the end of speedway. Speedway will never ever die and if anyone thinks it is they need a quick shake up to how life works. As long as people like seeing bikes go round and round in circles and riders like riding bikes anti clockwise there will be some form of speedway. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Or

You take a shot.

Rewind 2 years ago, there was very little championship speedway being streamed at a professional level. Now we have multiple meetings every flippin week, coming at you in Sky Sports quality productions.

If you don't like it, sod off and watch cricket, I'm sure you'll find it far more entertaining.

Have you got a link to where I can buy some of these rose tinted glasses please? 

The four riders on the track has never been in doubt. That’s always been the draw. It’s the rest that has been, and still is, failing massively. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

What ruffles my feathers is having people continuously drone on about how horrific the sport is and how it's going to be the end of speedway. Speedway will never ever die and if anyone thinks it is they need a quick shake up to how life works. As long as people like seeing bikes go round and round in circles and riders like riding bikes anti clockwise there will be some form of speedway. 

Spot on and most of these people have any credible solution to improve it!

13 minutes ago, Toady said:

Spot on and most of these people have any credible solution to improve it!

It's not the 4 guys turning left 9n fast bikes with no breaks that's the issue. 

The issue is the way the sport is run and administered by the BSPA and SCB. 

Until there is a totally independent ruling body we are never going to move forward and the sport will continue to be diluted. 

As someone who has been watching since the glory days of the 60s when we had 20 teams in the top division, each with at least two international class heat leaders averaging 9 I truly wonder how we got to the stage where we barely have 20 teams in the top two divisions with riders doubling up and until the business end of the season top British riders decline to ride here. 

And you claim the sport is healthy?