British Speedway Forum

Glasgow V Oxford Championship - Friday 8 September 2023 - 7.30pm

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

Given our abysmal form round WR we need to win this to avoid Poole in the groups. Never really thought Poole and Oxford would pick each other even if is logistically most sensible 

TBH I don't think either Oxford or Poole will fear Glasgow over two legs given the bottom end of the team. 

I think Redcar would prove to be more of a hurdle. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Who could? Poole been selling tickets for it since yesterday. And seeing as only 3 teams in a group, Poole and Oxford must be in different groups if Oxford at home too! 

I think it's all subject to change though as I'm sure they just pencil in these playoff meetings on the assumption that the Cheetahs and the Pirates will end up in a different group from each other. If Poole finish first I'm 100% sure that they will pick Scunthorpe and Edinburgh (providing Edinburgh beat out the Brummies) leaving Oxford/Glasgow/Redcar in the other group. That would be the logical choice from a tactical point of view.

Edited by Nickinho
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

I think it's all subject to change though as I'm sure they just pencil in these playoff meetings on the assumption that the Cheetahs and the Pirates will end up in a different group from each other. If Poole finish first I'm 100% sure that they will pick Scunthorpe and Edinburgh (providing Edinburgh beat out the Brummies) leaving Oxford/Glasgow/Redcar in the other group. That would be the logical choice from a tactical point of view.

Agreed. 

Folk have said that the groups could be chosen with geography in mind but I don't think many of the Poole riders reside within the Poole area so distance should be a factor in choosing the opponents. 

32 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Who could? Poole been selling tickets for it since yesterday. And seeing as only 3 teams in a group, Poole and Oxford must be in different groups if Oxford at home too! 

Exactly. Not sure how this rumour of them picking each other started in the first place, but clearly they have agreed to avoid each other.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

There's a difference between pencilling in meetings, and actually selling tickets for it in my opinion.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Nowak was scoring 7/8 at home anyway, it's not going to make huge difference there. And without going into detail everyone knows our weakness that hasn't changed. Away from home just don't know how he'll go as hasn't been amazing away in the prem. Most definitely not a done and dusted scenario 

…..and the fact that two of Vissing’s rides are now to be taken by a reserve. Hypothetically, if Masters and Nichols go through the card, which is not out of the question,  that’s 30 points before you start to figure in Kerr, Heeps etc. One thing’s for sure…..Brennan will have to up his game from recent home performances. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

…..and the fact that two of Vissing’s rides are now to be taken by a reserve. Hypothetically, if Masters and Nichols go through the card, which is not out of the question,  that’s 30 points before you start to figure in Kerr, Heeps etc. One thing’s for sure…..Brennan will have to up his game from recent home performances. 

I think the key is the reserves out-scoring the visiting reserves and hope Bomber's off night was last night. 

1 hour ago, Nickinho said:

Poole will definitely pick Edinburgh, assuming they finish sixth, whoever finished sixth will probably lose all 4 of their meetings. And Glasgow given how poor they've been at Wimbourne Road. Tarasenko could score a maximum and they'll still lose but that's not going to happen, his away average for Peterborough is lower than Harris & Basso.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Masters and Nichols will not go through the card, more chance of Tarasenko getting an 18 point maximum.  

Brennan will find it easier riding at 2 

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

Agreed. 

Folk have said that the groups could be chosen with geography in mind but I don't think many of the Poole riders reside within the Poole area so distance should be a factor in choosing the opponents. 

Ben, Zach and Kyle live in the Poole area

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Poole will definitely pick Edinburgh, assuming they finish sixth, whoever finished sixth will probably lose all 4 of their meetings. And Glasgow given how poor they've been at Wimbourne Road. Tarasenko could score a maximum and they'll still lose but that's not going to happen, his away average for Peterborough is lower than Harris & Basso.

Well said about Vladimir. He is good but some people are falling for Poole fans hype. They are very good at saying how good the opposition is and then praising Poole riders for winning so easily! Vadim will take a few rides to master Ashfield and who knows what will happen away from home.

56 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Tarasenko is a great signing but the reserves look like absolute cannon fodder. If Poole pick the Scottish teams I think they'll win their group at a canter but we shall see.

It would certainly financially benefit the two Scottish clubs to be in the same group 

52 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Well said about Vladimir. He is good but some people are falling for Poole fans hype. They are very good at saying how good the opposition is and then praising Poole riders for winning so easily! Vadim will take a few rides to master Ashfield and who knows what will happen away from home.

It is not hype. It is based on a factual assessment that Tarasenko is an Ekstraliga heatleader. A league that is considered too tough for the likes of Ryan Douglas and Sam Masters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, arnieg said:

It is not hype. It is based on a factual assessment that Tarasenko is an Ekstraliga heatleader. A league that is considered too tough for the likes of Ryan Douglas and Sam Masters.

And you really think outcomes in speedway can be based on that kind of logic???……lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

That's in Poland in the UK he averages less than Harris and Basso away from Peterborough. Glasgow will suit him fine but what about Oxford, Poole and Armadale?

• Thanks 1