British Speedway Forum

Glasgow V Oxford Championship - Friday 8 September 2023 - 7.30pm

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It’s even worse that the Top Teams gets to pick both opponents.Surely the 2 nd Teams should have had 2nd pick.

Agreed, still gives the runner up something to play for. What insentive does Glasgow have to beat both Oxford and Redcar. Exactly non.
Stupid situation for the runner up.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

So is it going to be r/r for Claus tonight after his accident in Denmark on Wed? 

Who knows, as usual the website is bang up to date with informing us about these things :rolleyes:. You'd assume missing Sheffield has to be a huge doubt, and given for us it's a nothing meeting might be best sits it out 

13 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Who knows, as usual the website is bang up to date with informing us about these things :rolleyes:. You'd assume missing Sheffield has to be a huge doubt, and given for us it's a nothing meeting might be best sits it out 

Yeah reality is only thing tonight is good for is giving the new bloke some laps before the two home play-off meetings. 

Can see attendance being down given there is a wee soccer match being played too. 

42 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Yeah reality is only thing tonight is good for is giving the new bloke some laps before the two home play-off meetings. 

Can see attendance being down given there is a wee soccer match being played too. 

Would have thought there would be a bigger than usual attendance tonight, with Tarasenko and possibly even Boughen sparking a lot of interest in our first home meeting in three weeks

Can’t see anything but a decent sized Glasgow win tonight. The inclusion of Tarasenko is a complete game changer and the change has made Tigers clear favourites for the title, regardless of whatever of the playoffs groups they are in. 52-38ish. 

I don’t blame Glasgow for the team change but it’s a bit ludicrous that a Polish Extraleague heat leader can come into the PL on a 5, and also the Championship on the same 5 average. I would put money on this loophole being sealed during the winter. He is a cut above just about every rider in the league and showed last night what he is capable of in the Premier league. No other rider in the Championship is at his level.

The change is fair under the rules so no gripes from me, and it makes Glasgow a powerhouse of a team which should demolish every other team in the playoffs, including Poole and Oxford. Would take a monumental effort from any team to turn them over over 2 legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Can’t see anything but a decent sized Glasgow win tonight. The inclusion of Tarasenko is a complete game changer and the change has made Tigers clear favourites for the title, regardless of whatever of the playoffs groups they are in. 52-38ish. 

I don’t blame Glasgow for the team change but it’s a bit ludicrous that a Polish Extraleague heat leader can come into the PL on a 5, and also the Championship on the same 5 average. I would put money on this loophole being sealed during the winter. He is a cut above just about every rider in the league and showed last night what he is capable of in the Premier league. No other rider in the Championship is at his level.

The change is fair under the rules so no gripes from me, and it makes Glasgow a powerhouse of a team which should demolish every other team in the playoffs, including Poole and Oxford. Would take a monumental effort from any team to turn them over over 2 legs.

Perhaps it will be balanced out over two legs though when you consider he will never have seen the tracks before? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I don’t think the signing of Tarasenko makes it a clear cut game changer……….It’s Speedway…….anything can happen. 

14 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Perhaps it will be balanced out over two legs though when you consider he will never have seen the tracks before? 

Not really as he will be dialled in very quickly at Glasgow to outscore anything Nowak would have scored, and a rider of his calibre would take no more than one ride to work out Wimborne Road, Redcar or Cowley. He can gate. 80% job done, and he can pass. Very good rider.

It’s like Lambert when he came in for BV last season.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not really as he will be dialled in very quickly at Glasgow to outscore anything Nowak would have scored, and a rider of his calibre would take no more than one ride to work out Wimborne Road, Redcar or Cowley. He can gate. 80% job done, and he can pass. Very good rider.

Nowak was scoring 7/8 at home anyway, it's not going to make huge difference there. And without going into detail everyone knows our weakness that hasn't changed. Away from home just don't know how he'll go as hasn't been amazing away in the prem. Most definitely not a done and dusted scenario 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

I don’t think the signing of Tarasenko makes it a clear cut game changer……….It’s Speedway…….anything can happen. 

I agree. Glasgow have nothing at reserve, you need at least one high scoring reserve to win the league. Complin could get a beast of a motor between now and the end of the season but even then, theres no guarantee he will rack the points in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You’re making it sound like they’ve just brought in James Grieves.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall