British Speedway Forum

2023 Playoffs

20 minutes ago, stu219 said:

What an f ing joke speedway in This country has become. I love watching on a Thursday at Ipswich but even I am now totally pissed of that teams can just change at any point. Take a leaf out of the football rules for Christ sakes  and limit when signings can be made. The whole sport has become an absolute joke now and no one in charge seems to give a damn!

There was a perfectly good rule but Jim Lawrence and his cartel cronies got rid of it. It allowed teams to sign a full time team member in place of an injured rider thus meaning teams didn’t need to rely on guests during our showpiece event when the media is watching. It also stopped the ridiculous situation where clubs could have 13 different team members during the season. Dumb just doesn’t cover it. 

012.2 TEAM COMPOSITION

A Premiership Transfer Window opens after 25% of the League fixtures are complete and closes when 75% of League fixtures are complete. This permits changes to the team on 2 occasions, except for proven long term injury.

17 minutes ago, ouch said:

There was a perfectly good rule but Jim Lawrence and his cartel cronies got rid of it. It allowed teams to sign a full time team member in place of an injured rider thus meaning teams didn’t need to rely on guests during our showpiece event when the media is watching. It also stopped the ridiculous situation where clubs could have 13 different team members during the season. Dumb just doesn’t cover it. 

012.2 TEAM COMPOSITION

A Premiership Transfer Window opens after 25% of the League fixtures are complete and closes when 75% of League fixtures are complete. This permits changes to the team on 2 occasions, except for proven long term injury.

Absolute joke now though. I wonder how many promoters in the top flight are happy to go along with the shambles. Will any of them dare to come out and offer their views? Over to you promoters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Is.this official, if Wolves win their last 3 meetings 60-30 (yes I know it’s unlikely) they will finish level on points with a better points difference. Has someone got their calculations wrong?

Mark Lemon actually alluded to this scenario in the post-match press conference after yesterday's match at the NSS.

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Belle Vue are not confirmed as Champions, but are confirmed as top two which would give them choice of whether to race at home first. 

Yes but the point is, albeit very unlikely, Wolves could still top the table and if they did may choose to ride their home leg that very evening so presumably BV would have to pick another evening if that was the case unless you believe the second placed club could choose before the first placed club.

9 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

Yes but the point is, albeit very unlikely, Wolves could still top the table and if they did may choose to ride their home leg that very evening so presumably BV would have to pick another evening if that was the case unless you believe the second placed club could choose before the first placed club.

Are the semi finals on the same night?If so it wouldn't matter what Belle Vue choose.

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

I hope Ipswich sneak in and win it. They’ve been absolutely pony for most of the season and will have finished fourth bottom of the league. Truly fitting for the joke of a league system we have in operation. 

Not sure that's wholly fair but they have been around the fourth/fifth best team, which is what the league shows.  Belle Vue are seventh bottom :)

Now if you want Ipswich to do well because they haven't been changing their side just before the play-offs then I agree.  However, the play offs should be a separate competition and there should be merit (including prize money for the clubs) for their position in the league itself, irrespective of the play-off results. 

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Not sure that's wholly fair but they have been around the fourth/fifth best team, which is what the league shows.  Belle Vue are seventh bottom :)

Now if you want Ipswich to do well because they haven't been changing their side just before the play-offs then I agree.  However, the play offs should be a separate competition and there should be merit (including prize money for the clubs) for their position in the league itself, irrespective of the play-off results. 

I want Ipswich to do well as hopefully I will get to see Emil at the NSS again...B) 

Edited by mikebv

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

They have been absolute pony when I've seen them 

The only team they haven't beaten at home is Belle Vue so I guess you've just been unlucky seeing the losses or have only watched them away from home.  Perhaps you bring them bad luck:D

Edited by SPEEDY69

13 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

The only team they haven't beaten at home is Belle Vue so I guess you've just been unlucky seeing the losses or have only watched them away from home.  Perhaps you bring them bad luck:D

Well I've seen them 3 times at home and they have lost 3,,,2 to Belle Vue and 1 to wolves 

4 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Which in a seven team league shouldn’t give you the opportunity to walk away with the league title. 

The chopping and changing of riders is within the rules, so if anything it’s on Ipswich for not giving Riss his marching orders months back. Whether it’s right or wrong is another matter naturally. 

The best thing for the sport would probably be Wolves winning it. Proving that big names aren’t necessarily the answer for one and that if your top tier champions can go out of business shortly after winning the title then something needs to change in the sport for another. 

46 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

There will be a major shake up at this year's AGM though,,, they are swapping from Sainsbury custard creams to Aldi digestives 

The radical move that should have been done post Covid...

Great to see...

I believe Garibaldi's were considered but they didn't know if they would need a visa or not after Brexit, and, if a visa was attainable, what assessed quality rating they should give them....

The promoter who wanted them said they should be a four but it was mentioned to him that a few years ago a packet of Frangipanes were brought in and  they were given a five..

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Baldyman said:

There will be a major shake up at this year's AGM though,,, they are swapping from Sainsbury custard creams to Aldi digestives 

Just wait & see their faces when Chris Harris arrives dressed a rich tea to guest in place of the Aldi digestives who have other commitments!

On 8/29/2023 at 11:27 AM, ouch said:

We weren’t allowed to keep them at reserve as we were compelled to sign another RS after Tom was banned from the scheme. Wolves and Belle Vue have used a similar amount of riders over the last five seasons and this puts them separate from the rest of the league in terms of loyalty. There’s 3 ex Colts in the Acea lineup which is in itself quite extraordinary. 

Graduated from the scheme is a better explanation for it. He improved & got a spot in their top 6. That's a ringing endorsement for the RS system in my view

• Like 3