British Speedway Forum

Workington Comets v Belle Vue Colts 26/08/23 3pm NDL

topaz325

Shame Ace has suffered an injury. All the best for a speedy recovery young man your determination will be missed. Looks like rider replacement with both Luke's, Elliot and Harry able to take a ride.

A really tough meeting just got tougher, the lads will need a really big effort to bring the points home. UTC

1 hour ago, 1Tsunami said:

Anybody got a decent weather forecast for Workington tomorrow. Is there any chance of it being called off ?

Some rain expected at around 2am other than that seems to be looking good so fingers crossed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1Tsunami said:

Anybody got a decent weather forecast for Workington tomorrow. Is there any chance of it being called off?

There's always a chance any speedway meeting could be called off, weather forecasts aren't always accurate. Likewise clubs calling off matches due to forecasts, doesn't guarantee rain & matches might be cancelled unnecessarily

13 hours ago, 1Tsunami said:

Anybody got a decent weather forecast for Workington tomorrow. Is there any chance of it being called off ?

Northerly wind in Worky this morning, usually well sheltered when in this direction. Dry and partly cloudy at the minute.

• Like 1

Should be an interesting meeting today, track should ride good, belle Vue  back at full strength,  Comets put on a good show last night at the NSS   a very enjoyable meeting,  BUT the riders need their gating shoes on ,as last night all  struggled to gate, and a couple of riders were very off the pace!!! Losing 3-4 points off your last year's average says it all really  !!!

Anyway rant over speedways back at the northside arena UTC :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Neila said:

Should be an interesting meeting today, track should ride good, belle Vue  back at full strength,  Comets put on a good show last night at the NSS   a very enjoyable meeting,  BUT the riders need their gating shoes on ,as last night all  struggled to gate, and a couple of riders were very off the pace!!! Losing 3-4 points off your last year's average says it all really  !!!

Be a lot tougher today Neila I think. Welcoming back hagon and Pearson strengthens them massively, we all know hagon can ride our place really well barring his off day in the Sue Roper

18 minutes ago, Neila said:

Unfortunately most of our riders have been slower from the gate than the opposition and yes a couple of riders have been unexpectedly but consistently disappointing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

Unfortunately most of our riders have been slower from the gate than the opposition and yes a couple of riders have been unexpectedly but consistently disappointing.

The captain and harry need a massive lift up from last night,dont think today will be easy at all!

Wow you know your a poor side when Belle Vue win away!. How had Harry kept his place all season? Hope he isn't planning on attending the end of season party. Crang has been on the slide for a while but setting a terrible example. Great to have the Comets back but after so many predicted so much it looks like a very lowly finishing position. 

As for the Colts a play off fairy tale is still on.....

• Like 1

Disappointing result today but as I expected tbh. Harry just looks like he cannot be bothered and Crang, well deary me. You’re supposed to be the captain and inspire this young side giving up cause you’re last is just mind boggling. I get it’s the first season but surely we need to be setting up to compete at the sharp end of the league. Some serious thinking to take place over the winter and not just the team either.

On a positive speedway is back in Workington, the northside arena set up is great, the track is great, big thanks to Andrew Bain and Steve Lawson , I'm enjoying following the sport ( still ) since 1970 

But today's meeting we'll !!  I was predicting a deafeat today, R/R can handle, but 13 last places, and carrying 2 riders, who are well off, one not even on the pace,  defeat is the only outcome, should be winning home meetings and competitive away, Had a large crowd in today, how many will return for the last home match against Kent ?? 

Gonna keep the faith onwards and upwards 

Edited by Neila
  • Like 2

As a neutral I enjoyed the meeting . It's a cracking wide track , would love to see the sports big stars on it . As for today , too many last places for the home side , can't win meetings like that . Funniest part was Jack Smith waving his arms about after Connor Bailey moved him over then kicking the fence on his way back to the pits . Comedy gold . 

• Like 1

Turned into a lovely afternoon down at Northside. It was great to welcome the Belle Vue Colts their fans and the neutrals that made the effort to support us today thank you.

Hope the Belle Vue fan that took ill just before start time is okay.

Connor Bailey showed today what an accomplished determined racer he his rapidly developing into. It was great to see him get his max and regain the track record into the bargain. He was well supported by Luke Harrison another young rider who is coming along very nicely. Unfortunately the absence of Ace proved too big a hurdle to overcome a Belle Vue side that with the exception of jack Shimelt were solid throughout.

Not quite sure why Comets didn't go with R/R at No 2 again today. Like has been stated already I found myself feeling for Andrew , Steve and all the team at Worky Speedway with regard to the performances of the Skipper and Harry M  not just today but throughout the season. Surely the guys know that the consistently poor form they have shown for whatever reason  has an impact on attendances and ultimately the promotion who have worked tirelessly to bring the sport back to Workington at unknown personal cost. I would like to think they have apologised for their showing over the two meetings where they scored 7 points between them from 18 rides.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Not quite sure why Comets didn't go with R/R at No 2 again today.

Not the first, and if we use R/R again certainly won’t be the last. All it comes down is inexperienced/poor team management. Anyone with a bit of speedway knowledge knows this.

I like a win as much as the next person but I think we need to keep supporting all the lads , yes some of them are going through a bad patch and not riding regularly , this is after all the National League.

I,m sure I’ll get some negative comments for my views but hey it’s all about opinions.

Great to see such a big crowd from all over the country  and Scotland .

Hope the Belle vue fan that fell ill is ok.

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Turned into a lovely afternoon down at Northside. It was great to welcome the Belle Vue Colts their fans and the neutrals that made the effort to support us today thank you.

Hope the Belle Vue fan that took ill just before start time is okay.

Connor Bailey showed today what an accomplished determined racer he his rapidly developing into. It was great to see him get his max and regain the track record into the bargain. He was well supported by Luke Harrison another young rider who is coming along very nicely. Unfortunately the absence of Ace proved too big a hurdle to overcome a Belle Vue side that with the exception of jack Shimelt were solid throughout.

Not quite sure why Comets didn't go with R/R at No 2 again today. Like has been stated already I found myself feeling for Andrew , Steve and all the team at Worky Speedway with regard to the performances of the Skipper and Harry M  not just today but throughout the season. Surely the guys know that the consistently poor form they have shown for whatever reason  has an impact on attendances and ultimately the promotion who have worked tirelessly to bring the sport back to Workington at unknown personal cost. I would like to think they have apologised for their showing over the two meetings where they scored 7 points between them from 18 rides.

well done to Bellvue for giving Shmelt an opportunity not many teams done that lately

• Like 1