British Speedway Forum

Championship Pairs - Sep 1st

38 minutes ago, Anzum said:

Anyone know what the format is for this? A group of 5 and a group of 4 with winners racing against second in the semis? If so has it been decided who is in which group?

Probably no groups. Just 18 qual heats with each pair having 4 rides. Then top 4 to semis.

• Thanks 1

So it’s pairs night tomorrow night & as far as I know, no one has pulled out “yet”. What does anyone think the reason for this is, against all the pull out in the CLRC at Redcar. I don’t believe for 1 minute it was the venue, I presume the pay/travel rates will be the same. I know Poland accounted for a few but could it be that it was a Bank Holiday Sunday and riders had league meetings on the Monday, didn’t fancy the travel North or what does anyone think? 

51 minutes ago, Biffa said:

So it’s pairs night tomorrow night & as far as I know, no one has pulled out “yet”. What does anyone think the reason for this is, against all the pull out in the CLRC at Redcar. I don’t believe for 1 minute it was the venue, I presume the pay/travel rates will be the same. I know Poland accounted for a few but could it be that it was a Bank Holiday Sunday and riders had league meetings on the Monday, didn’t fancy the travel North or what does anyone think? 

if they don't like travel they're in the wrong game

1 hour ago, Biffa said:

I'd suggest most are probably going to Cardiff anyway, coupled with no other meetings this weekend

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Biffa said:

Heard cook isn’t riding now not sure who is replacing him.

Just now, Gambo said:

I do!:)

1: Glasgow v Poole. 2: Oxford v Edinburgh. 3: Birmingham V Berwick. 4: Scunthorpe v Redcar. 5: Plymouth v Glasgow..

6: Poole v Oxford. 7: Edinburgh v Birmingham. 8: Berwick v Scunthorpe. 9: Redcar v Plymouth

10: Glasgow v Oxford. 11: Scunthorpe v Birmingham. 12: Plymouth v Poole. 13: Berwick v Edinburgh. 

14: Redcar v Glasgow. 15: Poole v Scunthorpe. 16: Oxford v Berwick. 17: Edinburgh v  Plymouth. 18: Birmingham v Redcar.

• Like 1

With the scoring system used in pairs events I don't think there is much in the "home track advantage" argument. Not having to beat both riders is a different kettle of fish. However the short format will mean maximum scores will be the deciding factor for qualification to the latter stages.

10 minutes ago, Gambo said:

1: Glasgow v Poole. 2: Oxford v Edinburgh. 3: Birmingham V Berwick. 4: Scunthorpe v Redcar. 5: Plymouth v Glasgow..

6: Poole v Oxford. 7: Edinburgh v Birmingham. 8: Berwick v Scunthorpe. 9: Redcar v Plymouth

10: Glasgow v Oxford. 11: Scunthorpe v Birmingham. 12: Plymouth v Poole. 13: Berwick v Edinburgh. 

14: Redcar v Glasgow. 15: Poole v Scunthorpe. 16: Oxford v Berwick. 17: Edinburgh v  Plymouth. 18: Birmingham v Redcar.

You'd have to say Oxford and Plymouth have an advantage with a strong pair plus meeting a weakened Edinburgh. Glasgow draw was a bit harsh!!

1 hour ago, Technik said:

With the scoring system used in pairs events I don't think there is much in the "home track advantage" argument. Not having to beat both riders is a different kettle of fish. However the short format will mean maximum scores will be the deciding factor for qualification to the latter stages.

8 home winners in 23 years suggests there is some advantage too be had.