British Speedway Forum

Ashton Boughen

On 10/4/2023 at 1:01 PM, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

That’s an incredible take.

The boy first rode a competitive speedway fixture less than twelve months ago and only turned sixteen about 40 days ago, so what exactly is it you’re expecting?

In my opinion, based on watching him live on two occasions, I’ve never saw a rider that age gate so competitively or enter corners with so much pace and confidence; his technique is beyond his years.

I’m a huge believer in giving youth an opportunity in any sport, but I assume you’re a Glasgow fan, so what are your thoughts on Ace Pijper scoring only 4 points across both meetings in comparison to Boughen’s 4+1?

Seems to have lost his 1st Bend confidence and just gives up, not a good sign.IMO

As I said it’s only recent as he wasn’t shutting off going into the first bends prior to the CLRC and as it says above if he gets to the first bend in front he’s off and gone, it’s only when he realises that he may have to get the elbows out in the first turn does he shut off. 
Similar thing happened in the first leg of the cup at home, heat 8 I think it was, clearly appeared to have the speed to get past Foord, but every time he got close or had the chance to go outside him, he shut off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heathcote said:

As I said it’s only recent as he wasn’t shutting off going into the first bends prior to the CLRC and as it says above if he gets to the first bend in front he’s off and gone, it’s only when he realises that he may have to get the elbows out in the first turn does he shut off. 
Similar thing happened in the first leg of the cup at home, heat 8 I think it was, clearly appeared to have the speed to get past Foord, but every time he got close or had the chance to go outside him, he shut off. 

End of short career 

3 hours ago, Heathcote said:

It's not recent though, he was identified as doing it at the end of last year. When he shuts off going into the first bend he was invariably last he was shutting off so much, not even 2nd or 3rd and then proceeded to be the whole length of a straight behind the riders in front. 

Now that's okay if he wants to be the next Jack Smith or Connor Coles but if he's the next messiah as some are predicting he ain't going to get anywhere with that approach to his Speedway.

His end of season form has been as bizarre as anything I've seen from a rider that I can ever recall. 

Edited by IainB
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Youhave2minutes said:

End of short career 

It'd be very sad if that were the case, maybe Speedway first bends just aren't for him, they can be brutal and not really comparable to many other motor sports. 

39 minutes ago, Heathcote said:

It’s concerning lack of effort in 3 races last night.That not what fans want to see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heathcote said:

On 9/24/2023 at 7:14 PM, M.D said:

Really nice style and very fast when riding.

Ive not seen him live myself so only watched him a few times on TV.

He is young and as I have said, looks very good but does seem to shut off when he's in close contact with riders and needs a bit more aggression I'm first turns..

I don't really want to quote myself but I pointed out the issue over a year ago.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, IainB said:

It's not recent though, he was identified as doing it at the end of last year. When he shuts off going into the first bend he was invariably last he was shutting off so much, not even 2nd or 3rd and then proceeded to be the whole length of a straight behind the riders in front. 

Now that's okay if he wants to be the next Jack Smith or Connor Coles but if he's the next messiah as some are predicting he ain't going to get anywhere with that approach to his Speedway.

His end of season form has been as bizarre as anything I've seen from a rider that I can ever recall. 

I'm not going to  comment on your views of Boughen and Coles. One thing I can say is that Jack Smith gave 100% for Glasgow and suggesting that if Boughen continues to perform the way he has done recently he would end up like Jack is out of order.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SharpenRake said:

I'm not going to  comment on your views of Boughen and Coles. One thing I can say is that Jack Smith gave 100% for Glasgow and suggesting that if Boughen continues to perform the way he has done recently he would end up like Jack is out of order.  

It's amazing what people want to read into posts sometimes... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heathcote said:

He's been doing it all season, not as regular as recently but definitely been doing it all season.