British Speedway Forum

Ashton Boughen

10 hours ago, Skodaman said:

Schroeck wanted AB to go to Oxford at the beginning of the season but AB chose Leicester. PS was disappointed

Maybe that was down to lots of practice sessions being available at Leicester with it being a single use facility and at that age the more time on track the better?

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MANSE said:

Spoke to a friend from Scunthorpe who i met a few years ago. Gave me some info on the A Boughen  signing .He spoke to a few clubs before signing for Oxford  for 15000.00. Glasgow were contacted  sorry out of our price range [ no thank you ]

The exact reason why Leicester/Sheffield and Poole didn’t sign him as always the risk could pay that money won’t ride enough meetings to be an asset then decides he wants to go elsewhere.

There is already signs he may be at Wrocław next season in both U24 and ExtraLiga which will rule out Championship anyway 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flagrag said:

The exact reason why Leicester/Sheffield and Poole didn’t sign him as always the risk could pay that money won’t ride enough meetings to be an asset then decides he wants to go elsewhere.

There is already signs he may be at Wrocław next season in both U24 and ExtraLiga which will rule out Championship anyway 

Risking big money on Young speedway talent is gambling IMO.He won’t be hanging about long if he starts fulfilling the hype.

36 minutes ago, MANSE said:

Spoke to a friend from Scunthorpe who i met a few years ago. Gave me some info on the A Boughen  signing .He spoke to a few clubs before signing for Oxford  for 15000.00. Glasgow were contacted  sorry out of our price range [ no thank you ]

and a monthly allowance from a sponsor 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MANSE said:

Foolish for any club to pay that if true

A lot of conjecture and guesswork on here - especially about fees.

It was definitely suggested in an article last winter in the Speedway Star that AB was being mentored by Lewi Kerr and if so, probably getting some expert bike set up help from Steve Norman. 

That's a far bigger reason I think why he's chosen Oxford as he'll also know Peter Shroeck well too and not a long haul trip for him either.

As for Poland - for god sake give the kid a break, at the moment he's promising and clearly talented but not yet the second coming of the Messiah!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, flagrag said:

There is absolutely no way Ashton makes the Ekstraliga team so he’ll be fine in the championship for next season.

1 hour ago, montie said:

why foolish? id say great to see a club investing in the future

hope the kid hits the ground running too,,,Well done Oxford!

Because he's only 16 with a 7.00 NL average. I'm not saying don't sign him, but certainly not pay a fee like that. There are other ways to invest in the future - like running a NL team.

It he turns out as good as many expect then he could leave GB like Lambert / Woffinden, so that money has maybe bought them a league title (is it worth it?) Or if they are lucky, he'll be like Bewley & stay here, but Oxford would need to be in the top league to benefit from it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Because he's only 16 with a 7.00 NL average. I'm not saying don't sign him, but certainly not pay a fee like that. There are other ways to invest in the future - like running a NL team.

It he turns out as good as many expect then he could leave GB like Lambert / Woffinden, so that money has maybe bought them a league title (is it worth it?) Or if they are lucky, he'll be like Bewley & stay here, but Oxford would need to be in the top league to benefit from it.

Having read Ashton's Facebook page, the big question is:

Did he get a microwave?

45 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

as far as im aware Oxford do run an NL team

If Oxford have that money then what the problem,its their money to spend on what ever and who ever they want

just like my Neighbour buying a Bentley and a 10k boob job for his wife,his cash his choice

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, montie said:

as far as im aware Oxford do run an NL team

If Oxford have that money then what the problem,its their money to spend on what ever and who ever they want

just like my Neighbour buying a Bentley and a 10k boob job for his wife,his cash his choice

What colour’s the Bentley!!

2 hours ago, DJC said:

Can anyone post it on here for those of us not using that hell hole of a site?

Statement below…

Now the news is out and the dust has settled slightly I just want to say how excited I am to be joining the Oxford Cheetahs and back with the guy who I spent most of my early days with last year Peter Schroeck training me the ropes. He believed in me this time last year when I turned 15 and put me in my first speedway race with the Charges. A year on and we are back together but this time with me signing as an asset to Oxford! I know the plan to bring me in for this year are future plans for the years to come but I will give everything for the remainder of this season to try and prove my worth. This is a major move for me with so many other offers I had from championship and premiership teams but I am 100 percent confident I have made the right decision for now and the future! 

My first meeting is this Friday at Oxford v Plymouth

Big thanks to Peter & Jamie for giving me this opportunity

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Statement below…

Now the news is out and the dust has settled slightly I just want to say how excited I am to be joining the Oxford Cheetahs and back with the guy who I spent most of my early days with last year Peter Schroeck training me the ropes. He believed in me this time last year when I turned 15 and put me in my first speedway race with the Charges. A year on and we are back together but this time with me signing as an asset to Oxford! I know the plan to bring me in for this year are future plans for the years to come but I will give everything for the remainder of this season to try and prove my worth. This is a major move for me with so many other offers I had from championship and premiership teams but I am 100 percent confident I have made the right decision for now and the future! 

My first meeting is this Friday at Oxford v Plymouth

Big thanks to Peter & Jamie for giving me this opportunity

Thank you.

The PL offer is interesting. Wonder if that was Sheffield after the Gilkes injury?

Only Ipswich would probably be looking to change RS otherwise but don't see Louis having heard of him if he hadn't heard of most of the SGP2 field!

• Haha 2

Like I've said before time to leave the kid alone let him be what he turns out to be. Fair play to Oxford signed great potential and I'm sure fees mentioned as usual will be highly exaggerated. Looking forward to seeing him back at ashfield for the cheetahs meeting, should be a cracker