British Speedway Forum

Poole v Oxford 9/8/23 Championship

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

When Mervyn Stewkesbury and Pete Ansell moved speedway from Weymouth to Poole in the 80s, they also had Neil Street as Team Manager and therein started the Poole Aussie influx on Streetie's recommendations.

Those Aussie connections have continued of course with the likes of Boycie, Darcy, Davey Watt and others bringing through more young Aussies eg the Cooks being the latest. (NB. Those reading the programme notes last night will see the interview with Matt Ford when he named another young Aussie that Boycie brought over to Sweden recently - no names on here yet. Watch this space)

In addition, Poole's successes in the Elite League (and Matt's time on the BSPA board) allowed Matt to establish contacts in Europe. One recent example being getting Artem Laguta for Steve Worrall's testimonial!

He may be based in France - at least for now;) - but his finger is still very much on the speedway pulse.  Maybe not liked - even 'hated' - by many opposition fans, but very much respected by all Promoters/Managers and sponsors!.

If only Poole Speedway owned their own stadium..........................

Wasn't Davey at the IOW and Darcy at Lynn in the premier league as was at the time?

3 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Wasn't Davey at the IOW and Darcy at Lynn in the premier league as was at the time?

Yes same as Doyley and the Holders. IOW had a good stream of young Aussies when they were in the second division.

Adam Shields, Gathercole and Sweetman all started there too I think

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

There’s a bit of truth in both of these. First of all, it was Mike Golding and Matt Ford who bought Poole in the late 1990s (I think). It has been well supported over the years but that hasn’t stopped promotions going bust (ask Reg Fearman/Neil Middleditch)

I have no knowledge of Mike Golding’s talent spotting but am happy to take your word, However, he stepped down as a promoter in 2007 or 2008 so the current “talent” spotting has to be down to Matt Ford.

Would Poole have been as successful with any other promoters? Who knows. 

Mervyn Steweksbury and Pete Ansell were very successful at Poole before the current promotion 

5 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

IOW was a bit of a feeder club for Poole with Chris Holder and Jason Doyle too. 

It's hardly "talent spotting" when another club takes the plunge on a rider and once successful you sign them then is it? Especially in those days when Aussies came in on a 9 then a 7

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

It's hardly "talent spotting" when another club takes the plunge on a rider and once successful you sign them then is it? Especially in those days when Aussies came in on a 9 then a 7

I think Chris Holder was signed and loaned out to the IOW

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I would say its talent spotting when a club (eg Poole) pays for the rider to come over from Oz in the first place and then loans him out (eg IOW etc) to gain experience!  Its happened many times.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

I think the total pass count not including engine failures was three, Anders heat two, and Cook heat 14. Oh and Anders passed his own team mate so maybe 4.

It wasn't just the number of passes. I think you can have good racing without passes if the racing is close - but mostly it was just strung out with no interest at all. It's the third time I have been to Poole this year and it has been similar each time. Obviously the locals enjoy winning and that's fair enough, but as a neutral I hope for more

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I would say its talent spotting when a club (eg Poole) pays for the rider to come over from Oz in the first place and then loans him out (eg IOW etc) to gain experience!  Its happened many times.

I recall a press release when Jim holder was with iow to the contrary that they were assets but it was 15 years ago so is a hazy recollection at best. Fair enough can claim those ones but I highly doubt was such an agreement with Lynn about Darcy :rofl:

20 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I think Poole spotted them but shared the cost of bringing them over with IOW and then rode for IOW first for a season or 2 before moving them up to Poole. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I recall a press release when Jim holder was with iow to the contrary that they were assets but it was 15 years ago so is a hazy recollection at best. Fair enough can claim those ones but I highly doubt was such an agreement with Lynn about Darcy :rofl:

Darcy came cos Chris was here otherwise he was going to Peterborough I believe. 

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I think Poole spotted them but shared the cost of bringing them over with IOW and then rode for IOW first for a season or 2 before moving them up to Poole. 

Explains why IOW had more success with their Aussie's than we did during the same period!! They had Chris holder, we had harley Norwood lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

No agreement then for Darcy which is why Poole coughed up £30k for his signature!

Since Darcy's accident and recuperation he is now a Promoter in Oz and running regular training schools with Watty and Boycie for the youngsters.

• Like 1

Poole talent spotted Nathan Ablitt a good upcoming British talent and kept with him all last season despite his lack of ability at Championship level with it being his debut season.

They gave the kid an amazing opportunity and he is now starting to benefit from the experience. He will no doubt be back in Pirates colours again some day soon :t:

Edited by lbw