British Speedway Forum

Poole v Oxford 9/8/23 Championship

19 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Instead of criticising everything why don't you get yourself down to your local track and support them, it's because of people like you that speedway is dying, yes i shall continue to pay to watch my favourite sport, there is nothing better, the atmosphere at Poole last night was brilliant, with a massive crowd, they keep coming so obviously like what they see 

I do, also grasstrack meetings. Wouldn’t go to Poole if you paid my entrance…..  dump.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

It's because Poole understand that speedway is a team sport and winning is important.

People who say that speedway should be about the excitement of 4 people riding bikes with no brakes and it's all about the quality of racing are missing the point.

Yes, people like to see good racing, but what gets people through the turnstiles is having a winning team, and Poole strive to get one every year whichever league they are in. It's the reason so many people like to slag them off, and also the reason why their own fans continue to support them.

Plus, winning teams create an atmosphere, and a good atmosphere encourages people to come back. A plethora of old folk sat in deckchairs, quietly filling in programmes and counting marking the number of passes on a sheet of paper doesn't.

They also ride in a decent stadium and know how to promote the sport. If more clubs were run like Poole, the sport would be in a much healthier situation.

On the subject of last night's match, I'm generally not really a fan of the bonus point and prefer the old system where points were awarded for getting within 6 points, but there's no denying that the aggregate bonus point was what kept it interesting on this occasion.

Good to see Anders Rowe going so well.

A brilliant post - You’ve summed up speedway in this country pretty much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

Instead of criticising everything why don't you get yourself down to your local track and support them, it's because of people like you that speedway is dying, yes i shall continue to pay to watch my favourite sport, there is nothing better, the atmosphere at Poole last night was brilliant, with a massive crowd, they keep coming so obviously like what they see 

Stupid post imo it’s mainly to do with the people who run the sport why it is dying in this country, the complete lack of contempt most promotions show for the customer base is appalling not to mention the racing is average at best at most of the tracks and in dilapidated stadia. 

Yes some people are overly critical and just generally negative about all things speedway but the majority of us just want to see the sport thriving and we as fans can all see what’s wrong with it.

Edited by bloom89

The Ford's were fortunate to inherit one of the stronger fan bases in Speedway. 

It must be the envy of the likes of Scunny, Berwick. Edinburgh who have survived and thrived on occasions on probably 20 to 25% of the Crowds that Poole attract. 

So rather than moan and complain maybe doff your caps at Clubs like that who deliver enjoyment year after year on a shoestring budget in comparison. 

May also be time for those knocking the likes of Mark Phillips to recognise the incredible progress that Club made between 2017 and now, especially off the Track singlehandedly gown to Mark and a small loyal team of volunteers. 

Those locals who whinge and moan all the time on here and Updates need reflect on having to drive to Poole or Oxford were it not for him. 

22 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Obviously been before, hated it.

How long ago? I know it doesn’t say much for the state of other stadia but Poole is hardly a dump. In terms of viewing and facilities only Belle Vue better (and it’s the best of course) - can’t think of any others though I can think of a few, like Oxford Glasgow and maybe Sheffield that are as good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

How long ago? I know it doesn’t say much for the state of other stadia but Poole is hardly a dump. In terms of viewing and facilities only Belle Vue better (and it’s the best of course) - can’t think of any others though I can think of a few, like Oxford Glasgow and maybe Sheffield that are as good. 

Who said anything about stadia?

4 minutes ago, arnieg said:
11 minutes ago, HGould said:

The Ford's were fortunate to inherit one of the stronger fan bases in Speedway. 

5 minutes ago, arnieg said:

They also benefitted from Mike Golding's ability to talent spot on the continent.

There’s a bit of truth in both of these. First of all, it was Mike Golding and Matt Ford who bought Poole in the late 1990s (I think). It has been well supported over the years but that hasn’t stopped promotions going bust (ask Reg Fearman/Neil Middleditch)

I have no knowledge of Mike Golding’s talent spotting but am happy to take your word, However, he stepped down as a promoter in 2007 or 2008 so the current “talent” spotting has to be down to Matt Ford.

Would Poole have been as successful with any other promoters? Who knows. 

5 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Who said anything about stadia?

You did. First you said “wouldn’t go to Poole if you paid my entrance……dump” then said “Obviously been there before, hated it”.

Or are you now saying you didn’t mind the stadium but the track was a “dump”? (I’ve read tracks being called many things before but never a dump”.

• Haha 1

Avin a Costa flat white in London Victoria on my return from WINborne Road :t:

Give me a few portakabin's & a new speedway venue.......I'll settle for that in the current climate.

Workington are certainly putting together a fine venue from what was there before so maybe Mr Lawson should set the blueprint of how to do it properly.

27 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

There’s a bit of truth in both of these. First of all, it was Mike Golding and Matt Ford who bought Poole in the late 1990s (I think). It has been well supported over the years but that hasn’t stopped promotions going bust (ask Reg Fearman/Neil Middleditch)

I have no knowledge of Mike Golding’s talent spotting but am happy to take your word, However, he stepped down as a promoter in 2007 or 2008 so the current “talent” spotting has to be down to Matt Ford.

Would Poole have been as successful with any other promoters? Who knows. 

When Mervyn Stewkesbury and Pete Ansell moved speedway from Weymouth to Poole in the 80s, they also had Neil Street as Team Manager and therein started the Poole Aussie influx on Streetie's recommendations.

Those Aussie connections have continued of course with the likes of Boycie, Darcy, Davey Watt and others bringing through more young Aussies eg the Cooks being the latest. (NB. Those reading the programme notes last night will see the interview with Matt Ford when he named another young Aussie that Boycie brought over to Sweden recently - no names on here yet. Watch this space)

In addition, Poole's successes in the Elite League (and Matt's time on the BSPA board) allowed Matt to establish contacts in Europe. One recent example being getting Artem Laguta for Steve Worrall's testimonial!

He may be based in France - at least for now;) - but his finger is still very much on the speedway pulse.  Maybe not liked - even 'hated' - by many opposition fans, but very much respected by all Promoters/Managers and sponsors!.

If only Poole Speedway owned their own stadium..........................

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Stupid post imo it’s mainly to do with the people who run the sport why it is dying in this country, the complete lack of contempt most promotions show for the customer base is appalling not to mention the racing is average at best at most of the tracks and in dilapidated stadia. 

Yes some people are overly critical and just generally negative about all things speedway but the majority of us just want to see the sport thriving and we as fans can all see what’s wrong with it.

So why do Poole attract big crowds week in week out, must have been more people in the pits last night than some track actual attendance