British Speedway Forum

Birmingham v Poole Championship. 19/7/23

Sorry to say Pirates were like F1 out of the starts whereas Brum were walking out, feel sorry for the Promoter and the crowd they deserve better, maybe it's unfair to compare Brum with Poole but the Brummies were miles off it, I think Starkey is finished, Danny disappointing, Sedgy chalk and cheese comparing his Brum and Leicester scores, Batch a reasonable return but all in all Brum beaten by a far better team, I do believe I can see young Sam getting to grips with the Championship he certainly likes to ride the wide lines.

• Like 1

Stefan Nielsen seemed unlucky to only get 3 rides, was the team manager too quick to drop him for a tac sub? One thing about dropping a second string is, if they come good (as happened) you've lost them a race, replace a reserve & they can still take multiple races later.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

Pirates could have had 60 but gave Adam Roynon his full quota and didn’t use Lawson and Worrall in heat 15. It was all over in the first 3 heats and it was a very one sided meeting played out in front of a small crowd. Lots of Pirate fans made the trip to cheer on the boys, some getting very nicely pickled.

Next up the matter of a trophy on Friday night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pirates could have had 60 but gave Adam Roynon his full quota and didn’t use Lawson and Worrall in heat 15. It was all over in the first 3 heats and it was a very one sided meeting played out in front of a small crowd. Lots of Pirate fans made the trip to cheer on the boys, some getting very nicely pickled.

Next up the matter of a trophy on Friday night.

Agree about the score.....

Disagree about the small crowd? I thought it was well attended.....well, it was compared to all our previous meetings!?

The track was very slick and the racing was 'dour'!

I can see why Plymouth released Starke!?

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Stefan Nielsen seemed unlucky to only get 3 rides, was the team manager too quick to drop him for a tac sub? One thing about dropping a second string is, if they come good (as happened) you've lost them a race, replace a reserve & they can still take multiple races later.

I can see your point and I actually said at the time that I thought it was the wrong move....

However, I can see why the T/S was played early as we needed to try and stop the mauling asap!

I think that a T/S and a Res/R are more critical when you have an actual chance of getting something out of the meeting.....

As already pointed out....the meeting was effectively a non contest after 3 heats!

Only highlight from  a B'ham perspective was the continued improvement of Sam Hagon and Nielsen beating the Cooks in Heat 10!!

I thought Troy worked hard and although he's obviously passed his best, he is a clever rider (shown when sorting Rowe out in Heat 5) 

45 minutes ago, Deano said:

He just likes to stick the knife in.

Don’t be ridiculous. I wish Birmingham to be successful and prosperous going forward. Thought the crowd last night was poor so if that was a good crowd would shudder to the what crowds have been like. 

The presentation was great, the track was ok if very slick. The racing was not great as it was difficult to pass but not too dusty until the very end. Very frustrating to not get decent amount of customers through the door with so many people living in the area.

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Don’t be ridiculous. I wish Birmingham to be successful and prosperous going forward. Thought the crowd last night was poor so if that was a good crowd would shudder to the what crowds have been like. 

The presentation was great, the track was ok if very slick. The racing was not great as it was difficult to pass but not too dusty until the very end. Very frustrating to not get decent amount of customers through the door with so many people living in the area.

We've gone over this many times and we came to the conclusion that the local community are predominently Asian and are not interested in speedway and as for the rest of the not so local community, they prefer football/cricket ! (Aston Villa/B'ham City/WBA/WCC)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It’s been well documented on here we get low hundreds each week. Last night was actually one of the better crowds this season. 

25 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The Poole fans measure all the other clubs crowds against their 5,000 they get each week....:D

You joke but we did used to get that in the early 2000s! I remember Poole and Oxford were fighting it out to be league champions in 2001 (in those days you had to finish top for that!) and I had to get out of work before my normal 5pm finish, otherwise by the time I get there I wouldn't be able to see anything.

In those days fans as started queuing at 3pm! I miss that! 

When Mark Loram was world champion and first home meeting back the crowd was 7000! 

• Like 2

Probably best crowd I've seen there this season but take away a fair but by no means large Poole contingent and the core Brummie support remains frighteningly low around 400 mark. 

On the track frankly outclassed. No lack of effort in the main but disappointing effort from heat leaders and Alfie possibly tried too hard. 

Dicko saying he's getting 7 rides and expecting big points can put unnecessary pressure on

Sadly the let's make the most of it as it's not going to be long now before the inevitable vibe seems ingrained. 

I can't see any impact from incredible amount of money Nigel has blown or any reason for him to waste any more. 

Thats a sad but pragmatic view. 

I doubt Ian Thomas and John Berry at their best could make much difference Promoting wise. 

32 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You joke but we did used to get that in the early 2000s! I remember Poole and Oxford were fighting it out to be league champions in 2001 (in those days you had to finish top for that!) and I had to get out of work before my normal 5pm finish, otherwise by the time I get there I wouldn't be able to see anything.

When Mark Loram was world champion and first home meeting back the crowd was 7000! 

I've followed the sport for 60 years sad to see the poor crowds now. The racing hasn't got worse. At the Abbey in the 70s 3000 was a low crowd, regularly 5 figure crowds, and 17000 at one meeting in 1979, they had to lock the gates. 37 meetings there that year when nearly everyone could afford to attend every week. A quid to get in.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Correct and Mark had a low score can't remember how many though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

We've gone over this many times and we came to the conclusion that the local community are predominently Asian and are not interested in speedway and as for the rest of the not so local community, they prefer football/cricket ! (Aston Villa/B'ham City/WBA/WCC)

Perhaps Birmingham needs to ask the BSPL to allow turbans instead of helmets to bring in a few locals to the sport ..

• Haha 2