British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates Vs Glasgow Tigers Bsn Final 1st Leg 5th July

9 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

I'll give them the trophy for worst track in the Championship. Only seen two meetings as bought the BSN Championship season pass but the worst two meetings I've seen this season.

I've barely followed speedway since Swindon closed down. But going back a few years, I seem to remember that the Poole track was excellent every week according to the Poole fans but when the TV camera's were in town and everyone could watch it then it would be shocking. This was apparently always be a one off (at least until they were next on TV!) 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

All this talk about Poole being a crap track is utter garbage. If the racing was so poor there would be no one there. Yet Poole have the biggest crowds in the whole of the U.K. They wouldn’t turn up if it was follow the leader. Last night was an exception due to woeful opposition. Glasgow fans need to look no further than their team, rather than blame the Poole track.

Wimborne Road produces excellent racing, but it needs two teams in the meeting. If Poole riders both gate over lesser opposition, what do people actually think will happen?  Last night, heat after heat, Glasgow were found wanting out of the gate. People want passing but it needed the Glasgow riders to gate for the Poole riders to show how it’s done. Plenty of dirt on the outside but never really needed in anger as Pirates were away and gone. Pitiful Glasgow had no answer. It looked like they didn’t change their setups to suit the conditions after all having one ride.

Remember Halifax coming to Swindon in around 1974 and it was something like 60-15. 

At Poole we normally get both.

I would guess Oxford get bigger crowds than Poole. And they are a bigger club.

3 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Firstly Glasgow was very poor that goes without saying as 15 last places is a shocking statistic but let’s be fair Steve the Poole track is crap and that’s backed up by the almost complete lack of overtakes.

Poole have an excellent home track advantage and took full advantage of Glasgows shocking performance.

I am not sure who thought Vissing and Complin were a good idea but Brennan was outscored by Pijper.

Its all been pretty downhill since Dickson left.

And look how Leicester have done since he joined. Won the league & Cup, makes the play offs, goes up a league and are in a solid third.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I would guess Oxford get bigger crowds than Poole. And they are a bigger club.

High praise from a Swindon fan! While it’s great we all get along these days, would be amazing if they can re-open and we get the good old-fashioned rivalry going again. 

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

29 minutes ago, MD said:

Yes we were crap because we could'nt gate. We knew this going into it but came out worse than ever. This time last year we had Ostergaard who made us respectable by gating and by default winning races, despite not being the fastest of riders no one could pass him.

I'll disagree about Lawson & Worrall revelling in the outside dirt, they revelled in the 20 yard dash to turn 1. On the one occasion Lawson didn't gate quickest he couldn't get near Basso over the remaining 3.5 laps despite Basso also not looking the fastest. It is what it is, Glasgow aren't a bad team but can't blame anyone else, it wasn't a mystery what the track was going to be like.

He couldn't get near Basso because Basso placed his bike on the edge of the dirt.... the dirt which apparently doesn't exist at Poole.  Basso is no slouch and knows our track.  That's the reason why Lawson couldn't 'get near him'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chris4gillian said:

Isn't it funny that all those moaning and whining about how 'bad' the Poole track was are Tigers supporters.  One awful rut on bend 1 which was swiftly sorted is no excuse for such a poor display.

Just admit it guys, your lot were just cr@p.  That's the real reason why you lost so badly.  There was plenty of dirt around the outside, but none of your lot fancied it.  Lawson and Worrall revelled in it.

Well done the Pirates, that's how to do it :t:

Oh and well done Ace P, a great effort from a young Brit/Scot/Dane :D

I take it you were off school the day they did geography? Holland isn't in Denmark, his father Theo is Dutch.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Firstly Glasgow was very poor that goes without saying as 15 last places is a shocking statistic but let’s be fair Steve the Poole track is crap and that’s backed up by the almost complete lack of overtakes.

Poole have an excellent home track advantage and took full advantage of Glasgows shocking performance.

I am not sure who thought Vissing and Complin were a good idea but Brennan was outscored by Pijper.

Downhill by what measure?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

He couldn't get near Basso because Basso placed his bike on the edge of the dirt.... the dirt which apparently doesn't exist at Poole.  Basso is no slouch and knows our track.  That's the reason why Lawson couldn't 'get near him'.

So Lawson didnt revel in the dirt on the outside then?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Other than 2011, Glasgow under Dickson weren’t very good. Perhaps he lacked support when it came to team building?

8 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

High praise from a Swindon fan! While it’s great we all get along these days, would be amazing if they can re-open and we get the good old-fashioned rivalry going again. 

Haha yes please!! But it will never happen whilst Gaming and Russell are involved. Over 1,000 Swindon fans at Oxford in April shows you that the appetite for speedway in Swindon is still there and I would love nothing more than to have the Oxford and Poole rivalries back.  I'm only winding up the Poole fans anyway, I've missed that. To see any club getting big crowds in 2023 is good so fair play to them.

What has happened at Oxford is amazing and have been there a few times since you reopened and I'm jealous every time. A Poole Oxford final this year would be one to watch although as a Swindon fan its impossible to know who you want to win!!! Hate both!!

12 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

It's amazing that the likes of Redcar and Scunthorpe come to Poole's so-called 'carp track' and manage to make much more of a contest of it by scoring over 40 points respectively?! Yet a so-called 'top team' simply capitulated.:drink:

Yup. Cause they gated :icon_smile_clown:

Which makes it all the more embarrassing knowing that's what they had to do and yet managed 3 all night. Remind me did the Poole riders pass in any of those heats?

Edited by Jaizer