British Speedway Forum

Peterborough v Belle Vue Monday June 26th live on Eurosport

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

100% correct...

But you could have written the same, at least, 10 years ago..

The ego's involved though won't ever allow the fundamental, radical change needed...

Support through the turnstiles continues to fall and the cloth cap brigade have all but gone with no new blood coming through and with the financial demands from the riders, how much gate money really makes a difference these days. So much is now wrong with the sport from costs to riders, clubs and punters to intermittently run league meetings with gaps in the calendar throughout the summer months that makes it a joke to call it a summer sport added to which the poor tv coverage via Eurosport (BSN are the exception) through to the lunatics who run the sport and are the same idiots who are doing their utmost to stop the likes of the IOW running with Vacther and co being the cancer of the sport. Cut out these people and it may have a chance but it will probably take some clubs to break away and without knowing all the rules, I would suggest that come the end of season, clubs close, get the bonds refunded and then start up again under the governance of another body who are interested in making the sport a success but more importantly, a form of genuine entertainment for the punter.

Good job Tarasenko is there to inspire the Panthers, otherwise it would have been a walkover.

The interesting thing is watching meetings like this inspire you not to go to watch it live and to keep your money in your pocket.

I had resolved to get out and about this season to a few tracks up and down the country, but the more I watch it on TV the less likely I am to do that. You just get the feeling there is no point in driving miles just to be disappointed. That's the real tragedy of the sport these days.

Edited by Mr. Clemens

2 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

... more importantly, a form of genuine entertainment for the punter.

British speedway will never turn itself around by making itself a form of entertainment.

Times are different, too much competition and too many different attitudes to its heyday.

Success is making a sport for competitors. Create an inexpensive form of motorsport for hobby riders. This is almost completely non existent. Is there another successful sport without any grassroots? Speedway's an amateur sport pretending to be professional. It needs to be an amateur sport with semi-professional aspirations.

A strong competitor base will create a product for spectators but you want to put the cart before the horse. There are not enough speedway riders to run league speedway (speedway is an individual sport, not a team one IMO, but that's another matter). There are many, many problems in speedway, but lack of riders is by far and away the biggest one I can see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, truthsayer said:

…speedway is an individual sport, not a team one IMO, but that's another matter…

Couldn’t disagree more. I follow Leicester, and without that team aspect I wouldn’t go as often as I do.

• Like 3