British Speedway Forum

Mildenhall V Workington 18/06/23

paul84

Tigers v Comets 

Plenty of Comets fans looking to make the long trip so hopefully the weather is kind and we can get some revenge after our home defeat.

A few of our lads have experience of this track so let’s see what we can do, should be a close one!

Edited by paul84

Mildenhall at home usually look decent especially with this 1-5 but certainly look suspect at reserve without Warren. If the visitors can pack the minor places and capitalise on the weaker heats it could stay close. As ever too much depends on Harrisons score and if harry can't get the better of Richardson then its time for him to take a serious look at himself. 

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Mildenhall at home usually look decent especially with this 1-5 but certainly look suspect at reserve without Warren. If the visitors can pack the minor places and capitalise on the weaker heats it could stay close. As ever too much depends on Harrisons score and if harry can't get the better of Richardson then its time for him to take a serious look at himself. 

let the young lads race and gain knowledge of the sport . tey need time . just be glad you have speedway back in cumberland as they now call it .up the marras .

11 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Mickie Simpson looks a decent enough guest, could've been far worse off using an unattached 3.00 rider.

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Mickie Simpson looks a decent enough guest, could've been far worse off using an unattached 3.00 rider.

Well he beat Jason Edwards at West Row last season. And headed Ace Pijper and Connor Bailey in the first ever race at New Northside.

8 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

No rain at 6.15 just 5 miles from the track.  Would have definitely got the meeting on today.  

But if had tipped down at midday then everyone has had a wasted journey. The forecast was wrong, it happens. 

Say there was a forecast for storms in Workington and you drove all the way there for it to be called off. Bet you'd be happy as Larry. Promoters are damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

But if had tipped down at midday then everyone has had a wasted journey. The forecast was wrong, it happens. 

Say there was a forecast for storms in Workington and you drove all the way there for it to be called off. Bet you'd be happy as Larry. Promoters are damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

Absolutely.  And I’ve been to Germany twice for a rain off as well as Berwick and Edinburgh as well as many local rain offs. 
just saying on this occasion the meeting would have run without any rain issues.  I understand the huge costs of a late call off but I find it frustrating to call a meeting off because of a weather forecast. 

We were already down at Cambridge and were disappointed when the meeting was postponed as the rainfall radar sites generally showed Mildenhall to be on the very eastern edge of any precipitation until further on into the evening. May well have been spooked by the weather warning and the BBC who pretty much overhyped the potential weather forecast. There were a couple of heavier showers in Cambridge but nothing cataclysmic.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:48 PM, Bagpuss said:

I think they were probably spooked by the yellow weather warning but they've essentially cancelled the meeting because if a 60% chance of showers, always a good chance it was going to stay dry.

When I last looked the % chance was around the 80 mark. With the distance the Workington fans/riders were travelling it wasn't worth the risk. 

West Row does seem to have its own micro climate. I've been coming along the road to the track and it's been chucking it down. Get to the track and nothing. 

On 6/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, adz_mft said:

When I last looked the % chance was around the 80 mark. With the distance the Workington fans/riders were travelling it wasn't worth the risk. 

West Row does seem to have its own micro climate. I've been coming along the road to the track and it's been chucking it down. Get to the track and nothing. 

Quite agree, Locals know their weather far better than opposing teams and their supporters. Occasionally a home team will dream up excuses to cancel a meeting when they have injuries or team problems. Because of that visiting supporters tend to be cynical when a meeting gets calls off, but that's just natural cynicism.  

• Like 1