British Speedway Forum

Workington v Mildenhall 03/06/23 3pm.

9 hours ago, singy13 said:

See geoff Town were put in a position where they couldn't avoid getting rid of the 'old track'..............I'm, hopefully reliably, informed the Town RLFC were owed rental money.

But despite that financial situation Town were trying to assist in the proceedings of a planned new stadium, to be jointly shared by the Reds and Town.

The new stadium to be built on the current Reds area, with Reds moving to Derwent Park on a temp basis....therefore the football pitch requirements/size would of course mean no speedway track. Also when the new stadium was eventually built it was planned to dispose of Derwent Park completely......so don't blame Town for tearing up the speedway track they had no option but to do that.   Of course all these plans fell on stony ground via a prominent council officials input - which wasn't popular with rl and soccer devotees.

Anyway I think the Northside track shape is better than that of Derwent Park.......many a time I held my breath as someone went too wide on a very risky fourth bend at DP.

Wherever you got your information from regarding the track being dug up is total fabrication!

The track was being removed as the outgoing Comets were finished and the rugby pitch had to be made bigger to accommodate the Reds.

The majority of the shale was gifted to Northside by the outgoing  promotion and shipped straight over there, along with a lot of other gear. The new promotion would vouch for that if anyone was sad enough to ask.

Talking about sad, everyone loves a story but sadly singy13, yours is more than slightly skewed.

Just saying…

Edited by shady

9 hours ago, shady said:

The track was being removed as the outgoing Comets were finished and the rugby pitch had to be made bigger to accommodate the Reds.

Which is exactly what I've said in my post....... It was all to do with a new stadium plans and enabling Derwent Park to accomodate the footballing Reds to allow building work on their ground......Maybe you disagree with rental arrears I mentioned? I don't know if that was true or rumours but doesn't matter anymore.

Edited by singy13

Enuf about that other place !!! 

Sunshine speedway on at Costa del Northside areana get your shades and sunscreen this has potential to be a good meeting, hope we have plenty of water to put on the track .   UTC

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Neila said:

Enuf about that other place !!! 

Sunshine speedway on at Costa del Northside areana get your shades and sunscreen this has potential to be a good meeting, hope we have plenty of water to put on the track .   UTC

Yeah I agree DP gone re speedway bye bye.....Northside is like the weather hot hot...and so much more picturesque....great work by the track staff....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Harry McGurk will soon be on his way out.

Don't know what has happened to Harry, if they're looking for a replacement need to do it before he drops to a 3.00 average. Although Josh Warren has shown how riders can turn their form around after dropping to reserve!

13 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Don't know what has happened to Harry, if they're looking for a replacement need to do it before he drops to a 3.00 average. Although Josh Warren has shown how riders can turn their form around after dropping to reserve!

Whatever Harrys issues are its certainly not fair that he is passing them on to the paying Workington crowds. 

Has Warren turned it around? Big score but barely beat an opponent as most points were gained from mechanical breakdowns gifted to him. Think the next couple of matches will tell if he has had a confidence boost or lost his way.

Comets beaten by a more solid side, and a reserve who scored the points,  comets had 2 riders in main body of team scoring big points and several retirements or fallers in scoring positions,  but on the day better team won 

Taxi for harry plz hindsight is a wonderfull thing but after todays programme notes he says he aint happy or enjoying why didnt we keep kelsey?. Delays  dust and let down by the food outlets, plz tell the water tank driver put water on the inside where the riders ride! Saw a few people leaving early,roy was a miss get better soon,no mention about the meeting tomoz,what av would max glegg come in on,hope tony mole enjoyed it! How about putting start time to 6 or 6.30 track might hold water better.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Neila said:

Comets beaten by a more solid side, and a reserve who scored the points,  comets had 2 riders in main body of team scoring big points and several retirements or fallers in scoring positions,  but on the day better team won 

Just shows how 3 heat leaders can make a difference,ref had a shocker 2 missed green lights we were lucky in ht 8 elliot had clearly shed a chain!

Some good speedway today, beaten by the better team who had 3 solid heat leaders. Mechanicals and falls cost the Comets valuable points. Harry continues to struggle with only 6 points from 15 rides to date a bit of a concern. Connor was good value today and rode a brilliant heat 15 before what looked like a mechanical cost him a much deserved win. Elliot was in the wars again and may also have suffered a mechanical for his second big of,f hope he isn't too bad. Great comeback for young Luke Harrison who also had a mechanical when in a scoring position. The skipper won't have been happy, he also had a mechanical in his his first ride when in a scoring position. 

More seating had been installed on the first bend since last week and it looked great so well done to all concerned. Unfortunate delay when someone took ill in the crowd with 2 races to go and once again on a breezy warm day it was hard work to keep the dust down. Missed Ranting Roy today, never thought I would say that.

Well done to the Fen tigers.

• Like 4

On 6/1/2023 at 4:13 PM, Piotr Pyszny said:

Thank you. Looking forward to it. Having lived in Whitehaven for a little over five years, between 1986 and 1992, I know how friendly Cumbrians are. :-)

I still smile when I recall some of the Glasgow-in-exile meetings I watched at Derwent Park in 1987!

So did you enjoy your visit today??

49 minutes ago, singy13 said:

So did you enjoy your visit today??

Yes, we did. My wife was happy to do all the driving from and to York, so very much win win. :-) Lovely day to be crossing Stainmore and sliding beneath Blencathra. One of the clearest views of the Kirkcudbrightshire coast I've ever had from the Workington-Maryport area.

Very impressed with the track and the facilities. The racing was more interesting - less processional - in the second half of the match. Workington seemed to have a month's worth of bad luck in one meeting but, as others have said, there's no substitute for three strong heat leaders (not to mention useful points from one of your reserves).

Can't help feeling floodlights (on the cards, eventually?) and evening meetings would suit Workington better.

While the days are long, would it be worth starting a bit later - maybe 4pm or 4.30pm? On a day like today, might give the track a better chance.

During the pregnant pause between heats 13 and 14, I did a rough spectator head count. Came to about 800.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2

Another enjoyable meeting today obviously not the score we wanted but plenty of good signs especially from Luke Harrison great stuff . 

Hope Elliot is ok that was a nasty one need him ok for the 18th away at Mildenhall 

Still very happy to see speedway back at Workington such a great set up too!

• Like 2