British Speedway Forum

Workington v Mildenhall 03/06/23 3pm.

12 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Would say he's about 85% at the moment no issues on the bike but feels it when the adrenaline stops. As a family we are happy with his recovery so far

Let's hope as he develops that he (and all the other young riders coming through), get looked after with ring fenced team places in the middle tier..

Which should be their key development ground as they organically bridge the gap between 3rd Div and the top league...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Let's hope as he develops that he (and all the other young riders coming through), get looked after with ring fenced team places in the middle tier..

Which should be their key development ground as they organically bridge the gap between 3rd Div and the top league...

100% true sadly our sport looks for the next bright prospect promises so much and fails so often. I don't understand why we don't have under 21 British riders at both reserve positions until they're 20 or 21 regardless of the averages. Also would like to see top three average riders in a team  at 1,3,5 and the 4th and fifth at 2 the 4 . Reserves should only ride against each other twice then the oppositions 2 and 4 once as this is where the next step out of reserve is . Having young reserves race against heat leaders is a frankly ridiculous state of affairs. 

• Like 4

I hope Harry will rediscover his love for the sport. 

The Sam Norris crash, a few years back, must have affected both brothers and others close to that age group, although fantastic to see how Sam recovers as time goes by. 

The spell at Plymouth in CL is a perfect example of how the sport uses young lads not yet ready and then spits them out with shot confidence and dissilusion. 

Hopefully Harry can regroup stronger

Edited by HGould
Spelling
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

100% true sadly our sport looks for the next bright prospect promises so much and fails so often. I don't understand why we don't have under 21 British riders at both reserve positions until they're 20 or 21 regardless of the averages. Also would like to see top three average riders in a team  at 1,3,5 and the 4th and fifth at 2 the 4 . Reserves should only ride against each other twice then the oppositions 2 and 4 once as this is where the next step out of reserve is . Having young reserves race against heat leaders is a frankly ridiculous state of affairs. 

The Elite League fast track format did exactly that. I thought it was the perfect race format. Surely heat leaders racing each other more often, ditto the reserves is good for the fans (closer racing), for the riders (improve more when racing similar standard riders) and the promoter's (high paying heat leaders will naturally score less).

I particularly dislike the weakest Champ reserve racing at 6, after heat 2 he meets the 1+2 then 3+4 pairing then most likely dropped from his 4th ride. How can they expect to improve under those circumstances.

I certainly much prefer the RS having to race at 7 & not able to be replaced in heat 8 in the Prem, wish they'd at least do the same in the Champ with the lowest averaged reserve. 

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, HGould said:

I hope Harry will rediscover his love for the sport. 

The Sam Norris crash, a few years back, must have affected both brothers and others close to that age group, although fantastic to see how Sam recovers as time goes by. 

The spell at Plymouth in CL is a perfect example of how the sport uses young lads not yet ready and then spits them out with shot confidence and dissilusion. 

Hopefully Harry can regroup stronger

Yes, it's sad to see such a great respect as Harry having such a bad time. He had a big off once in I think a Czech meeting a few years, and had to be nursed back from that. He had a mixed year last year with the Colts with some poor rides in a fairly decent year hence his start average this year. Last year it was Sam that had some 0 meetings and look how well he is flying now. Both seem to be prone to have the odd bad meetings but Harry this year is a different matter. Worky really need to replace him quickly while he takes time to get it back. Worky being such a great investment needs to be winning everything at home and performing well away. A second heat leader getting under 2 points per meeting is not good for their future.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it is worth, for me..

The top league should be six man teams, with a 4pt minimum level, (no bunnies)...

The 2nd tier then runs 7 man teams with numbers 6 and 7 ring fenced as U21 UK or Parental qualification riders...

The 3rd tier then running 8 man teams..

With 4 "decent" riders, 2 "ok" riders, and 2 "newbies" per team.. (use averages to determine the demarcation)..

With the bottom two riders pretty much "pay to play" given it is simply an outlet for them to develop from scratch..

Doubling up and down should be organic, ie lower end of Div 1 riding in Div 2, lower end of Div 2 riding in Div 3..

Any rider with a team place overseas cannot DU, meaning that no meeting should ever not take place over here because of another league somewhere else, or be a guestfest because of them..

Riders DU ing over here would then have to commit to the UK, meaning guests not needed and credibility...

And young lads have an organic development pathway to whatever level their individual talents reach...

No matter how many times BV win their league, or Poole win theirs, it wont generate anywhere near the publicity that a constantly successful national team will..

And the more the awareness, the better the crowds, but, and even more importantly, the more the young lads become aware of the sport and will see what they can earn, and what publicity they can get, and therefore, want to give it a go..

A virtuous circle.. (or oval maybe?)..

Poland keep a conveyor belt of talent going for a reason..

Staying at the top brings coverage, sponsors, and fans..

And plenty of lads then to aspire to be part of it...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Any rider with a team place overseas cannot DU, meaning no meeting should take place because of another league somewhere else..

Riders DU ing over here would then have to commit to the UK, meaning guests not needed and credibility...

This part I agree with most, nothing against the guy, but Sam Masters racing as a number one in the Prem, doubling up in the Champ & racing in Poland, while 5 point Brits can't get a Champ spot doesn't sit well with me!

We can't trust the promoter's to use Brits first, so will have to put in rules to ensure they are

• Like 5