British Speedway Forum

Finale of UK Speedway ?

On 6/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, Chris said:

The lease agreement with the new landlords and council permission has still to be signed off I think, but certainly seems a lot more positive. The landlords have seemingly given up on their plan for football pitches and are going to put in for planning permission to restore the track.

New landlords shot themselves in the foot by building without planning permission and ripping the track up without permission. A stop order was put on the land by the council so it hasn't been touched for a couple of years. They have put in a couple of planning applications but I don't think they've ever been heard. The council have been abysmal through the process anyway by waving through retrospective planning permission when they knocked the stand down and generally not being interested in the landlords breaking planning laws until they were threatened with legal action.

Fair play to Steve Ribbons as it would have been artificial football pitches by now if not for him. Still a couple of hurdles to go though, but they want to run in the Championship in 2024 if all goes well.

Went karting at the track next door to the Rye House stadium a couple of months ago. The stadium still looked in fairly good condition (to some extent better than it originally did back in the day :D), although huge piles of earth had been dumped all over the track and I think part of the terracing as well.