British Speedway Forum

Kent Royals license revoked!

2 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

Thanks

Very interesting information. 

I don't have the Speedway Star article with Jim Lawrence in front of me, but from recollection it included 3 main points:

1 confirmation that riders could ride in NORA meetings if they chose to ( I suspect we all knew that)

2 clubs, such as Scunthorpe, had run meetings / practices under NORA in the past and had gotten away with it, but they were all under SCB now; and

3 there is a potential insurance risk to SCB if an incident happens at a NORA event on an SCB licenced track, confirmed by SCBs insurers ( who incidents are the same insurers as NORA uses.

SCB could if course publish that advice for transparency, so we could all see it.

It's interesting that you say Scunthorpe does allow other motorcycle events to take place on it's track, as indeed does King's Lynn.

I've no doubt SCB will be getting a number of emails from concerned fans about the issue. I'd encourage anyone doing so to be factual in their contact and follow it up if any response is not credible. 

Events still advertised as upcoming under Nora at other tracks including Kings Lynn. Will these all be cancelled due to the pressure from the SCB, will the fines be issued to the other tracks and bans issued or is it only Kent getting pushed around?

31 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Events still advertised as upcoming under Nora at other tracks including Kings Lynn. Will these all be cancelled due to the pressure from the SCB, will the fines be issued to the other tracks and bans issued or is it only Kent getting pushed around?

Don't forget that Plymouth were forced out of the NORA league before it even started due to threats from either SCB or BSPL.

Restraint of trade is illegal and the SCB could therefore face legal action from two of their own promotions and the stadium owners involved.

If SCB fine every promotion that has no control over what other events take place at the stadium they use I can see BSPL ceasing to exist even sooner than many of us fear.

This is spiteful and biased by the SCB and I doubt that it would stand up in a court of law, what concerns me is who has actually made this decision is it the SCB or the BSPL the SCB has nothing to worry about from NORA (Kent) but the BSPL may possibly see NORA as a threat to it's control over British Speedway which it has overseen whilst it has gone downhill year after year since the 1980's.

7 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

This is spiteful and biased by the SCB and I doubt that it would stand up in a court of law, what concerns me is who has actually made this decision is it the SCB or the BSPL the SCB has nothing to worry about from NORA (Kent) but the BSPL may possibly see NORA as a threat to it's control over British Speedway which it has overseen whilst it has gone downhill year after year since the 1980's.

SCB or BSPL its still Godfrey on the board. Smarmy Vatcher and Lawrence are the mouth pieces but they are paid puppets of the BSPL so look at the insecure little men who are afraid thier monopoly will crumble further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Exactly that.

SCB now need to be absolutely clear on the basis on which they have fined Kent and revoked its licence ( suspended for a year), and I would suggest that they need to publish the evidence they have used and the advice they have relied on - and then how this is different to how they are treating other tracks. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 4:55 PM, phillwhitewasmad said:

A lot keeps getting said that scunthorpe run Nora speedway events as a point of interest could someone actually clarify which meetings these were and on what dates and which riders were present. Or is it that scunthorpe run Nora licences events such as dirt diggers meeting,  flat track series run by Richard Hollingsworth or stock cars. 
would be interesting to get the full picture based on facts rather than assumptions based on not liking Rob Godfrey.

Nora events are ‘ flatrack ‘ events or ‘  ‘ Dirtrack ‘ , ( 2 different companies but both run under Nora rules ) but the last one that was to be held at Scunthorpe was cancelled as the company didn’t think the track surface was suitable for their event which was to include sidecars and quad bikes. These events are not solely  ‘ speedway ‘ but have included 125 , 160 adult and 250cc speedway races. These same events have been held at both Kings Lynn and Redcar and possibly one or two other tracks ? Iwade ? Sittingbourne ?  Richard has also run his own flat track events, not sure if the SCB licence those , presumably they are run under ACU regulations.

On 5/28/2023 at 7:52 PM, geoff100 said:

Nora meetings dont have to have an air fence,also they need insurance as the bspa insurance doesnt cover them,u can hire any stadium  but u must cover yourselves !

Hi Geoff, this isnt correct, Nora must have an airfence for speedway. However, the Younglions did stage a training camp under the direction of the SCB at Macron without an airfence, so I am not really sure any longer on the SCBs stance of track safety. The same can be said of the mini track at Scunthorpe and I believe the Berwick training track, neither have air fences.

37 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

Hi Geoff, this isnt correct, Nora must have an airfence for speedway. However, the Younglions did stage a training camp under the direction of the SCB at Macron without an airfence, so I am not really sure any longer on the SCBs stance of track safety. The same can be said of the mini track at Scunthorpe and I believe the Berwick training track, neither have air fences.

Hi barry ,i will bow to u on this one was just repeating what i was told by someone in the know when asked last weekend at northside( guess who) next time on the island in the big red bus will pop along say hi .

9 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Barry Duns training Track has an air fence 

Edited by Binman
  • Thanks 1

Wembley Lion,

Don't waste your time/bandwidth writing to Jim Lawrence. Have done in the past and not even received an acknowledgement of my email.

I think all speedway fans will view the SCB/BSPL decision to suspend/ fine one of its own members  with the contempt it deserves.

The hogwash spouted about "insurance" seems a thinly veiled excuse to try and prevent more clubs migrating to the NORA speedway organisation.

Brings back memories of1964/1965 and the Shawcross Report

Key dates are in he attached file.

1965timeline.pdf

11 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Wembley Lion,

Don't waste your time/bandwidth writing to Jim Lawrence. Have done in the past and not even received an acknowledgement of my email.

I think all speedway fans will view the SCB/BSPL decision to suspend/ fine one of its own members  with the contempt it deserves.

The hogwash spouted about "insurance" seems a thinly veiled excuse to try and prevent more clubs migrating to the NORA speedway organisation.

Brings back memories of1964/1965 and the Shawcross Report

Key dates are in he attached file.

1965timeline.pdf

Has anyone had a reply

To be honest whilst the actions were despisably petty it has only had a positive effect on the Nora operations and gained a lot of support and interest from across the sport. Ultimately all publicity is good publicity and i hope it has not only strengthened the resolve of those involved but also tempted more to join the ranks.

• Like 8

On 5/31/2023 at 9:08 AM, barrybishop said:

Berwick's training track DOES have an airfence

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Are Kent Speedway still in business?  Have they lost their track licence? Last home meeting I have found was on 17th May 3 weeks ago. 

All gone awfully quiet.

Next home match 18 June vs Belle Vue

1 hour ago, mc131 said:

That is Ridiculous and 1 away match in that time

That's next Sunday! This time last season Kent had ridden one home league match and two away, there were two home league matches in July, August and September. So far this season they've ridden one at home and three away. They have one home meeting next week,  two in July, two in August and one in September. There are only 8 teams in the NDL so meeting are spread out throughout the season.

There was an amateur meeting today, and last week would have been the second NORA meeting but that was cancelled.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Come on the Skipper said:

That's next Sunday! This time last season Kent had ridden one home league match and two away, there were two home league matches in July, August and September. So far this season they've ridden one at home and three away. They have one home meeting next week,  two in July, two in August and one in September. There are only 8 teams in the NDL so meeting are spread out throughout the season.

There was an amateur meeting today, and last week would have been the second NORA meeting but that was cancelled.

Not enough fixtures for sure, Workington have staged 4 Home NDL fixtures out of the 7  scheduled. Only leaves 3 for the rest of the season and one of them is on June 24th.

• Like 1