British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star

• 1 month later...

Getting increasingly disillusioned with the Speedway Star. 

Take today's issue dated September 14, 2024.

I had to bypass 15 pages of GP news before getting to British Speedway news

Being increasingly disconnected from the relatively closed shop, increasingly dull, one horse race Grand Prix series, I don't read 90% of the GP write ups.

I don't have anything against Bartoz Zmarzlik. If he can knock up 6 to 10 world titles, because he has no decent consistent opposition, good luck to the lad, but that sort of set up is not for me.

I have always said that sport is all about competition, if there is no competition then there is no point in it, as far as I am concerned. And that goes for any sport you want to name. 

I find it strange that there are 2 columns (page 8 and 9) called the 'GP Fan Watch' printing the 'on line views of supporters'!!! I don't understand why I should be paying £3:40 to read things that I have read for free on forums.

I don't see the point of the Kelvin Tatum/Chris Louis interactions from the commentary box. Why would I want to pay £3:40 to read what Tatum/Louis when I heard them say it on TV. 

Pages 14 and 15 were taken up with the SGP2 a meeting with minimal British involvement and therefore of minimal interest to myself. Most of the riders taking part unknown to me

Then it is British Speedway news from page 16 to 37 followed by 5 pages of European speedway news of passing interest to me. Then the Grass track section. Finally the ONE page national league news. 

It seems to me that the Star is increasing the Polish coverage more and more as time goes by. There may be good reason for them to do so but it's not for me. 

Personally, I am not interested in Polish Speedway and I don't read 90% of what is written in those articles. I have seen speedway in Poland and it's no better or worse than in the UK. Sometimes watching the man bang the drum and the crowd getting worked up was more interesting than what was taking place on the track. 

• Confused 1

On 9/12/2024 at 2:53 PM, Mr. Clemens said:

Getting increasingly disillusioned with the Speedway Star. 

Take today's issue dated September 14, 2024.

I had to bypass 15 pages of GP news before getting to British Speedway news

Being increasingly disconnected from the relatively closed shop, increasingly dull, one horse race Grand Prix series, I don't read 90% of the GP write ups.

I don't have anything against Bartoz Zmarzlik. If he can knock up 6 to 10 world titles, because he has no decent consistent opposition, good luck to the lad, but that sort of set up is not for me.

I have always said that sport is all about competition, if there is no competition then there is no point in it, as far as I am concerned. And that goes for any sport you want to name. 

I find it strange that there are 2 columns (page 8 and 9) called the 'GP Fan Watch' printing the 'on line views of supporters'!!! I don't understand why I should be paying £3:40 to read things that I have read for free on forums.

I don't see the point of the Kelvin Tatum/Chris Louis interactions from the commentary box. Why would I want to pay £3:40 to read what Tatum/Louis when I heard them say it on TV. 

Pages 14 and 15 were taken up with the SGP2 a meeting with minimal British involvement and therefore of minimal interest to myself. Most of the riders taking part unknown to me

Then it is British Speedway news from page 16 to 37 followed by 5 pages of European speedway news of passing interest to me. Then the Grass track section. Finally the ONE page national league news. 

It seems to me that the Star is increasing the Polish coverage more and more as time goes by. There may be good reason for them to do so but it's not for me. 

Personally, I am not interested in Polish Speedway and I don't read 90% of what is written in those articles. I have seen speedway in Poland and it's no better or worse than in the UK. Sometimes watching the man bang the drum and the crowd getting worked up was more interesting than what was taking place on the track. 

Don’t bother buying it if you are dissolutioned  with it.British speedway is just second rate these days a handful of matches in a week if you lucky.If it wasn’t for Continental and Polish + Grass Track it would be 5 page Magazine.Personally i find it a great read.But each to their Own.

• Like 2

I tend to agree with this complainant. I think the Speedway Star is gradually concentrating more and more on the Continental scene at the expense of  British news. I think it's still a decent read but there are increasing parts of the magazine such as the "Polish Scene" and the Grasstrack news, that I never read.

Maybe they should do a "Guest Of The Week" feature..

Covering all the riders who score points for other teams apart from their own..?

That would fill a few pages for the UK coverage...:D

Personally, it is still excellent value for money and a superb window into the sport for anyone outside looking in..

They truly do make a silk purse out of a sows ear at times..

• Like 5

On 9/13/2024 at 5:05 PM, brianbuck said:

I tend to agree with this complainant. I think the Speedway Star is gradually concentrating more and more on the Continental scene at the expense of  British news. I think it's still a decent read but there are increasing parts of the magazine such as the "Polish Scene" and the Grasstrack news, that I never read.

There is not same number of fixtures and News these days in GB though.Needs something to fill the pages,I really enjoy the Foreign news but the delivery standards need to be addressed.Personally think the problem is Royal Mail local deliveries due to lack of staff.All my mail is affected these days.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2024 at 6:55 PM, mikebv said:

Maybe they should do a "Guest Of The Week" feature..

Covering all the riders who score points for other teams apart from their own..?

That would fill a few pages for the UK coverage...:D

Personally, it is still excellent value for money and a superb window into the sport for anyone outside looking in..

They truly do make a silk purse out of a sows ear at times..

Thanks to our stats man Doug Nicolson, NICOLSON'S NUMBERS does occasionally compile and print Guest Tables - one showing teams and how their respective guests have performed; the other an individual chart showing the best guests in terms of points and averages.

• Like 1