British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Vs Oxford Championship 5th May

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

BBC has rain all day, met office sporadic showers and my phone app has rain most of day too. Na just thought I'd make it up :rolleyes:

There's the photos for 4pm and 7pm - the one at 10pm is entirely clear.

Explain to me again how this is enough rain to call off a speedway meeting.

4pm.jpg

7pm.jpg

1 minute ago, Silver Cheetah Snr said:

Yes it is now. Was reposted at 08:52 so if you are not Glasgow Speedway then don't cover up for them.

What's covering for them? A mistake was made they've corrected it, the forecast still shows rain all day today 

1 minute ago, lucifer sam said:

4pm.jpg

7pm.jpg

We could argue all day. I'm not saying it's right decision, I'm frustrated it's off as looks a cracking meeting. Decisions been made, we'll find out later in the day what forecast was accurate. And to answer your other point any rain nowadays is enough given current equipment and rider attitudes!!

6 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

4pm.jpg

7pm.jpg

You want to put up a radar photo for 19.15 when the blue/ green blob will be over Springburn, just before tapes up. It's irrelevant where it's clear or not at 10pm, the damage will have been done earlier

Edited by Beirao

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

We could argue all day. I'm not saying it's right decision, I'm frustrated it's off as looks a cracking meeting. Decisions been made, we'll find out later in the day what forecast was accurate. And to answer your other point any rain nowadays is enough given current equipment and rider attitudes!!

Good point - we've already said what we're going to say!

Now going from Oxford to Scunny tonight, which actually has a marginally worse forecast than Glasgow, but I trust them to put on a meeting when it's possible.

Edited by lucifer sam

5 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Good point - we've already said what we're going to say!

Now going from Oxford to Scunny tonight, which actually has a marginally worse forecast than Glasgow, but I trust them to put on a meeting when it's possible.

Good luck at Scunthorpe tonight but were you aware of the supporter unrest following Glasgow's recent heat six abandonment and the £4 discount that was given? Some supporters vowed not to come again on a night when the forecast was poor  - like tonight. May be Glasgow have made a rod for their own back but that's the path we seem to be going down. 

6 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Good luck at Scunthorpe tonight but were you aware of the supporter unrest following Glasgow's recent heat six abandonment and the £4 discount that was given? Some supporters vowed not to come again on a night when the forecast was poor  - like tonight. May be Glasgow have made a rod for their own back but that's the path we seem to be going down. 

Would not blame any track these days for call off if a dodgy weather forecast.Berwick match is Good example.Very little rain during day light drizzle 1/2 hour before match started,no rain forecast from 17.00on weather charts,persistent rain at heat 4 abandoned after Ht6.Very localised in Glasgow areas, as on the way home had not been raining at Newhouse 8 miles down the road.

Good decision these days given the cost involved for travelling fans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beirao said:

You want to put up a radar photo for 19.15 when the blue/ green blob will be over Springburn, just before tapes up. It's irrelevant where it's clear or not at 10pm, the damage will have been done earlier

Those are pathetically small amounts of rain. No yellow/ red patches at all. Quite large gaps between showers. Probably less than 10% of the rain that fell on Gorican last week, or Oxford v Poole last month. Both of which proceded without incident. If those spots are sufficient for a call off then no track is going to complete the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

Sorry, but I was travelling from Oxford, but would rather take the risk. It can always happen. What's far more of a pain is rescheduling all the plans. Would have to think about ever travelling again to Glasgow after this - it's obvious why the meeting has been called off.

Obvious it has started to rain now and the forecast is for more later but you crack on with your theory.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Good decision these days given the cost involved for travelling fans.

The complete opposite. The travelling fans had already booked time off work, hotels, etc.  To call a meeting off because of the possibility of a pitiful amount of rain reveals disrespect and contempt for the travelling fans.  The Glasgow management should just come clean and reveal why tonight was called off, because if they can't stage a meeting tonight due to the amount of rain forecast, then how can anybody ever trust them to put on a meeting again?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

Sorry, but I was travelling from Oxford, but would rather take the risk. It can always happen. What's far more of a pain is rescheduling all the plans. Would have to think about ever travelling again to Glasgow after this - it's obvious why the meeting has been called off.

Just come up anyway, you can take in the junior meeting at Armadale.

• Haha 1

Just now, lucifer sam said:

The complete opposite. The travelling fans had already booked time off work, hotels, etc.  To call a meeting off because of the possibility of a pitiful amount of rain reveals disrespect and contempt for the travelling fans.  The Glasgow management should just come clean and reveal why tonight was called off, because if they can't stage a meeting tonight due to the amount of rain forecast, then how can anybody ever trust them to put on a meeting again?

Rob they have come clean, overnight Rain with more to follow what would you prefer an early call off no need to travel or travel up and find the weather hasn't played ball as you well know hotels, etc are part and parcel of following the sport. 

1 minute ago, Gazc said:

Rob they have come clean, overnight Rain with more to follow what would you prefer an early call off no need to travel or travel up and find the weather hasn't played ball as you well know hotels, etc are part and parcel of following the sport. 

They are indeed, and it won't stop me doing it all again. In my case, the day off work can't be reclaimed, but the hotel was still refundable. Others have been less lucky.  

But I do expect the management of clubs to play ball and make every effort to get a meeting on. It's very hard to see that that's happened in this case. Surely you'll agree that is a very light "rain off"?  Just look at how light the rain in the forecast actually is.

• Like 1