British Speedway Forum

Jubilee final!!!!!

30 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Because they made that happen? I mean if you are not going to agree to dates for fixtures (allegedly) then hard to do them!

We had dates available. If we didn't want to race, why did we manage to arrange races with Poole in the playoffs? Surely that would be the competition we'd want to win more, and be awkward about dates... Yet we managed to provide a banged up 7 regardless. If we could provide 7 for that, I don't see why we'd make it a problem for the cup.

So it doesn't make sense to me that we were the awkward ones. We are the most flexible team on dates. We own our track and I don't know of any local restrictions.

Regardless, the real fault is with the speedway authorities for not organising things properly at a central level. It shouldn't be up to any club to dictate things. Set the date, tell the teams to turn up, or forfeit. Easy!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

We had dates available. If we didn't want to race, why did we manage to arrange races with Poole in the playoffs? Surely that would be the competition we'd want to win more, and be awkward about dates... Yet we managed to provide a banged up 7 regardless. If we could provide 7 for that, I don't see why we'd make it a problem for the cup.

So it doesn't make sense to me that we were the awkward ones. We are the most flexible team on dates. We own our track and I don't know of any local restrictions.

Regardless, the real fault is with the speedway authorities for not organising things properly at a central level. It shouldn't be up to any club to dictate things. Set the date, tell the teams to turn up, or forfeit. Easy!

Yeah, just what i was told as i thought it was Leicester who were delaying originally! Think the reason given was you had a couple of riders carrying knocks. Anyway we prob still be talking about this in 10 years time lol.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, iainb said:

Can see the finals of this years competition being run before the final of last years at the moment... if Glasgow & Poole reach the final of the BSN maybe Leicester could join them... if Glasgow don't pull out of the final of the BSN of course :D

I was thinking the same thing, I can't even laugh - it must be the worst run competition in speedway history! 

A simple solution to all of the fixture problems/fiddles is to make it a condition of entry to the leagues that all teams have to provide a list of dates when they are able to run home meetings. A central independent panel would then issue a fixture list and any team who failed to organise any fixture they had been given would be deducted 4 league points. The fixture would then be reissued and a second failure would be a 6 point deduction. The signing of riders who are not available due to riding elsewhere would not be a reason for postponing a meeting and only rider replacement would be used. Any meeting postponed due to weather or stadium lighting failing or fences being broken would be run with the riders who were available on the original date to stop teams postponing so their star will be available on the new date. The howls of protest during the first year from promotions who couldn't fiddle things would soon die down and we might find teams filled with riders who don't only ride here when they can't find a better pay day elsewhere. Poland, quite rightly, look after their leagues and it is time we did the same. Our top two leagues now have headline sponsors and the BSPL need to look after the businesses who are supporting British Speedway. Premiership riders contracts must have a clause which says they are available for all Monday and Thursday fixtures from 1st March to 31st October. Equally Championship riders must confirm their availability for all dates their team could be expected to race on for the whole season. If a rider will not sign to race for every fixture their team is racing then thank them for their interest and find a rider who will commit themselves to their team. 

I fully understand that the above is not possible for probably two or three years but the first moves need to be made before next season and a clear published plan needs to be in place AND followed to the letter with none of the usual BSPL five year plan nonsense where they are dropped after one season.

39 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Any meeting postponed due to weather or stadium lighting failing or fences being broken would be run with the riders who were available on the original date to stop teams postponing so their star will be available on the new date.

While I applaud your efforts to improve things, there is one thing I would certainly not go with. Let's say a team is due to use guests & the match is postponed because the track is under water. When it's re-arranged both teams have all 7 riders available, but you'd be forcing them to use guests (who are not needed). Most fans hate guests so I can't imagine home fans would be pleased to see a home man sitting out a fixture he's available for. Plus what would you do if the guest was injured? Can you go back to the team man or have to find another guest lol!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris116 said:

A simple solution to all of the fixture problems/fiddles is to make it a condition of entry to the leagues that all teams have to provide a list of dates when they are able to run home meetings. A central independent panel would then issue a fixture list and any team who failed to organise any fixture they had been given would be deducted 4 league points. The fixture would then be reissued and a second failure would be a 6 point deduction. The signing of riders who are not available due to riding elsewhere would not be a reason for postponing a meeting and only rider replacement would be used. Any meeting postponed due to weather or stadium lighting failing or fences being broken would be run with the riders who were available on the original date to stop teams postponing so their star will be available on the new date. The howls of protest during the first year from promotions who couldn't fiddle things would soon die down and we might find teams filled with riders who don't only ride here when they can't find a better pay day elsewhere. Poland, quite rightly, look after their leagues and it is time we did the same. Our top two leagues now have headline sponsors and the BSPL need to look after the businesses who are supporting British Speedway. Premiership riders contracts must have a clause which says they are available for all Monday and Thursday fixtures from 1st March to 31st October. Equally Championship riders must confirm their availability for all dates their team could be expected to race on for the whole season. If a rider will not sign to race for every fixture their team is racing then thank them for their interest and find a rider who will commit themselves to their team. 

I fully understand that the above is not possible for probably two or three years but the first moves need to be made before next season and a clear published plan needs to be in place AND followed to the letter with none of the usual BSPL five year plan nonsense where they are dropped after one season.

And maybe those who run the sport could stop planning in fixtures when the global FIM calendar clearly states that their meetings are taking place.. 

When they organise meetings on those dates, inevitably using RR and Guests, then it sends out two messages.. 

One being that even the promoters dont take their own competitions seriously..

And two, the over riding priority of the sport in the UK is simply to provide riders with as much chance to earn as much money as they can, regardless of impact to its credibility..

The only other sports I can think off that have their competitors elsewhere when clubs compete is RU and Cricket, however, they run large squads, rather than share employees, and have large sponsorship to afford those squards..

So much of UK Speedeay's issues are "self inflicted" which is baffling given so many of them could so easily be avoided with just a bit of planning, organisation, discipline and leadership..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, StevePark said:

.... if they wait 25 years then it would still be a Jubilee year.... just a different monarch... :rofl:

And the Thompson's might still be riding (and Scott Nicholls could guest for Poole)

• Haha 2

On 5/16/2023 at 11:52 PM, Chris116 said:

Any meeting postponed due to weather or stadium lighting failing or fences being broken would be run with the riders who were available on the original date to stop teams postponing so their star will be available on the new date.

Just realised how this ruling could fail, Scunthorpe vs Birmingham cancelled - then Pearson swaps teams, but for the re-staging he'd have to swap teams again for one night lol!

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Just realised how this ruling could fail, Scunthorpe vs Birmingham cancelled - then Pearson swaps teams, but for the re-staging he'd have to swap teams again for one night lol!

Just goes to show how writing rules can be so difficult.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I doubt it is ever going to happen with the current fixture chaos! 

Sticking with the Shovelar logic, because Leicester decided to move up a league, they should forfeit  the trophy. Plus Poole would've won by loads anyways so it's not like they're stealing it.

• Haha 1

If it isn’t going to happen then it should be announced.

Staging it a season late was a shambles in the first place. To sweep it under the rug is unforgivable. 

Imagine the FA Cup final wasn’t played and the FA kicked the can down the road a little way before dropping it altogether and just hoping nobody noticed. 

Make an announcement. Stop treating your supporters like mushrooms. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

If they turned this final into a Nigel Pearson memorial & tried to raise money for the Ben Fund, something I'm sure Nigel would have been keen on (& his family happy with) do you think the riders & clubs would make an effort put it on out of respect for Nige?

That would be very Speedway. How shall we get it done in a way to stop people complaining? We’ll stick a dead man’s name on the trophy.

• Like 1