British Speedway Forum

BIRMINGHAM V COVENTRY WEDS 12 APRIL

15 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Oxford might be riding which rules out Scott. Good job Poole have no meeting otherwise wouldn't even got Roynon!! A lot of other former Coventry riders have retired by now. 

Oxford are riding on Wednesday against Plymouth which also rules out former Bee, Ben Barker.

23 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

which 4?   Freddy Hodder's granddad rode for the Bees so has connections with the club.  The Thompson twins may not have ridden in the Bees...

And that. ladies and gentlemen (whether you self-identify as such or not) is a symbol of where the sport is going wrong, if you have to target the grandparents generation for your income stream.

If being a mascot qualifies you, then how about programme and raffle ticket sellers? 

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

And that. ladies and gentlemen (whether you self-identify as such or not) is a symbol of where the sport is going wrong, if you have to target the grandparents generation for your income stream.

If being a mascot qualifies you, then how about programme and raffle ticket sellers? 

FFS! It's a Challenge match!

• Like 7

On 4/9/2023 at 7:06 PM, Racin Jason 72 said:

And 4 riders who have never ridden for Coventry. Strange choice if you’re trying to attract Coventry supporters to attend. 

Surely 4 guests is 'standard' these days? :D

Just want and hope to see some action....not too fussed about the opposition.

Harris/King are worth the entrance fee alone at PB!

10 hours ago, uk_martin said:

And if you dont?.....'there would be hardly any supporters'....it is what it is....unfortunately!

On 4/9/2023 at 9:51 PM, Speedway fan said:

which 4?   Freddy Hodder's granddad rode for the Bees so has connections with the club.  The Thompson twins may not have ridden in the Bees side but started their speedway on 125's at Brandon , Connor Mountain rode in Cov colours in 2018, Chris Harris, Danny King and Adam Roynon were definitely Bees.

Someone trying to be constructive about connections.

12 hours ago, uk_martin said:

The opposite side of the spectrum.

Criticism is always welcome as long as their is a constructive way to redeem it.

Most riders still around from the Bees era are either riding elsewhere or busy doing jobs, who would you like to see in the Coventry team?

Well done to all at Birmingham for helping to keep the name of Coventry in the publics eye and lets live in hope of a return one day.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brummies_Ste said:

CURTIS SPORT BRUMMIES: Nick Morris, Alfie Bowtell, James Wright R/R, Stefan Nielsen, Justin Sedgmen, Ty Proctor, James Pearson.
COVENTRY ‘NORTHEAST DEMOLITION UK LTD’ BEES SELECT: Chris Harris, Dan Thompson Connor Mountain, Adam Roynon, Danny King, Joe Thompson, Freddy Hodder.

In the spirit of finding fault with this fixture....
When did Coventry move to the the northeast.
And who thought the word "demolition" was in good taste in the Coventry team name, given the sword of Damocles hanging over our stadium?

And just in case anyone thinks I'm being serious, you clearly don't know me. :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Brummies_Ste said:

CURTIS SPORT BRUMMIES: Nick Morris, Alfie Bowtell, James Wright R/R, Stefan Nielsen, Justin Sedgmen, Ty Proctor, James Pearson.
COVENTRY ‘NORTHEAST DEMOLITION UK LTD’ BEES SELECT: Chris Harris, Dan Thompson Connor Mountain, Adam Roynon, Danny King, Joe Thompson, Freddy Hodder.

Why no James Wright?

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Why no James Wright?

I read this on the Birmingham Speedway website...

"The Curtis Sport Brummies will take to the track without winter signing James Wright though, who crashed during his own season opener at Plymouth last week and is ruled out with shoulder damage."

And to their credit...

“As it’s a Challenge, we’ve decided to run Rider Replacement for Wrighty and give the other Brummies some extra track time and laps.”

On 4/10/2023 at 9:38 PM, uk_martin said:

For someone who was the once the webmaster for Birmingham, why is it your so negative about the club these days, Martin? 

1 hour ago, The H Man said:

For someone who was the once the webmaster for Birmingham, why is it your so negative about the club these days, Martin? 

Don't take it personally, it's the sport in general that's run in a way that stuck in a bygone era that I'm losing interest in. You'll have seen that in the way that I wrote that comment. I ought to be one of the oldest people in the stadium when I visit a sporting event, and yet at any speedway meeting in Britain, I'm usually in the youngest 10-20%. That should never be right. And sadly, I see little or no effort being made to change that. 

That said, and as you raised the web site for no apparent reason, the fact that the Brummies now have as a partner, the very person who flicked the switch to shut down the Brummnies web site from his position in the commentary box, on instructions of the sport's establishment, on the day of the play-off's final, is the sort of irony that you couldn't make up. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Don't take it personally, it's the sport in general that's run in a way that stuck in a bygone era that I'm losing interest in. You'll have seen that in the way that I wrote that comment. I ought to be one of the oldest people in the stadium when I visit a sporting event, and yet at any speedway meeting in Britain, I'm usually in the youngest 10-20%. That should never be right. And sadly, I see little or no effort being made to change that. 

That said, and as you raised the web site for no apparent reason, the fact that the Brummies now have as a partner, the very person who flicked the switch to shut down the Brummnies web site from his position in the commentary box, on instructions of the sport's establishment, on the day of the play-off's final, is the sort of irony that you couldn't make up. 

Thanks for clarifying one of my fellow Directors mentioned you used to be the webmaster so that's the reason I asked!

I think like most speedway clubs Brummies are very aware of an ageing fanbase, hence the fact we are trying to address that by reaching out to schools, clubs etc as well advertising in various outlets to promote a family friendly sport.   

56 minutes ago, The H Man said:

Thanks for clarifying one of my fellow Directors mentioned you used to be the webmaster so that's the reason I asked!

I think like most speedway clubs Brummies are very aware of an ageing fanbase, hence the fact we are trying to address that by reaching out to schools, clubs etc as well advertising in various outlets to promote a family friendly sport.   

...because 'the family friendly sport' message has worked so so effectively over the years?!:rolleyes:

• Like 2