British Speedway Forum

Oxford v Poole 5/4/23 BSN Series

First of all well done to the Oxford promotion on getting this meeting on. With the very bad forecast it would not have been a surprise for this to have been called off this morning. Travelling up in intermittent rain and with the rain radar showing it due to hit just after the meeting started, racing got away at 7.30 prompt and was run through at a good pace with very little delay. All finished and away well before 9pm. Rain did arrive by heat 8 but wasn’t heavy and only once was there any track work done as race times became 3 seconds slower than the opening heat.

Pirates really always had the upper hand and it showed that strength in depth is better than a very top heavy team relying on their top 4-5 banging in good scores. Poole scored throughout, even with a couple of the riders having far from great performances. 

Onto Friday and have to say I fancy our chances of another win and aggregate point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Still have a rider not contributing  if he doesn’t improve,which isn’t ideal.

Roynon would have had paid 5 if he hadn't fallen in heat 2. That would be a pretty decent contribution from the weaker reserve away from home.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Roynon would have had paid 5 if he hadn't fallen in heat 2. That would be a pretty decent contribution from the weaker reserve away from home.

Which could have then been paid 3 if Killeen didn't get an ef in heat 4!

Regardless one dissapointing match doesn't mean he's in for a bad season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

It's kind of a trait of his though....

14 minutes ago, StevePark said:

It's kind of a trait of his though....

He wasn't the only one though and Kyle said the track felt a bit icy at the start of the meeting.

I would let riders have a home meeting first before writing them off unless it's KK! :D

Edited by lisa-colette

It was pretty much business as usual for Pirates who were far from firing on all cylinders. Worrall and Lawson were below par. The Cooks continued on from last season and will only get better. Rowe unsurprisingly had a poor first ride from gate two in heat one but did his job. Kyle was excellent and will get lots of rides while at reserve until the first GS. Roynon was on a 5-1 in heat two but slid off when we’ll clear of the Oxford reserves.

For Oxford, Masters looked untouchable until it started to rain and then didn’t want to know. Nicholls was brilliant all night. Heeps did his usual start the season well meeting. Jenkins was woeful but is better than that. Killeen was unlucky when on a 5-1 having an ef then in another ride sliding off when challenging Steve Worrall.

Pirates will be at the top end of the league, there’s little doubt. 

A good crowd last night, and when you consider the forecast and many crying off what it could have been. Think Oxford are in for another successful season crowd wise. Yes there were a lot of Poole fans there swelling it, but good anyway.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pirates will be at the top end of the league, there’s little doubt.

I think they'll be near the top and will surely be in contention come the playoffs, but saying there's 'little doubt' they will be top is comical.

39 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A good crowd last night, and when you consider the forecast and many crying off what it could have been. Think Oxford are in for another successful season crowd wise. Yes there were a lot of Poole fans there swelling it, but good anyway.

I hardly saw any Pirates fans there, just a small pocket on the third bend. Can't say I blame them staying away giving the weather forecast, mind. Think it probably kept a few Oxford fans away as well.

11 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

I think they'll be near the top and will surely be in contention come the playoffs, but saying there's 'little doubt' they will be top is comical.

I hardly saw any Pirates fans there, just a small pocket on the third bend. Can't say I blame them staying away giving the weather forecast, mind. Think it probably kept a few Oxford fans away as well.

I never said Poole will be top. I said at the top end.

The small pocket numbered over 100 and there were plenty more scattered around the rest of the stadium. Certainly a lot were kept away but as always with Poole there’s a good away following

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The small pocket numbered over 100 and there were plenty more scattered around the rest of the stadium. Certainly a lot were kept away but as always with Poole there’s a good away following

Apologies, you did. And they will be, I take it back.

You must have been seeing double!

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Agreed , very good considering the pre season concerns of some

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

When i was in the queue just after 7 a coach pulled up in sandy lane, i don't know if they were Poole fans, but if so to get a coachful of fans to an away match nowadays is pretty unusual, except for our friends in the frozen north who always seem to rally the troops for an awayday. 

8 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

When i was in the queue just after 7 a coach pulled up in sandy lane, i don't know if they were Poole fans, but if so to get a coachful of fans to an away match nowadays is pretty unusual, except for our friends in the frozen north who always seem to rally the troops for an awayday. 

I could be wrong, but think this was the Unipart shuttle bus. I think it drops off and picks up at Sandy Lane now, due to access issues into Ashville Way last season.