British Speedway Forum

British Wildcards for Cardiff

Well Middlo will be making up his mind very soon, so who do you think deserves the two wild card places at the British GP?

It looks like it's going to be a no win call for Middlo, as whoever he chooses will not go down well incertain quarters.

Does he go for youth, and watch as they go out after two rides a quarter of a lap behind the rest, or for experience who should do better but will stop the youngsters getting a taste?

Personally I think he should go for the best British riders available, regardless of age. If they are the best at the time they should get the nod. If a youngster misses out, rather than cry foul, it should gee them up and make them all the more determined to get a place on merit the following year.

My choices would be Norris and Screen. Both are riding better this year than for a couple of seasons, and could certianly cause a stir at Cardiff.

Why no Howe, Neath, Barker, Havvy?

David Howe has stagnated and done nothing this year to warrant an inclusion. His injuries may have held him back but I am begining to think the guy will go no further than a second string/third heat leader.

Neath has improved this year but is still nowhere near good enough away from Monmore. Once in the team proper he will not be the same scoring machine. Personally I think he has been overrated this year but that's my opinion and most others will disagree.

Barker has changed tracks and this obviously this has affected his form. Still a good bet for the WTC though.

Havelock almost deserves a place. He has started this year very well but I think he already knows he is not going to get the nod because he is working for Sky that day.

So what do others think?

Edited by Steve Shovlar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very tough decision this. It seems that the wildcards are going to go to the younger guys this season, for example you would have thought PK would have been a certainty for his home GP.

As for the Cardiff wildcards ;)

Norris has started the season well and has a good average but eastbourne have only ridden 4 Elite league meetings and 3 of those were at home, so how good Norris actually is this season is still open to debate.

Howe has had a difficult start to the season with changing engines which he couldnt get to work. Now he has swapped back to last seasons equipment and is improving every week. Cardiff though may be too soon for him.

Barker, no has never done it and never will do.

Screen , as above.

Havelock i feel has had his day at the top.

Harris, has done nothing this season at all to warrant a call up, although riding for Coventry in their current plight can't have done any favours for his confidence.

Neath, I agree it is probably too soon for Chris to enter the big stage.However he has the desire and confidence at the moment and I see no-one better around at the moment.

Stonehewer, on fire in the PL and could be an outside choice.

So out of the riders in contention I would pick on current form David Norris and Chris Neath.

I would definitely go for Norris, the bloke is looking so much more focussed and determined this year. It’s as though the whole World Cup experience has made him grow up a bit as a Speedway rider.

After that you could choose the next most experienced Brits doing reasonably well in Havvy, Barker, Screen or even Louis or do you give it to the youngsters coming through in Neath, Bird (does anyone ever remember him when having these discussions, holding down an 8 point average in the team proper?????), Harris or Howe.

I would probably agree with Steve and have Screen for sheer entertainment value IF he is still showing form at that time as I don’t think any of the others are ready to make it past two heats.

Pete

I suppose i will get the "rose tinted specs" comments, but Stuart Robson has done nothing wrong this year, and is riding very well, currently providing back up to Andreas.

I would also like to David Norris given a shot, someone who could pop out in front at Cardiff and beat a few big names.

Screeny is another who has come back with a good start, however this recent arm injury could have an affect in the next couple of months.

Howe isnt really doing anything at the moment, and has already tasted Cardiff, whereas Neath I dont believe warrants a place, even if he is scoring freely.

Deano again hasnt set any trees alight at Arena, but is another who could surprise, and a mention as well for Chris Louis, who I am sure would relish just one more go.

I suppose i will get the "rose tinted specs" comments, but Stuart Robson has done nothing wrong this year, and is riding very well, currently providing back up to Andreas.

Fair comment, nothing rose tinted about Robbo's performances this season.

It would be wrong if Danny Bird didn't get a wild card. He's must be one of the best British riders on current form and as a young rider would gain much from the experience.

Yes I agree 100% for me he is by far the best up and coming Brit this season. Neath has done well, but not in the same class imo.

Guest Sullivan Nxt Champ

Got to be Havelock and Norris simply for the comments that the pair of them would come up with. No holes barred with those two.

Danny has been the model of consistency SO FAR this year. He has looked very good amongst good opposition this year at number two and is not picking up easy points from reserve. Everyone has tracks they don’t like and you think anyone outside Sussex is ‘pants’ anyway B) . I certainly think if Danny can keep up the form fro the month of May he deserves consideration.

As for the opinion of non-UK Wildcards, can you imagine the Polish GP with non Poles as Wildcards? As for David Ruud as a Wildcard? Funny stuff I like it. How about Carl Baldwin aswell :blink:

The only sensible argument for a non-UK wildcard is Sam Ermelenko but that could be at any GP not just the British GP.

Pete

I would go for one 'old stager' and one up and coming rider. On current form I would give the two wild cards to Joe Screen and Danny Bird.

Think that's a fair idea although I'd probably put Norris in there instead of Screenie. He seems like a totally different rider so far this year - I still wonder what might have been if he'd been this determined and focussed about 5 years ago. But on the other hand I've not seen Joe ride so far this season although he seems to have had a resurgence of form similar to Floppy.

Danny Bird - I'd go along with that, probably a close call between him and Chris Neath at the moment.

I didnt mention Danny Bird i my list as whenever he has ridden at Monmore he has looked very ordinary as he did when Wolves visited Foxhall a couple of weeks ago.

Danny rode quite well against Wolves, one of only two Witches riders that did. As for Monmore it's a pity he wasn't riding for us when we met at your gaff on 12/04 but he rides for Reading on a Monday night. I think riding for Reading has certainly helped Danny's ability, he rides Foxhall well and he should improve at most tight circuits this season.

His gating get's him most points but he has picked off riders with ease this year who last year you would have expectyed to beat him relatively easily. I'm a big fan but Cardiff may be a step too far this year.

but...................

For a bloke who is averaging 8.63 at home and 7.00 away he can't be doing badly can he?

Pete

The times I have seen Bird ride he has been PANTS.

I think the highest score I have seen him get in about 8 meetings is 4 points

An 8pt EL average this season riding at second string would suggest he's not pants! :blink:

Compares very nicely to the (soon to be deposed) World Champion who has only managed an 8.42 average so far this season.

Personally it has got to be Dave Norris and Danny Bird, being the 2nd and 6th highest British riders in the averages:

10.14 Mark Loram

9.78 David Norris

9.02 Scott Nicholls

8.73 James Grieves

8.13 Gary Havelock

8.00 Danny Bird

then again hasn't Danny been overlooked for the world championship events this year??

cya

Karl

Following the current trend , I would imagine that it will be young guns rather than old hands.

Perhaps David Howe , Chris Neath are two that spring to mind. Chris Harris seems to be struggling that takes him out of the equation. However with the qualifiers this weekend a good perfomance from Norris or Robson could push them into the reckoning.