British Speedway Forum

List of Speedway promoters past & present.

3 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Perhaps you can explain how anyone can sell a company that he doesn't own? No one person can be accused of selling the stadium it would have to have been a majority vote  by all concerned. That's how compies are run.

Ok have it your way but I bet he never voted against it so sold leicester fans down the river

30 minutes ago, Toady said:

Ochiltree owned part of midland sports so collectively with others sold Leicester down the river is that better

Martin Rogers (Promoter of Leicester at the time) gave a very interesting insight in "Backtrack" as regards the ultimate demise of Blackbird  Road...he was less than complimentary towards Midland Sports (and Charles Ochiltree in particular).

Edited by steve roberts

Regarding the majority shareholding in Midland Sports Limited, I posted most of the following information in a similar thread about six years ago. 

In 1924 Allan (often named as Alan) Sanderson, a London based businessman (owner of London Lubricants) and racing driver, purchased the house and 200 acres of land at Selsdon Park in Surrey for £13,000.  In 1925 the house was converted to a luxury hotel, operated by Allan and his wife Hilda until 1960, when their son Basil took over the running of the hotel and a golf course which had been added in 1929.  The hotel was sold by the Sanderson family to Principal Hotels in 1997.

Allan Sanderson formed Midland Sports Limited in October 1936. Initially the shareholders are believed to have been Allan and his wife, although various family members and members of the Ochiltree family were involved in later years.  A mortgage was taken out in 1937 and this may well have been to fund the purchase of Brandon Stadium.  Allan Sanderson died in 1968, following which Charles Ochiltree, as Managing Director, took the lead role in running Brandon Stadium.  Other members of the Sanderson family continued as directors of the company and were almost certainly majority shareholders.

Midland Sports Limited appears to have been restructured in 1992, becoming Midland Sports Stadiums Limited, with shareholders comprising Basil Allan Sanderson (until 1996), Mrs Shelagh Sanderson (until 1997), Charles Ochiltree (until 1998), William Peter Gilmour (until 2002), Mrs Linda Ochiltree and Martin Ochiltree.  Allan Mark David Norton Sanderson was also a shareholder from 1996 to 2002. From 2002 onwards the sole remaining shareholders appear to have been Linda and Martin Ochiltree.

Just after the war Allan and Hilda Sanderson acquired Lythalls Lane Stadium in Foleshill, Coventry, from Coventry Greyhounds Limited, the company which had built the stadium for greyhounds and speedway in 1928.  The running of the stadium continued under the name of Midland Speedways Limited from 1950 and after greyhound racing became less profitable it was sold by the company for redevelopment at the end of 1964.  When Allan and Hilda Sanderson purchased Leicester Stadium, Blackbird Road, in 1950 the track became part of Midland Sports Limited. Charles Ochiltree took a minority shareholding in the company and had a role as General Manager of Midland Sports Limited.  Hilda Sanderson was the owner of several greyhounds over the years, based at Lythalls Lane and Blackbird Road.  

Barratt Homes made an offer for Leicester Stadium in 1978, but this was not accepted. However, greyhound racing was staged at Brandon from September 1978 and this suggests that the venue was seen as a replacement for Blackbird Road, which was an established greyhound track.  It was important to the Sanderson family at that time that a greyhound  venue should continue to be available.  Midland Sports then finally accepted a bid from Barratt Homes, with the sale completed in 1984.  The Sanderson family would have been the major shareholders at that time.  Regarding Coventry and Leicester speedway, I am sure that Charles Ochiltree would have regretted the loss of the Leicester track when considering the crowds attracted to local derbies between the teams.

When Allan Sanderson was granted a licence to operate at West Ham in 1952 a deal had to be agreed with the stadium owners.  With the National League struggling for teams in 1964 Midland Sports Limited was involved in reviving West Ham.  Reg Fearman states in his book Both Sides of the Fence that in 1950 the stadium continued to be owned by the Greyhound Racing Association.  I understand that the GRA still operated at Custom House until the stadium was closed for redevelopment and probably continued to be the owners up to that point.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Regarding the majority shareholding in Midland Sports Limited, I posted most of the following information in a similar thread about six years ago. 

In 1924 Allan (often named as Alan) Sanderson, a London based businessman (owner of London Lubricants) and racing driver, purchased the house and 200 acres of land at Selsdon Park in Surrey for £13,000.  In 1925 the house was converted to a luxury hotel, operated by Allan and his wife Hilda until 1960, when their son Basil took over the running of the hotel and a golf course which had been added in 1929.  The hotel was sold by the Sanderson family to Principal Hotels in 1997.

Allan Sanderson formed Midland Sports Limited in October 1936. Initially the shareholders are believed to have been Allan and his wife, although various family members and members of the Ochiltree family were involved in later years.  A mortgage was taken out in 1937 and this may well have been to fund the purchase of Brandon Stadium.  Allan Sanderson died in 1968, following which Charles Ochiltree, as Managing Director, took the lead role in running Brandon Stadium.  Other members of the Sanderson family continued as directors of the company and were almost certainly majority shareholders.

Midland Sports Limited appears to have been restructured in 1992, becoming Midland Sports Stadiums Limited, with shareholders comprising Basil Allan Sanderson (until 1996), Mrs Shelagh Sanderson (until 1997), Charles Ochiltree (until 1998), William Peter Gilmour (until 2002), Mrs Linda Ochiltree and Martin Ochiltree.  Allan Mark David Norton Sanderson was also a shareholder from 1996 to 2002. From 2002 onwards the sole remaining shareholders appear to have been Linda and Martin Ochiltree.

Just after the war Allan and Hilda Sanderson acquired Lythalls Lane Stadium in Foleshill, Coventry, from Coventry Greyhounds Limited, the company which had built the stadium for greyhounds and speedway in 1928.  The running of the stadium continued under the name of Midland Speedways Limited from 1950 and after greyhound racing became less profitable it was sold by the company for redevelopment at the end of 1964.  When Allan and Hilda Sanderson purchased Leicester Stadium, Blackbird Road, in 1950 the track became part of Midland Sports Limited. Charles Ochiltree took a minority shareholding in the company and had a role as General Manager of Midland Sports Limited.  Hilda Sanderson was the owner of several greyhounds over the years, based at Lythalls Lane and Blackbird Road.  

Barratt Homes made an offer for Leicester Stadium in 1978, but this was not accepted. However, greyhound racing was staged at Brandon from September 1978 and this suggests that the venue was seen as a replacement for Blackbird Road, which was an established greyhound track.  It was important to the Sanderson family at that time that a greyhound  venue should continue to be available.  Midland Sports then finally accepted a bid from Barratt Homes, with the sale completed in 1984.  The Sanderson family would have been the major shareholders at that time.  Regarding Coventry and Leicester speedway, I am sure that Charles Ochiltree would have regretted the loss of the Leicester track when considering the crowds attracted to local derbies between the teams.

When Allan Sanderson was granted a licence to operate at West Ham in 1952 a deal had to be agreed with the stadium owners.  With the National League struggling for teams in 1964 Midland Sports Limited was involved in reviving West Ham.  Reg Fearman states in his book Both Sides of the Fence that in 1950 the stadium continued to be owned by the Greyhound Racing Association.  I understand that the GRA still operated at Custom House until the stadium was closed for redevelopment and probably continued to be the owners up to that point.

A very comprehensive breakdown as I said Ochiltree was a shareholder and also general manager of midland sports and they sold Leicester down the river

Of course the greatest Promoter of all time was Johnnie Hoskins...the father of speedway. Too many tracks to mention but he finished his days promoting at Canterbury when Wally Mawdsley later joined forces. Wally promoted at some of the more unconventional, shall we say, tracks...Newport, Romford, Exeter, Bristol and Rochester (?) before he took over at the more conventional Swindon.

Edited by steve roberts

On 3/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Toady said:

A very comprehensive breakdown as I said Ochiltree was a shareholder and also general manager of midland sports and they sold Leicester down the river

You omit the word ‘minority’, of course. ‘They’, the company, sold the Blackbird Road site. No river was ever involved.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Toady said:

Obviously not comprehensive enough , as you've still failed to understand , I notice that you have changed tack now & it's now "they " sold Leicester & not C O.:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Of course the greatest Promoter of all time was Johnnie Hoskins...the father of speedway. Too many tracks to mention but he finished his days promoting at Canterbury when Wally Mawdsley later joined forces. Wally promoted at some of the more unconventional, shall we say, tracks...Newport, Romford, Exeter, Bristol and Rochester (?) before he took over at the more conventional Swindon.

Certainly the greatest self-promoter of all time, and while undoubtedly one of the most important in the sport's history there are others.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Obviously not comprehensive enough , as you've still failed to understand , I notice that you have changed tack now & it's now "they " sold Leicester & not C O.:lol:

I am in no way trying to justify what happened, but did the decision to sell happen some time after that terrible fire at Bradford? Football, and wooden stands (like Leicester's) were then deemed unsafe.

6 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Certainly the greatest self-promoter of all time, and while undoubtedly one of the most important in the sport's history there are others.

Agree with the first part. He probably was also a great promoter back in the early days. By the time i got to visit one f his tracks, i guess his peak period was in the past. So hard to really tell how great he was

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I am in no way trying to justify what happened, but did the decision to sell happen some time after that terrible fire at Bradford? Football, and wooden stands (like Leicester's) were then deemed unsafe.

I think the Bradford fire was 1985 ,so later than the sale of Blackbird Rd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

I think the Bradford fire was 1985 ,so later than the sale of Blackbird Rd.

...and of course Hyde Road (1988) went the same way with its largely wooden stands.

27 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Certainly his book "Walkabout" is well worth a read...lots of anecdotes and his obvious devotion to the sport.

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and of course Hyde Road (1988) went the same way with its largely wooden stands.

Ah yes Hyde Rd , so many memories. The BLRC was always around the date of our son's birthday so each year it was a family day out , firstly the Zoo, then off to the speedway which was always a great atmosphere & when that finished the rest of the evening at the funfair along with many other supporters .Great times .:)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Ah yes Hyde Rd , so many memories. The BLRC was always around the date of our son's birthday so each year it was a family day out , firstly the Zoo, then off to the speedway which was always a great atmosphere & when that finished the rest of the evening at the funfair along with many other supporters .Great times .:)

My first visit to Hyde Road was in 1985 and unfortunately the zoo and funfair had gone by then. My last visit was in 1987 and the stadium was looking somewhat sorry for itself by then but no questioning the standard of racing.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

My first visit to Hyde Road was in 1985 and unfortunately te zoo and funfair had gone by thenh. My last visit was in 1987 and the stadium was looking somewhat sorry for itself by then but no questioning the standard of racing.

One of the very few benefits of being an"oldie" for me.:lol:

• Haha 1