British Speedway Forum

Phil Morris appointed Premiership CEO

Hugely positive step forward. A long time coming mind! Hopefully will eradicate at best the bending of the rules, and at worst blatant cheating..

simplifying the rule book is something that’s been needed for some time, no grey areas, just black and white so everybody can fully understand them. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

Where does this leave Rob Godfreys role as BSPL chairman?  Does Morris have authority over him, or does he still need to report to the promoters?

Still a few questions that need answers before we start the back slapping I think.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FromBendThree said:

Didn’t see that coming, great decision by PL. feels like a chasm opening up between Premiership and Championship. The CL looks and feels very much like Div 2. I know why Poole run in CL but surely their fans must be wishing they were in top league now.

You’re right, and exactly as it should be. The only reason they originally tried to bring the leagues closer together was to introduce promotion/relegation which let’s be honest, was never going to work. 

• Like 3

A much needed step in the right direction and an ideal choice for the appointment at this time IMO

Let's hope that all involved emmbrace the move and that we don't see Phil undermined or hampered when something doesn't go the way desired for certain quarters 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Didn’t see that coming, great decision by PL. feels like a chasm opening up between Premiership and Championship. The CL looks and feels very much like Div 2. I know why Poole run in CL but surely their fans must be wishing they were in top league now.

I don't mind either league tbh. 

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

An encouraging move. However it will be a challenging role for Phil given how many problems the sport has.

So what do the Championship promoters do now?

Do what Poole say? :o;):P

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, ch958 said:

The big question is 'how much authority will he have?' What happens when someone says 'its my business, I'll run it my way'

This is going to be the big test.  Phil always comes across as somebody who doesn't suffer fools gladly.  If he decides something needs changing and the promoters all close ranks again he won't stay in the job long.

It's a a role so many of us have called for over a long period of time, but it will only work if everyone buys into it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ch958 said:

The big question is 'how much authority will he have?' What happens when someone says 'its my business, I'll run it my way'

If he has any sense he will have signed a contract with at least three years on it, if not it could be a short appointment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every action has a reaction and an end aim.

IMHO this is step 1 on the road to the PL breaking away from BSPL (but still aligning to SCB and therefore ACU) to create a separate entity to optimise TV money and Commercial opportunities and to do effectively what PL has done in soccer, and in similar way to the way Cricket is also redefining on Franchise type basis.

I think they will want an 8 Team League (more riders coming in from Poland will help that) and possibly ultimately 9 or 10.

Poole and Glasgow are the obvious targets.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, midlandred said:

Who gives a toss about SGP?

Me. But not you. 

Someone has just pointed out to me that he is continuing with his GP job anyway whilst doing the PL job in his days off.

So we can both be reassured that he gives a toss about both, equally.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Haha 1