British Speedway Forum

Lowering of Tapes

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Noticed in Poland this season the lowering of the height of the bottom tape from 53 cm to 30 cm on a FIM recommendation to produce fairer starts.Will this be the the case in GB and other Countries.?

They (Poland) have also said there won’t be exclusions anymore for ‘ micro movement ‘

• Like 1

Not heard about any other countries following suit, but will defo be interesting to see how it works in reality.  As for the 'micro movement' ruling.....this is a very good move.  There were a few Extraleague meetings last year that had farcical stoppages based on this, and you could see no advantage was gained when watching the replays.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wardey said:

Not heard about any other countries following suit, but will defo be interesting to see how it works in reality.  As for the 'micro movement' ruling.....this is a very good move.  There were a few Extraleague meetings last year that had farcical stoppages based on this, and you could see no advantage was gained when watching the replays.

I also see that the starts are going to be computer controlled.Seemingly it was tested in lower leagues in Poland last season.It would be strange for the riders to have different tape  settings in different Countries.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I also see that the starts are going to be computer controlled.Seemingly it was tested in lower leagues in Poland last season.It would be strange for the riders to have different tape  settings in different Countries.

No wonder James Sargeant decided to pack it in!!:t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Noticed in Poland this season the lowering of the height of the bottom tape from 53 cm to 30 cm on a FIM recommendation to produce fairer starts.Will this be the the case in GB and other Countries.?

This was actually proposed by one of the former Referees a few years ago, but nothing came of it.

I've noticed in the past where at some tracks, although the tapes are level (horizontal), they sit well above the height of the wheel spindle on the I/S gates due to a camber in the track.