British Speedway Forum

Plymouth last signing

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep Gary Allan or Mark Thorpe. Both very accomplished on their day.

Be interesting to see how this fella gets on.

Both great riders. Gary Allen was a great servant for Poole before moving to Swindon. That crash he had nearly took him. NHS at Poole certainly saved his life.

Really liked Mark Thorpe as a rider.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Ok fair enough but he only got one point in the Australian meeting at Gilman in December so he doesn't sound too promising. He may ok who knows but Pearson at Birmingham would seem the better prospect. 

You definitely done more research than me! But I think I'll wait til at least one meeting over here before I decide. 

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You definitely done more research than me! But I think I'll wait til at least one meeting over here before I decide. 

He’s got to be given more than one meeting Lisa. Needs a few months. Everything will be new for him and he will need plenty of time to settle in. 

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

He’s got to be given more than one meeting Lisa. Needs a few months. Everything will be new for him and he will need plenty of time to settle in. 

The one meeting is just for me to make an judgement. ;) But I did say at least one. Probably see how good he is at Poole. Has to be better than Keheller surely? 

Edited by lisa-colette

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It’s a very strange signing. Has nothing to show the reason why Plymouth would want to sign him. Keleher is a much more accomplished rider than Turner, and he didn’t make the grade either. Looks like Turner fitted the remit and is willing to come. A shame there aren’t better him grown prospects to fill the spot.

There is better home grown prospects but they've got too high an average. Really need a higher reduction for young British talent to stop them being forced out of the Championship.

In Plymouth's case those promising young riders wouldn't have been an option, even with a greater average reduction, as they have signed up for the Polish under 24 league. 

• Like 1

Looking at what results I can find on him it looks like a poor signing and probably makes Plymouth the weakest at reserve in the division. Hope I'm wrong and this lad hits the ground running but given the track record of others who have come over with better form than him I'd say Plymouth will need 45 points from their top 5 to win matches this season.

44 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

There is better home grown prospects but they've got too high an average. Really need a higher reduction for young British talent to stop them being forced out of the Championship.

In Plymouth's case those promising young riders wouldn't have been an option, even with a greater average reduction, as they have signed up for the Polish under 24 league. 

With most CL matches now on Wednesday and Friday and only Berwick on  a Saturday now and so many young Brits in Poland on a Tuesday, I wonder if Plymouth might consider a switch to  Saturdays. 

With compacted League season they could avoid clashing with Plymouth football most of the season or dovetail with it on occasions. 

Could be far more enticing for kids and families and day trippers on a Saturday too. 

4 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Looking at what results I can find on him it looks like a poor signing and probably makes Plymouth the weakest at reserve in the division. Hope I'm wrong and this lad hits the ground running but given the track record of others who have come over with better form than him I'd say Plymouth will need 45 points from their top 5 to win matches this season.

Are you sure you dont mean 46 points mr negative .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonnybegood said:

Need to ask Danny ford about that one.  Leaving their own asset on the bench . Poor imo.

He was in the 1-7 until the team-building points limit was reduced to 40 from the previously agreed 42 points!!  Danny is still using 4 of his own assets! How many Plymouth assets are in the Gladiators 1-7?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1