British Speedway Forum

Nora Speedway

7 hours ago, skydog said:

Bottom line is we were told that to run in MSDL we had to prove we were actively looking for a new home (we were, and sent emails to prove it). This was regardless of whether we were giving any money to the riders or not, so that is clearly not the difference. And no, I'm not asking these questions because we want to enter a team - the BSPL have severely dented our enthusiasm - I'm asking to see if there is indeed a difference between how we were treated and how others are being treated. I'd say it's a fair question.

Don't think you were treated any differently. Difference is this is totally amateur and not run in conjunction the scb/Bspl meetings like mdsl meetings are.

38 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Don't think you were treated any differently. Difference is this is totally amateur and not run in conjunction the scb/Bspl meetings like mdsl meetings are.

I think that sums it up perfectly  but what about sorting a Reading team out for a challenge match

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Ok, are these amateur events being run under Nora? If so I get it. Then we're back to Scunthorpe being allowed to run Nora but not Plymouth, which is where this all started I think!

13 hours ago, skydog said:

Ok, are these amateur events being run under Nora? If so I get it. Then we're back to Scunthorpe being allowed to run Nora but not Plymouth, which is where this all started I think!

No idea under what guise they are run why not ask Richard instead of going round in circles on here making assumptions to suit your way of thinking . Getting the answer from the man is always a step in the right direction 

6 hours ago, skydog said:

Pardon me for thinking that a club that runs under the BSPL and SCB was running an amateur meeting under that particular umbrella. 

If they were Nora events , Nora would provide their own staff, medics and Insurance but that is not the case for the ‘ British Amateur League ‘ as these events are called and Yes, they include Hull and Boston in their 4 team tournaments. AMSA and Redcar have also taken part in the recent past so it can be assumed that Richard ( a top guy by the way ) runs the events under the standard SCB permits, which is the norm at tracks who run amateur events and practices.

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

If they were Nora events , Nora would provide their own staff, medics and Insurance but that is not the case for the ‘ British Amateur League ‘ as these events are called and Yes, they include Hull and Boston in their 4 team tournaments. AMSA and Redcar have also taken part in the recent past so it can be assumed that Richard ( a top guy by the way ) runs the events under the standard SCB permits, which is the norm at tracks who run amateur events and practices.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Not knocking Richard in any way and am sure he does a stirling job. Just interested in who runs these and under whose rules, what with all the talk about Nora. Thanks again. 

4 hours ago, skydog said:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Not knocking Richard in any way and am sure he does a stirling job. Just interested in who runs these and under whose rules, what with all the talk about Nora. Thanks again. 

That's sorted now get that management team together and put a team out I am sure there is riders in the North will help

• 1 year later...

Is this Nora thing... still a thing? I noticed IoW were riding the other night and there were a few riders who compete in the NDL.

I didn't think riders could ride in both? I know promoters can't or even lease their facilities out. Which also raises the question could the likes of Steve Boxhall, Lee Complin, Richie Worrall ride in Nora? Isn't it their SCB licences that have been suspended? Do SCB have jurisdiction over Nora? They could even give Covatti & Musielak a run out lol

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Is this Nora thing... still a thing? I noticed IoW were riding the other night and there were a few riders who compete in the NDL.

I didn't think riders could ride in both? I know promoters can't or even lease their facilities out. Which also raises the question could the likes of Steve Boxhall, Lee Complin, Richie Worrall ride in Nora? Isn't it their SCB licences that have been suspended? Do SCB have jurisdiction over Nora? They could even give Covatti & Musielak a run out lol

Gordon Pairman in last weeks SS did a very informative Q and A, and suggested all the legal threats were basically not worth the words...

And bemoaned the fact that instead of allowing the IOW and others to possibly develop riders, the BSP did their utmost to try and stop them..

But, to be fair, he always seemed to come across as someone with common sense...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Gordon Pairman in last weeks SS did a very informative Q and A, and suggested all the legal threats were basically not worth the words...

And bemoaned the fact that instead of allowing the IOW and others to possibly develop riders, the BSP did their utmost to try and stop them..

But, to be fair, he always seemed to come across as someone with common sense...

I can well believe that, BSPL just using bully boy tactics... meanwhile BSPL have pretty much destroyed the NDL

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, iainb said:

Warriors summer season started with NORA showing it’s alive and producing value for money entertainment.

IOW 53  Arran Butcher 9+1, Sonny Springer 13+2, Dayle Wood 9+2, Henning Loof 6, Ben Morley 14, Morgan Williams 2+1. Wood and Morley were deputising for Wirtzfeld and Clouting respectively.

Cradley 37 Matt Marson 6+1, James Laker 5+1, Luke Harris 7+1, Danno Verge 6+1, Tom Spencer 11, Josh Couzins 2+1.

Edited by Rob Dyer
Typo

9 hours ago, Rob Dyer said:

Warriors summer season started with NORA showing it’s alive and producing value for money entertainment.

IOW 53  Arran Butcher 9+1, Sonny Springer 13+2, Doyle Wood 9+2, Henning Loof 6, Ben Morley 14, Morgan Williams 2+1. Wood and Morley were deputising for Wirtzfeld and Clouting respectively.

Cradley 37 Matt Marson 6+1, James Laker 5+1, Luke Harris 7+1, Danno Verge 6+1, Tom Spencer 11, Josh Couzins 2+1.

But  Matt Marson, Doyle Wood, Arran Butcher & Sonny Springer are all competing in the NDL, presumably with SCB licences?

On 6/30/2024 at 8:57 AM, iainb said:

But  Matt Marson, Doyle Wood, Arran Butcher & Sonny Springer are all competing in the NDL, presumably with SCB licences?

A few clubs over the past couple of seasons have asked riders not to compete in Nora and a few riders have told the clubs to poke it (not saying any of the competitors that took place in the latest meeting were in that situation), there have also been clubs who were fully behind their riders getting extra laps in and keeping sharp.

I think the backlash against the BSPL/SCB would be far too large if they were to try and impose sanctions on any rider competing under another banner.

IOW in association with NORA are trying something innovative and different which is scary to the established order, it is also very much a work in progress and often a product that works better on the big open spaces of the smallbrook circuit than may suit other mainland venues. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

A few clubs over the past couple of seasons have asked riders not to compete in Nora and a few riders have told the clubs to poke it (not saying any of the competitors that took place in the latest meeting were in that situation), there have also been clubs who were fully behind their riders getting extra laps in and keeping sharp.

I think the backlash against the BSPL/SCB would be far too large if they were to try and impose sanctions on any rider competing under another banner.

IOW in association with NORA are trying something innovative and different which is scary to the established order, it is also very much a work in progress and often a product that works better on the big open spaces of the smallbrook circuit than may suit other mainland venues. 

And of course, traditional league speedway is a runaway success, with more and more clubs wanting to open. Sorry to be cynical. :neutral:

12 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

And of course, traditional league speedway is a runaway success, with more and more clubs wanting to open. Sorry to be cynical. :neutral:

i 1000% agree with you. League Speedway offers very little in terms of credibility and in fact often only serves to generate animosity between fan groups who both adore the same sport.

IOW are pushing boundaries and building something that actually looks to be a sustainable product (something few others could argue about league speedway) and the US style handicap meeting taking place this week is at the top end of Warriors entertainment.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2024 at 8:50 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

i 1000% agree with you. League Speedway offers very little in terms of credibility and in fact often only serves to generate animosity between fan groups who both adore the same sport.

IOW are pushing boundaries and building something that actually looks to be a sustainable product (something few others could argue about league speedway) and the US style handicap meeting taking place this week is at the top end of Warriors entertainment.

I have said many times...

Literally tens of millions of pounds will be, and have been, spent in the top two divisions in  particular, on riders who clearly haven't grown the sport in the past two decades by their presence...

Yet, a pittance on marketing, which may have delivered better results...

And also there has been a complete reluctance to "try something new" when "same old, same old" clearly wasn't (and still isn't) working...

The (previous) NDL seemed to be the most successful and best ran league by a considerable distance...

Maybe someone should reflect on why that was....

• Like 3