British Speedway Forum

Nora Speedway

11 hours ago, secsy1 said:

Thanks for the information it is appreciated.

Checked out the ARH Heathens Facebook pages, but does anyone know what or who are A.R.H. as cannot see what it refers to?

If it is a sponsor, then it tells you nothing but would like to know what or who it refers to.

Andy Hawthorne I would imagine

On 2/18/2023 at 7:49 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

This is what the 7 February statement says  (I must admit I haven't read the Speedy Star article):

Competing at events held on non SCB Homologated (licenced) Tracks and / or events for which an SCB Event Permit has not been issued.

The SCB wishes to bring the following to the attention of all riders holding an SCB Riders Registration.

1. Personal Accident Insurance.
Your British Speedway Insurance cover is NOT valid at non SCB Permitted events and / or on non SCB Homologated tracks.
Riders are strongly advised to check the level of Personal Accident Cover provided by the organiser.
Additionally, riders should consider taking out an additional Personal Accident Insurance policy.

2. Injury at a non SCB Permitted Event and / or on a non SCB Homologated Track.
In the event of rider who holds an SCB Riders Registration sustaining any injury at either a non SCB Permitted Event and / or at a non SCB Homologated track, a ‘Fit to Return’ letter from a their doctor / consultant must be submitted to the SCB prior to resuming racing at an SCB Permitted event on an SCB Homologated track.

3. Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund.
In the event of any injury sustained at a non SCB Permitted Event and / or on a non SCB Homologated track, with the exception of whilst competing for ‘Team GB’ anywhere in the world, you will not be entitled to any funds or other benefits from the SRBF.

4. BSPL Riders Agreement.
Riders who have a BSPL Rider Agreement with a BSPL Promoter / Club must seek permission from their promoter / club prior to competing in non SCB Permitted Events and / or on non SCB Homologated tracks.

The first two seem pretty reasonable to me but the NORA advanced licence gives pretty decent cover :

Scunthorpe Raceway Licence & Memberhsip - NORA Motorsport (nora92.com)

The third one is extraordinarily petty (possibly even vicious) and appears to me to be outside of the stated aims of the fund :

'The Fund was registered as a Charity for the purpose of assisting British Speedway Racers, their dependants and family, following serious or life-changing Speedway related accidents' . There is nothing about SCB events only and the fund is a charity which is entirely independent of the SCB.

The fourth is not enforceable. If a rider is refused permission by the  BSPL, in my view that constitutes a clear case of restraint of trade which is illegal in relevant case law. 

I think your final point could be the very important one. Just how the new league is described ('speedway' or 'dirt track' ) might make all the difference. 

Reference the recent serious injury to Jack Thomas.

1. Was he covered by the personal accident cover provided by the training organiser ?.

2. Is he entitled to any funds or benefits from the SRBF ?.

If the answer is no to either or both then I suggest the SCB gets it,s own house in order before preaching to Nora 92.

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

1. Was he covered by the personal accident cover provided by the training organiser ?.

If the answer is no to either or both then I suggest the SCB gets it,s own house in order before preaching to Nora 92.

and as you don’t know the answer perhaps you get your own house in order before trying to stir things up. Even I don’t think the chairman of the sport would run a practice session on his own track without insurance in order.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heathen52 said:

I think the last two posts are almost certainly correct. It is almost unthinkable that any kind of meeting would be run without either the track providing insurance or it being available to the rider to purchase.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

and as you don’t know the answer perhaps you get your own house in order before trying to stir things up. Even I don’t think the chairman of the sport would run a practice session on his own track without insurance in order.

I have now been advised that as Jack Thomas was privately hiring Scunthorpe for practice, no medical insurance was included - this is actually stated in the terms of the hire. That is not to say Scunthorpe were at fault in any way. 

As it was not an injury incurred during an SCB meeting, then based upon Jim Lawrence's Speedy Star statement he would not be entitled to SRBF assistance.

53 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I have now been advised that as Jack Thomas was privately hiring Scunthorpe for practice, no medical insurance was included - this is actually stated in the terms of the hire. That is not to say Scunthorpe were at fault in any way. 

As it was not an injury incurred during an SCB meeting, then based upon Jim Lawrence's Speedy Star statement he would not be entitled to SRBF assistance.

Standard SCB insurance only covers you for life or loss of limb , ‘ private hire ‘ has its own rules as you state. Private hire also can mean no medical cover in place, see Scunthorpes own adverts. You pay your money, you take your chance !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Standard SCB insurance only covers you for life or loss of limb , ‘ private hire ‘ has its own rules as you state. Private hire also can mean no medical cover in place, see Scunthorpes own adverts. You pay your money, you take your chance !

You're absolutely right here. Scunthorpe do make it absolutely clear that no medical insurance is provided in their hire conditions, so they cannot in any way be blamed if an accident occurs during a private hire session and the rider has not taken out adequate insurance cover. 

The position regarding SRBF assistance is not quite so clear, but it would be extremely difficult to justify assisting a rider injured in a private session and then refuse to do so if the same occurred in a NORA meeting (for myself, I think it would be hard to justify the latter refusal anyway). 

20 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

You're absolutely right here. Scunthorpe do make it absolutely clear that no medical insurance is provided in their hire conditions, so they cannot in any way be blamed if an accident occurs during a private hire session and the rider has not taken out adequate insurance cover. 

The position regarding SRBF assistance is not quite so clear, but it would be extremely difficult to justify assisting a rider injured in a private session and then refuse to do so if the same occurred in a NORA meeting (for myself, I think it would be hard to justify the latter refusal anyway). 

One big(gish) difference is that the Scunthorpe promotion hold an annual public collection for the SRBF, as do all the BSPA clubs.

As far as l'm aware, the NORA club on the IoW doesnt do that.

11 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

One big(gish) difference is that the Scunthorpe promotion hold an annual public collection for the SRBF, as do all the BSPA clubs.

Even if that were true, speedway fans contribute to the SRBF on the basis that it will assist a rider injured while taking part in speedway, wherever that maybe. I very much doubt that one single one would draw a distinction between Ben Morley, for example, being injured at Kent or being injured at Isle of Wight. This is about riders, not who contributes to the fund.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Most NORA meetings will take place at tracks that have SRBF collections.

How is Jack Thomas hiring  Scunny any different from Barry Bishop hiring Plymouth?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

So Plymouth have been forced out of running NORA92 racing by the BSPL! How come they allow NORA events at Scunthorpe and many other tracks?

Is this a case of not being able to run a p*ss up in a brewery and not wanting to be shown up?

Presentation of some evidence that this has actually happened would be good . Several other tracks that run SCB speedway are also running Nora events so something doesn’t add up.

9 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Presentation of some evidence that this has actually happened would be good . Several other tracks that run SCB speedway are also running Nora events so something doesn’t add up.

The press release from Warriors Shale Track Club says that the Plymouth promotion have told them that they cannot hire the stadium due to pressure from SCB. I will alter my original post to SCB instead of BSPL who I still suspect are behind this.