British Speedway Forum

The Tyre problem

tonyd

Last year my grandson and I were at the Peterborough v Sheffield match where there was all the trouble with the tyres not being fit for purpose on the day. The problem with the tyres had been a regular problem at this and a couple of other tracks and discussions took place between all and sundry about the problem and then it all went quiet. 

Has anything been resolved regarding this issue apart from supplying each riders with two tyres instead of one for a meeting?  

I seem to remember Scott Nicholls offering to assist with any testing, was this ever taken up?

Does anyone know if anything has been sorted out regarding this serious problem or is it another head in the sand job and hope no rider ends up seriously injured?

On 1/15/2023 at 8:45 PM, tonyd said:

Last year my grandson and I were at the Peterborough v Sheffield match where there was all the trouble with the tyres not being fit for purpose on the day. The problem with the tyres had been a regular problem at this and a couple of other tracks and discussions took place between all and sundry about the problem and then it all went quiet. 

Has anything been resolved regarding this issue apart from supplying each riders with two tyres instead of one for a meeting?  

I seem to remember Scott Nicholls offering to assist with any testing, was this ever taken up?

Does anyone know if anything has been sorted out regarding this serious problem or is it another head in the sand job and hope no rider ends up seriously injured?

I think I read that the tyres that were issued and used in that meeting had been previously allocated to a previous meeting and not used. There was some considerable time between the meetings and I don't think they had been wisely stored. I don't think the authorities were that worried, along with the manufacturer,  and it was thought it was unlikely to be repeated again.  

On 1/17/2023 at 3:02 PM, Tsunami said:

. I don't think the authorities were that worried, along with the manufacturer,    

That doesn't surprise me as they are not the ones using them 

On 1/17/2023 at 3:02 PM, Tsunami said:

and it was thought it was unlikely to be repeated again.  

At the time it was said this had been a problem (tyres giving out) at tracks other than just the Peterborough's track, it will be interesting to see if there are any further problems this year. 

I think as it seems there has been no official closure to this problem I am going to stick with my "head in the sand" comment. If there has been an official comment / closure then has it been made public? After all we the paying public had a meeting spoiled and cut short because of the problem. 

44 minutes ago, tonyd said:

That doesn't surprise me as they are not the ones using them 

At the time it was said this had been a problem (tyres giving out) at tracks other than just the Peterborough's track, it will be interesting to see if there are any further problems this year. 

I think as it seems there has been no official closure to this problem I am going to stick with my "head in the sand" comment. If there has been an official comment / closure then has it been made public? After all we the paying public had a meeting spoiled and cut short because of the problem. 

Speedway continually shoots itself in the foot...tyres have been an issue for many decades (too narrow, too deep, different composition/manufacturer etc etc) You'd think it would have been sorted to everyone's satisfaction?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

At a recent Nuneaton S C meeting, Martin Smolinski said that the Anlas GP tyres were only produced to last two races. (one edge per race).

Don't know whether that is the same compound as used for UK racing.

...and one wonders why speedway has become expensive for the competitors when it should be about keeping costs down.

• Like 1