British Speedway Forum

Ablitt

20 minutes ago, mc131 said:

Several? There's 2 he's certainly got the beating of trigger and killeen imo the rest I ain't so sure time will tell tho. 

Might be worth looking at a video of Ply V Oxford in NL where a young 17 year old Killeen rode against Ablitt.

Killeen scored a 5 ride paid max plus a pointless 6th ride in his one and ONLY N/L meeting.

In the only race he met Ablitt he beat him and beat him well.

One swallow does not make a summer but this meeting was in June (his first ever UK meeting) and he only rode 4 meetings in his first season in UK racing.

Considering Nathan had been riding for Poole since late March maybe says something ??. Maybe Killeen could prove a decent rider for Oxford against other young reserves.

Only saw him in that one meeting on Youtube so no idea what long term prospect he may be.

31 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Might be worth looking at a video of Ply V Oxford in NL where a young 17 year old Killeen rode against Ablitt.

Killeen scored a 5 ride paid max plus a pointless 6th ride in his one and ONLY N/L meeting.

One swallow does not make a summer but this meeting was in June (his first ever UK meeting) and he only rode 4 meetings in his first season in UK racing.

Considering Nathan had been riding for Poole since late March maybe says something ??. Maybe Killeen could prove a decent rider for Oxford against other young reserves.

Only saw him in that one meeting on Youtube so no idea what long term prospect he may be.

I was at that meeting.

But it is worth noting that Killeen leant his track craft at Pinjar Park [142m]. Ablitt v Killeen at NSS might be a different proposition.

Also Aaran Butcher got paid 14 from 5 rides - it was not the strongest Plymouth team.

58 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I agree with you , he certainly has potential and has got the right attitude . I am sure he will progress in to a very good rider.

cant agree at all blue, surely with the experience and knowledge he gained at poole last season he should have been a lot further up  the nl averages table ?

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I no exactly what killeen has done in nl only, I've also said b4 he should of been giving a run of just nl to ease I to league racing not just chucked in deep end of cl again but it might pay off. 

On 1/9/2023 at 10:57 AM, bloom89 said:

Interview in this weeks speedway star saying he only has a NDL spot to start the season with. Apparently he was in Poole's plans until the limit got dropped and when he started ringing other teams they were already sorted. 

The points limit didn't get dropped.  Was always intended to be 40 for this year.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

The points limit didn't get dropped.  Was always intended to be 40 for this year.  

Not according to the interview with Ablitt in the Star..

A two year plan was drawn up re team averages it states, hence they had planned in this seasons team and then had to make changes.. 

However, let's be honest, thinking a plan would last two years is probably a bit naive...

Having plans lasting ONE year is an achievement sometimes...:D

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

The points limit should (among other things) be a function  of the number of teams in the league. So when Newcastle  dropped out the logical move would have been to push the limit back up to 42.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Not according to the interview with Ablitt in the Star..

A two year plan was drawn up re team averages it states, hence they had planned in this seasons team and then had to make changes.. 

However, let's be honest, thinking a plan would last two years is probably a bit naive...

Having plans lasting ONE year is an achievement sometimes...:D:

FIVE year plans get dropped after one season, so there's no reason to believe a 2 year plan would be any different 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Not according to Danny Ford who stated up until the pre-AGM Board meeting (a couple of weeks prior) the points limit was still 42 points but it all changed at the AGM.

I'm seeing him this week so I'll ask him.

45 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Not according to Danny Ford who stated up until the pre-AGM Board meeting (a couple of weeks prior) the points limit was still 42 points but it all changed at the AGM.

I'm seeing him this week so I'll ask him.

Make sure you come up for air:rofl:

• Haha 3

Subject seems to have veered of Ablitt :D.

I think for Nathan, as we are up to 8 teams in NDL, it will be so important that he pushes his NDL av up  as soon as possible to show people that he is progressing.

He firstly needs to get his gating sorted so he doesn't have to keep chasing and then  with his Champ & NDL experience from last season he should be able to easily do that IF he is progressing as so many expect.

On that basis then indeed he should get a Champ reserve slot sooner rather than later.

I am sure that missing out on the 2020 (Covid) season and not so many meetings in 2021 has probably hindered his development for those 2 years. He did have some decent meetings if you look at his scores in 2021 on the Speedway Statistics site so there is definitely a decent rider inside of him. Just look at his scores at the bottom of his 2021 results/scores to see that. Remember he was only 17 in March 2021 so he did those as a 17 year old  Just needs to push on and show all that he is more than capable.

• Like 1

Don't think Ablitt has ever had much luck. 

Had to ride for Kent in 2019 after Jon Cook returned to Eastbourne and took them up which deprived him of NDL there where he'd grown up and would probably been a shoe in. 

Had a bad concussion early on with Kent in 2019 debut season and missed most of season. 

Covid did for 2020. Probably lost a lot of confidence due to that deep concussion. 

Got NDL chance at Eastbourne in 2021 and did well. Got some CL chances there too before Club went bust. 

Had NDL spot at Belle Vue Colts in 2022 and with Poole in CL. Both very different tracks to what he was used to. 

He clearly needs some continuity which he's never had. 

Hopefully switch to Iwade, a track he's trained at a lot probably and time in Poland will give him space to gain more experience and ultimately back to CL

The plan is. Is to have no plan. That way the plan can not fail.  :D                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Whatever the plan was or wasn't it certainly failed Nathan. I can only thank him for his efforts last season and wish him well for this. Remember Nathan, once a Pirate always a Pirate. I for one would welcome him back on board anytime.  :drink:.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

He firstly needs to get his gating sorted

actual gating he wasn't too bad, it was the run to bend 1 where he lost it a lot, that will get better with confidence.

24 minutes ago, stevehone said:

actual gating he wasn't too bad, it was the run to bend 1 where he lost it a lot, that will get better with confidence.

Tbf to Nathan if you watch his first meeting for Poole to final league meeting the improvement was a lot. Esp how he rode the track and where best to ride the track at certain points of the race. 

Shame he isn't back to see if he could kick on a bit and maybe increase the average up to 3?

14 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Never thought I’d see a 2.00 reserve get his own thread but here we are.

Well it is a former Poole reserve, so I am surprised that you are surprised! Quite shocking there isn't a Drew one tbh :D

Interestingly the last two covers of the Speedway Star are two former Poole riders! I wonder if Danny King on next week's ;)

14 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Tbf to Nathan if you watch his first meeting for Poole to final league meeting the improvement was a lot. Esp how he rode the track and where best to ride the track at certain points of the race. 

Shame he isn't back to see if he could kick on a bit and maybe increase the average up to 3?

Well it is a former Poole reserve, so I am surprised that you are surprised! Quite shocking there isn't a Drew one tbh :D

Interestingly the last two covers of the Speedway Star are two former Poole riders! I wonder if Danny King on next week's ;)

He possibly would go up to 3 beating weaker reserves bearing in mind his actual CMA 1.41 or 2 incl BP against plenty of stronger reserves last  season.

From Poole perspective though the drop to 38 points team limit plus loss of King has in a way forced Danny's hand. He needs stronger reserves to potentially gain extra points to compensate for the loss of that established 3rd H/L. It would be wrong to expect that Ben Cook will fill that spot (although most of us hope he does). Newman & Roynan fit that bill and would not surprise me that both climb to 5 plus per meeting AV against so many weaker reserves. That in effect gives Danny more possibilities going forward if he felt he needed to replace a rider. 

Hopefully won't happen,  but Nathan probably would not give us that possibility to sign a decent one,  plus with the 2 point for a win (irrespective of margin) plus the extra 1 point for the aggr win means I think that strong reserves could be so important in keeping away matches as close as possible, plus then have these 2 stronger reserves hoover up plenty of points at home against weaker/inexperienced reserves for the BP.

5 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

He possibly would go up to 3 beating weaker reserves bearing in mind his actual CMA 1.41 or 2 incl BP against plenty of stronger reserves last  season.

From Poole perspective though the drop to 38 points team limit plus loss of King has in a way forced Danny's hand. He needs stronger reserves to potentially gain extra points to compensate for the loss of that established 3rd H/L. It would be wrong to expect that Ben Cook will fill that spot (although most of us hope he does). Newman & Roynan fit that bill and would not surprise me that both climb to 5 plus per meeting AV against so many weaker reserves. That in effect gives Danny more possibilities going forward if he felt he needed to replace a rider. 

Hopefully won't happen,  but Nathan probably would not give us that possibility to sign a decent one,  plus with the 2 point for a win (irrespective of margin) plus the extra 1 point for the aggr win means I think that strong reserves could be so important in keeping away matches as close as possible, plus then have these 2 stronger reserves hoover up plenty of points at home against weaker/inexperienced reserves for the BP.

Team limit is 40 points!