British Speedway Forum

Monarchs Academy 2023

edmon

1 hour ago, Jukebox Romeo said:

Roynon’s 2023 average is 6.00 because his NDL MA, per the final issue of 2022 averages, was 6.00. Final averages would have been agreed by all teams at the NDL AGM. That part seems fairly straightforward to me.

The reason his final 2022 average was 6.00 is where there could be some confusion. From memory, it was decided last season that the Plymouth vs Armadale match would not count towards the averages due to it being a meaningless match so late in the season and therefore potentially open to manipulation (again, from recollection I believe the same thing happened with Plymouth vs Glasgow in the Championship). Now, whether you agree with that decision or not is very much up for debate (I certainly don’t as it sets a dangerous precedent), but ultimately that was the decision that was made by the governing body at the time. If I am remembering any of this incorrectly then someone please feel free to correct me,.

Whatever your view on whether that match should have counted towards the averages, I’m not sure that Edinburgh or Roynon can take any criticism here with regard to the 2023 season. Every team in the league knew his final average, he was available to them all. And Roynon is willing to do a 600-mile round trip to race NDL which should be commended.

I’m also not sure what people think the pay rates are in the NDL but I would severely doubt he will make ‘a stack’ of money.

Weirdly enough the academy were the only place to offer him a spot I believe. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Weirdly enough the academy were the only place to offer him a spot I believe. 

He’s hardly up and coming though,the NDL is becoming an outlet for some easy earnings for a number of these “older” riders.Also Bickley and Hook should not be riding at this level if they have any ambitions.That’s speedway in GB though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

He’s hardly up and coming though,the NDL is becoming an outlet for some easy earnings for a number of these “older” riders.Also Bickley and Hook should not be riding at this level if they have any ambitions.That’s speedway in GB though.

same can be said the likes of Jenkins who is riding in all 3 Leagues

• Like 1

I have no issue with Roynon riding in the NL, my issue is with his average. As I see it:

1) Roynon didn't have a NL ave when he signed for Plymouth, so raced on an assessed 6.00 ave (double is Champ ave)

2) Roynon didn't ride enough matches for a new ave, so still doesn't have a NL average. Should he not then be starting 2023 on double his Champ average (3.56 = 7.12)? The logic for keeping him on a 6.00 ave is beyond me

3) I believe his 4th match for Plymouth didn't count for the averages as it was after the cut-off date for the playoffs. This is the same as what happened in the top 2 leagues. However it makes no sense in this instance, as wether or not the match took place before the cut-off date, neither Plymouth or Armadale could make the top 4!

I strongly dislike this rule as the only possible reason for it, is to stop riders losing on purpose to lower their averages, which is basically suggesting, they expect riders to cheat - a very dissapointing situation!

4) what's even worse is Ashton Boughton ride a 4th match after Roynon's 4th match, but his did count giving him an average. What's the logic of a rule that means a guest will get a new average but a rider in a 1-7 won't?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Islander15 said:

1. The 6.00 wasn’t assessed, it was his Championship average doubled which is how you equate an average when a rider is dropping down. 
2. He did do enough meetings last season! He did 4 meetings which is all that is needed to get a new average. 
3. Like I said previously, if for some reason they’re ignoring last season, then he should drop down on his current Championship average doubled. 

Similar to what I've said, I just took half a page to say it though lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

And the 4 meeting rule blocked my rider from competing at the end of the year. Constantly told soon as a wheel is turned in the 4th meeting an average for the following season would be applied 

I don't think the 4 meeting rule "blocked" anyone, but Harrison & James were clever enough not to ride a 4th meeting.

Edited by szkocjasid

8 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I have no issue with Roynon riding in the NL, my issue is with his average. 

4) what's even worse is Ashton Boughton ride a 4th match after Roynon's 4th match, but his did count giving him an average. What's the logic of a rule that means a guest will get a new average but a rider in a 1-7 won't?

This

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The big joke is the ignoring of the forth meeting,  Boughen didn't get that luxury and saw his average nearly double which must have had an impact on his bargaining power and hurts Leicester's team building capabilities 

Boughen could have chosen not to ride in a 4th match, but just wanted to race as much as possible, credit to him for doing that. It's a shame, a rule that encourages riders not to ride exists though!

The rule seems to be brought in to make things "fair" by not having 3.00 riders race half a season as a guest but keep a 3.00 she fir the next season. But how to the people who vote for this rule, then decide letting Roynon ride on a 6.00 & Congreave on a 4.50 is "fair"?

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't think the 4 meeting rule "blocked" anyone, but Harrison & James were clever enough not to ride a 4th meeting.

We weren't trying to be clever but due to being told 4 meetings means an average meant that it would be foolish to do so potentially our rider could of ended up being a number 1 this season after only 4 meetings. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Boughen could have chosen not to ride in a 4th match, but just wanted to race as much as possible, credit to him for doing that. It's a shame, a rule that encourages riders not to ride exists though!

The rule seems to be brought in to make things "fair" by not having 3.00 riders race half a season as a guest but keep a 3.00 she fir the next season. But how to the people who vote for this rule, then decide letting Roynon ride on a 6.00 & Congreave on a 4.50 is "fair"?

Surely they should just treat all riders the same and use the 10 match rolling average rule? 

ie you dont get an official average until you have completed ten matches meaning your "assessed average" is dropped as soon as you start your 11th meeting...

And if clubs want to replace a "new rider" before those ten matches, then his actual average (not including his assessed figure), up until that point is used..

It would mean that riders who maybe dont start too well, and drop their assesed average will be less likely to get replaced before they have had a fair chance to show what they can do..

And riders who do start well and score above their assesed figure, but get injured, provide the team with a higher figure to get replacements in with..

It seems daft to reward failure but dissuade those who could do well, from riding, which currently happens..

If I was any good and came in towards the end of season, I would be crap for the first 4 matches, get my average down, and then open up the table for my offers for the following year..

A "wunderkind" going from a 3pt to a 1pt average would name his price..

But a club wouldnt allow ten matches with him not scoring well..

Unless, of course, they already had given up on that season and were looking towards the next..;)

Here's an idea:

Instead of assessed averages being an absolute (and arbitrary) figure replace them with notional appearances with notional points and rides.

Example

Let's say that our rolling averages are over 8 matches (but the principle is the same whatever number you use)

Assessed average of 4.5 equates to 32 rides and 36 points. 

Say our rider scores 12 from 5 on his debut.

We remove 4 rides and 4.5 points from his rolling totals and add the 5 rides and 12 points

New average is 5.27

Consider how this might give averages more reflective of their abilities for Adam Roynon, Joe Alcock, George Congreve, Luke Killeen, Ashton Boughen, Luke Harrison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Here's an idea:

Instead of assessed averages being an absolute (and arbitrary) figure replace them with notional appearances with notional points and rides.

Example

Let's say that our rolling averages are over 8 matches (but the principle is the same whatever number you use)

We remove 4 rides and 4.5 points from his rolling totals and add the 5 rides and 12 points

New average is 5.27

Consider how this might give averages more reflective of their abilities for Adam Roynon, Joe Alcock, George Congreve, Luke Killeen, Ashton Boughen, Luke Harrison.

Not a bad idea, that, and wouldn't take much to implement.

Sadly, it's too late for this season.

I think we should stick to the current rule which is very simple to understand.

Every rider in the NDL gets a new current average after completing 4 NDL matches.  (Unless your name is Adam Roynon)

Any NDL rider who doesn't have a current NDL average is assessed at 2 x your current CL average (unless your name is Adam Roynon, in which case it is assessed at  2 x your CL average of 2 years ago).

How can it be any simpler?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

Here's an idea:

Example

New average is 5.27

Not a bad idea at all