British Speedway Forum

BEN FUND BONANZA SAT 25 MARCH 5PM AT KINGS LYNN

My first meeting for a long long time, 

Despite the uninspiring line up, the meeting itself was enjoyable, King was a class the above the rest and was a fully deserved winner, lindgren was the most entertaining, by missing the gate in every race he made some sublime passes, 

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm not sure being called Victor Meldrew or a 'clown' is particularly abusive, in fact the worst word on the entire thread is 'crap', and you used that yourself.

Would be nice if you could acually have a discussion rather than slagging something off (as you normally do) and then disappearing when people disagree. Other than the delays which to be honest I didn't really notice as I was chatting to lots of people I hadn't seen for months, why did you think it was 'crap'? There was passing and close racing from the first heat to the last on a good surface between a well matched field and it raised money for a good cause. 

As somebody has said perhaps speedway is no longer for you. 

I would say Victor Meldrew and Clown is insulting, not abusive. I think ‘crap’ was the taken in bad context, understandable. From what I read the long waits between action is also what really puts me off (crap). I want race after race, as per Wealdstone, not standing around in the cold. Especially for those less fortunate. That’s not entertaining. You stated that you didn’t even understand his comment.
Just get on with the meeting is all he meant, as I read it. Pleased you had a good day for a great cause. 

28 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

I would say Victor Meldrew and Clown is insulting, not abusive. I think ‘crap’ was the taken in bad context, understandable. From what I read the long waits between action is also what really puts me off (crap). I want race after race, as per Wealdstone, not standing around in the cold. Especially for those less fortunate. That’s not entertaining. You stated that you didn’t even understand his comment.
Just get on with the meeting is all he meant, as I read it. Pleased you had a good day for a great cause. 

In fairness we had 27 heats, a parade and a sun delay in two and three quarter hours, is that really that bad? Were the gaps between races really that long? I'm not so sure. 

I think around ninety minutes for a standard 15 heat meeting is about right personally so that wasn't too bad last night IMO. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

In fairness we had 27 heats, a parade and a sun delay in two and three quarter hours, is that really that bad? Were the gaps between races really that long? I'm not so sure. 

I think around ninety minutes for a standard 15 heat meeting is about right personally so that wasn't too bad last night IMO. 

27 minutes... + 26 x 2 minutes = 1 hour 19 minutes, what happened to the other 1 and a half hours? I wasn't there, so I'm not particularly bothered specifically about the Ben Fund Bonanza but it is a problem for me generally throughout the sport. I often think that promoters think that if the fans have been sent home after an hour and 20 minutes they think that we think we've not had value for money... that's if they think of the fans at all of course!

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

27 minutes... + 26 x 2 minutes = 1 hour 19 minutes, what happened to the other 1 and a half hours? I wasn't there, so I'm not particularly bothered specifically about the Ben Fund Bonanza but it is a problem for me generally throughout the sport. I often think that promoters think that if the fans have been sent home after an hour and 20 minutes they think that we think we've not had value for money... that's if they think of the fans at all of course!

To be fair I was chatting quite a bit between heats so didn't notice the delays but I guess there was some farting about when the men in black and the youngsters had their races, plus the men in black heats take far longer than a minute and we had various interviews and bits and pieces related to the Ben Fund going on on the centre grey too. 

I general though I agree with you, speedway meetings take far too long (especially at Lynn) but I thought that what was essentially two and a half hours between first race and last was OK for a hefty programme like that, I certainly didn't expect it to be finished any quicker. In fact seeing as I had my young daughter with me I was prepared and half expecting to leave before the final so I was surprised it was all done with by 7:45.

21 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

To be fair I was chatting quite a bit between heats so didn't notice the delays but I guess there was some farting about when the men in black and the youngsters had their races, plus the men in black heats take far longer than a minute and we had various interviews and bits and pieces related to the Ben Fund going on on the centre grey too. 

I general though I agree with you, speedway meetings take far too long (especially at Lynn) but I thought that what was essentially two and a half hours between first race and last was OK for a hefty programme like that, I certainly didn't expect it to be finished any quicker. In fact seeing as I had my young daughter with me I was prepared and half expecting to leave before the final so I was surprised it was all done with by 7:45.

I was being very literal with my timings, obviously there's track grading and such that's needed, especially with the demise of the track raker... but it does make you wonder where the time goes?

I do think/hope the timing of meetings is something Whizzer Morris will have a look at in his new role. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Thank you all this is the last post I will ever make on BSF.

That's  your call to make. I have seen you logging in so  you might see this. If clown upsets you then i apologise. It wasn't meant in a abusive or insulting way. It was just you moaned about the line up, but watched it anyway, and the first word on your post after watching it  was "crap meeting". It took a lot of time and effort to get the meeting on, and  i thought you could of worded it  different if the meeting took to long for you.