British Speedway Forum

Predictions for 2023

10 minutes ago, Technik said:

With most teams at or near completion it's easier to gauge the potential of each team.

BERWICK; This is a very strong looking Bandits side, with the experience of Schlein to be the father figure over a fairly youthful team. If Flint & Knudsen can add to their tally then a play-off slot is assured. They will struggle at reserve more away from home.

BIRMINGHAM; A team built to a tight budget, Morris will score well but will he be motivated when the going gets tough. I think another hard season for all at Perry Bar.

EDINGBURGH; Fantastic that the Monarchs come to tapes but the loss of Masters will hit hard & his replacement in Cook is at best unpredictable in recent seasons. I cant see much happening towards the play offs

GLASGOW; Money talks for the Tigers & again a massive side has been put in place with the single plan to win the title, can this be the season? if they can stay injury free there is every chance.

OXFORD; A huge front line in Nicholls Masters & Kerr but will it be enough? The reserve pair are very green & a lot will rest on the shoulders of Heeps to bag a haul of points if they are to succeed. A good chance to make the play off series.

PLYMOUTH; Another team built to a budget & much like Brum I believe they are in for a hard time & no play off in 23

POOLE; Five places filled & no doubt another big season will be expected at Wimbourne Road. The Cook's & Thomas continue to grow then the Pirates will please the home faithful. We await the reserves but I feel no matter a play off spot is the norm here.

REDCAR; The Bears are a tough call, in Riss, Wright & King they have a strong spearhead but there is a long tail for that head to wag. It's going to be close but I dont think this is Redcar's year.

SCUNTHORPE; There will be a lot of last heat deciders at the EWR in the coming season but weather the Scorpions have the firepower to get the result in the big races remains to be seen.

So for the play offs I have Berwick, Poole, Glasgow & Oxford 

I believe top 6 for playoffs, so still another two teams to add ;)

Getting my popcorn ready for when @lewy and Mike see about Plymouth being compared to Birmingham! :D

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Technik said:

With most teams at or near completion it's easier to gauge the potential of each team.

BERWICK; This is a very strong looking Bandits side, with the experience of Schlein to be the father figure over a fairly youthful team. If Flint & Knudsen can add to their tally then a play-off slot is assured. They will struggle at reserve more away from home.

BIRMINGHAM; A team built to a tight budget, Morris will score well but will he be motivated when the going gets tough. I think another hard season for all at Perry Bar.

EDINGBURGH; Fantastic that the Monarchs come to tapes but the loss of Masters will hit hard & his replacement in Cook is at best unpredictable in recent seasons. I cant see much happening towards the play offs

GLASGOW; Money talks for the Tigers & again a massive side has been put in place with the single plan to win the title, can this be the season? if they can stay injury free there is every chance.

OXFORD; A huge front line in Nicholls Masters & Kerr but will it be enough? The reserve pair are very green & a lot will rest on the shoulders of Heeps to bag a haul of points if they are to succeed. A good chance to make the play off series.

PLYMOUTH; Another team built to a budget & much like Brum I believe they are in for a hard time & no play off in 23

POOLE; Five places filled & no doubt another big season will be expected at Wimbourne Road. The Cook's & Thomas continue to grow then the Pirates will please the home faithful. We await the reserves but I feel no matter a play off spot is the norm here.

REDCAR; The Bears are a tough call, in Riss, Wright & King they have a strong spearhead but there is a long tail for that head to wag. It's going to be close but I dont think this is Redcar's year.

SCUNTHORPE; There will be a lot of last heat deciders at the EWR in the coming season but weather the Scorpions have the firepower to get the result in the big races remains to be seen.

So for the play offs I have Berwick, Poole, Glasgow & Oxford 

Interesting comments, personally I think Plymouth look strong & don't see Redcar having a long tail. Don't see Heeps scoring the points you suggest he may need to.

There's a few comments about Glasgow looking the strongest and certainly if all goes to plan they look a good team. But I can also look at the team & see some issues: most expect Claus Vissing to perform closer to his previous Glasgow form, but what if his Birmingham form continues? What if Marcin Nowak can only score points at Ashfield? Complin has shown flashes of form, but not been consistent. Pijper is very promising, but the Champ is a far cry from the NL.

Edited by szkocjasid

33 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

There's a few comments about Glasgow looking the strongest and certainly if all goes to plan they look a good team. But I can also look at the team & see some issues: most expect Claus Vissing to perform closer to his previous Glasgow form, but what if his Birmingham form continues? What if Marcin Nowak can only score points at Ashfield? Complin has shown flashes of form, but not been consistent. Pijper is very promising, but the Champ is a far cry from the NL.

Other than tongue in cheek you won't see many (any?) Glasgow fans saying that. There are definite holes you can pick at, as there are with all the sides. 

I don't envisage vissing to be 8.5 rider in 2019 but somewhere between 6.5 & 7 riding at 2 or 4 rather than no.1. I've said my piece on Harris and probably complin too and not convinced by either signing.

It's an exciting side but not favourites for me, 7 teams with not much between them on paper and 2 weak teams beginning with B unfortunately would be my tuppence worth

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Get what you are saying but you could say the same about 3 or 4 riders in every side. Vissing is a stonewall improver, Nowak might struggle on the two tightest circuits but should be fine elsewhere with the correct machinery. Can understand the doubts about Complin but think he'll be a very different rider to 2022.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

What if my auntie had b*ws.

She would be my Uncle.

• Haha 1

It’s all about clicking at the same time, will be interesting to see how Pooles riders that are now racing in Poland and doubling up in the premier will do with the extra rides and traveling, last year for Glasgow towards the important end of the season the riders that were doing a lot of rides all over Europe seemed to run out of steam.