British Speedway Forum

Predictions for 2023

On 12/24/2022 at 6:20 PM, YerRopes said:

Tbh Lisa, I thought it a very complementary post re Poole. 

For whatever reasons, Poole cannot compete in the top league anymore. 

Sadly, neither can Swindon.. 

However, your success has continued in the Championship.

Poole are ruthless at times, but that is what has brought you so many trophies over the years. 

I think they can, but Ford makes more ££ racing on his preferred race night in the 2nd tier.  Ford has always been about ££ first. Otherwise he would still be in the Prem, probably making less ££ but on a bigger stage. Poole fans have always claimed they are well supported.

Edited by Bald Bloke

9 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I think they can, but Ford makes more ££ racing on his preferred race night in the 2nd tier.  Ford has always been about ££ first. Otherwise he would still be in the Prem, probably making less ££ but on a bigger stage. Poole fans have always claimed they are well supported.

We are 

• Like 1

Glasgow look quite good but a few sides that could be up there, Plymouths with one rider left could be the main challengers, they have a very good balance and if Barker hits the ground running, him and Starke will be a strong engine room, then it’s down to their final signing and how Dan reacts to his layoff, if they have a great number six changing places with Dan or maybe Starke if he starts slow, they will have an ace up their sleeve all season.

Any team with. Solid top four and one flying reserve will always do exceptionally well.

Only team that looks weak to me is Birmingham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marko said:

Glasgow look quite good but a few sides that could be up there, Plymouths with one rider left could be the main challengers, they have a very good balance and if Barker hits the ground running, him and Starke will be a strong engine room, then it’s down to their final signing and how Dan reacts to his layoff, if they have a great number six changing places with Dan or maybe Starke if he starts slow, they will have an ace up their sleeve all season.

Any team with. Solid top four and one flying reserve will always do exceptionally well.

Only team that looks weak to me is Birmingham.

Plymouth look very good with 3 heat leaders and Dan Gilkes ready to hit the big time if he avoids injury. I agree about Birmingham, they look like potential wooden spoon candidates in 2023. 

On 12/24/2022 at 7:37 PM, Skidder1 said:

It's not a case of 'cannot compete' more 'don't want to' as Danny Ford said on Wednesday the Prem is always a possibility but not with the restrictions on racenights. Nothing is forever. In fact he did mention in passing that the Prem in 2024 may even have 8 teams, just didn't say that Poole would be one of them.

Will be Oxford.

My predictions (although form and injury will surely play their part to scupper them...) 

Berwick - not too bad, they will be on the edges of the play-offs all year.

Birmingham - yikes!!! :o

Edinburgh - they've kept 5 of their seven riders from last year and that will be something which they can use to their advantage. Top 4.

Glasgow - a good mix of youth and experience plus a huge home track advantage will make sure that they are around the top places - Top 4. 

Oxford - if Cameron Heeps and Jordan Jenkins can help their top three i can see them being in the play-offs come the end of the season.

Plymouth - if Dan Gilkes can become a heat leader and Paul Starke the strongest no. 2 in the league then this could be their year - Top 4, potential winners.

Poole - Provided they resign Lawson and the Cook's continue their trajectory they will be up there once again - Top 4, potential winners.

Redcar - Jason Edwards and Jake Mulford will be among the strongest reserves in the league and will help their top heavy team immensely. Play-offs for sure.

Scunthorpe - On paper they don't look the strongest but speedway is raced on shale (boom! boom!) so i think they are also capable of reaching the play-offs.

Regardless of whichever team you support have a happy new year everyone! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Glasgow - a good mix of youth and experience plus a huge home track advantage will make sure that they are around the top places - Top 4. 

“Huge home track Advantage “??? 

a track that has more passes in one heat than Wimborne road and Armadale see in an entire season ??

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Scunthorpe - On paper they don't look the strongest but speedway is raced on shale (boom! boom!) so i think they are also capable of reaching the play-offs.

Probably the best number 1 last season, (masters average is beyond I know and Nick Morris’ was massively weighted on home track scoring)

MPT a real bargain on his average, think he’s kept in the 7’s both premier and championship for at least last 3 seasons.

mountain will have been well sort after, after his end of year performances for both Sheffield and Leicester.

Zaine Kennedy coming back of a massive injury but on a very low 4 point ish average will be one of the best #6’s in the country.

and Joe Thompson finished the season better than his brother on a higher average so will be interesting to see how he does on his own without Dan.

8 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

“Huge home track Advantage “??? 

a track that has more passes in one heat than Wimborne road and Armadale see in an entire season ??

Doesn't mean there's no advantage though. We had the highest home average total in the championship last season. And the team imo looks set up for the same this season as basso, nowak, vissing will be far better at home than away. Just because we have a good racetrack doesn't make it less of a home advantage. Otherwise how did belle Vue ever win the prem?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Doesn't mean there's no advantage though. We had the highest home average total in the championship last season. And the team imo looks set up for the same this season as basso, nowak, vissing will be far better at home than away. Just because we have a good racetrack doesn't make it less of a home advantage. Otherwise how did belle Vue ever win the prem?

That is true. Redcar are the ones that don't have home advantage. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

In my mind, there’s a difference between home advantage and home TRACK advantage. I see home track advantage as being a circuit that visiting riders find difficult to master and therefore to pass on. Our high scoring record at home, I reckon, was due to having a team who were capable, on most occasions, of riding our very fair track better than the visitors. Obviously this is partly due to them riding the track more regularly. 

• Thanks 1

Justin Sedgmen remarked that the banking at Glasgow took a bit of getting used to but once you were dialled into it you were sorted. Does this sounds like your definition of Home Track Advantage? Its all a bit academic the track is there to be ridden by both the home and away teams. Unless home teams mess around with the track grading , particularly over the gates - Eastbourne please note! - then surely most tracks are fair, though some are more difficult than others. 

1 hour ago, Beirao said:

Justin Sedgmen remarked that the banking at Glasgow took a bit of getting used to but once you were dialled into it you were sorted. Does this sounds like your definition of Home Track Advantage? Its all a bit academic the track is there to be ridden by both the home and away teams. Unless home teams mess around with the track grading , particularly over the gates - Eastbourne please note! - then surely most tracks are fair, though some are more difficult than others. 

Took a bit of getting used to for his style maybe…..and a pity he didn’t get dialled in until it was too late. 

……….and you’ve answered your own question. “Some are more difficult than others” …….and going by most riders’ opinions, Glasgow isn’t one of them. 

5 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Very good point home track advantage isn’t down to always being small and technical.

Open fast tracks like belle vue and Glasgow have just as much as an advantage cause if you don’t have the right set up you’ll get swallowed up by the home men who are dialled in as seen last season.

• Like 4