British Speedway Forum

Predictions for 2023

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Don't forget it is possible to be bottom for half a season and still win the league, so never give up hope! 

Was that really at the start of the season or after the drubbing at Plymouth / home defeat to Leicester?

It's also possible to finish 4th from bottom & become Champions. No need for panic if your team loses at home in 2023!

Edited by szkocjasid

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Was that really at the start of the season or after the drubbing at Plymouth / home defeat to Leicester?

It's also possible to finish 4th from bottom & become Champions. No need for panic if your team loses at home in 2023!

That was from 2018 in the 'higher league'. Maybe slightly easier as less teams to get past in the table! But can be applied to either league now I think as similar size. 

2 hours ago, spin king said:

My Prediction for the season

(1) Redcar

(2) Glasgow

(3) Poole

(4) Scunthorpe

(5) Plymouth

(6) Berwick

(7) Oxford

(8) Edinburgh

(9) Birmingham

Would agree with you on the top5. Not sure about the 6th place or the order of top 5

Edited by Fromafar

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The order of the top 5 doesn't matter, apart from 1st - no one else gets to pick their play-off group.

Maybe does to the fans through the season especially at home, maybe more home wins at 2nd rather than 5th, although I like'd a good close match 46/44 win in heat 15 was always a good evening, but any loss made it along drive home.

Hardest sport in the world to pick the winner as injuries plays a massive part of all sides  final position in the League . Here’s hoping that all leagues are a success and crowds rise as spectators are needed to keep British Speedway going . The winning team will have the least injuries and have an astute team manager who will make changes to the starting 7 riders at times when there averages allow them too .

Hope attendance’s hold up and support your side as it’s a sport with  dwindling audience numbers , good luck to every rider involved and keep speedway alive in the UK

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

No we're a couple of months into the season, how is everything now feeling about their pre-season predictions?

I think Glasgow and Poole look the standout teams, with the likes of Redcar (not doing as well as I thought) and Oxford (looking better than I thought) behind them. Scunthorpe, Edinburgh, Berwick Plymouth and Birmingham after that.

I had Redcar top, so happy with that.

Then Plymouth, Glasgow, Poole, Scunthorpe & Edinburgh in the top 6.

Glasgow & Poole doing what I expected as top 6 teams.

Scunthorpe started like I expected, but since their changes doing far worse than I predicted!

Plymouth doing far worse than I expected, top 2 not showing their Leicester form. Edinburgh also not doing quite as well as I thought.

Of my predicted bottom 3, Oxford have impressed me, getting more points from their bottom 4. Berwick doing as expected (apart from unexpectedly winning at Edinburgh), while Birmingham probably doing worse than I expected & I predicted them for bottom lol!

Edited by szkocjasid

11 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I had Redcar top, so happy with that.

Then Plymouth, Glasgow, Poole, Scunthorpe & Edinburgh in the top 6.

Glasgow & Poole doing what I expected as top 6 teams.

Scunthorpe started like I expected, but since their changes doing far worse than I predicted!

Plymouth doing far worse than I expected, top 2 not showing their Leicester form. Edinburgh also not doing quite as well as I thought.

Of my predicted bottom 3, Oxford have impressed me, getting more points from their bottom 4. Berwick doing as expected (apart from unexpectedly winning at Edinburgh), while Birmingham probably doing worse than I expected & I predicted them for bottom lol!

None of the Plymouth team are in the Leicester team. 

Edited by mikebaker

1 hour ago, mikebaker said:

None of the Plymouth team are in the Leicester team. 

50 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But they arrived in Plymouth with their 2022 GSAs established with ... Leicester.

What @arnieg said, after their exploits with Leicester in 2022, expected them to carry on in the same vain for Plymouth